Phuket villager braves the surf to rescue tangled turtle

webfact

Phuket villager braves the surf to rescue tangled turtle

By Tanutam Thawan

Screen-Shot-2019-08-18-at-08.19.17.png

A local villager in Phuket’s north has risked his own life to retrieve a young sea turtle caught up in fishermen’s netting. The turtle was spotted, caught up in the branches of a fallen tree along the shores of Mai Khao beach. The monsoon was kicking up big waves and it’s unlikely the locals knew how to swim, especially in the surf conditions.

The local villager makes a few attempts to retrieve the turtle, eventually separating the turtle and netting from the tree branches with a meat cleaver.

After clearing the netting from around the turtle’s flippers and neck, it was taken by an officer from the local Phuket Department of Marine Resources for evaluation and treatment before it will be released back to the sea.

VIDEO: ห้องวีอาร์ ทะเลใต้ // @มานพ สิงห์ 8802

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environment/phuket-villager-braves-the-surf-to-rescue-tangled-turtle

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-08-19

These stories have been coming out endlessly and now its daily. Thailand needs major action now. The government needs major planning and investment in what it and its people do with rubbish. Everyone creates waste but no one knows where it goes. All that stuff from Bangkok disappears somewhere but we rarely hear about where. It's the same across the country in all the towns and cities. Where is it all going? A lot seems to make it into the sea still. A lot is dumped in areas because the government doesn't have any program to deal with it. I see that up in Esarn at my wife's home. There is no real leadership in waste management.

3 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

These stories have been coming out endlessly and now its daily. Thailand needs major action now. The government needs major planning and investment in what it and its people do with rubbish. Everyone creates waste but no one knows where it goes. All that stuff from Bangkok disappears somewhere but we rarely hear about where. It's the same across the country in all the towns and cities. Where is it all going? A lot seems to make it into the sea still. A lot is dumped in areas because the government doesn't have any program to deal with it. I see that up in Esarn at my wife's home. There is no real leadership in waste management.

The nets are obviously coming from fishing boats and it's not only Thailand, All the countries fisherman need to get it together and stop discarding old nets and to use more marine friendly type of nets (not much chance of it happening unfortunately), especially Myanmar, Bangladesh and India, also unfortunately during the monsoon season lots of nets are lost and enter the Andaman current.

What you see in Phuket is a tiny fraction of whats floating around offshore between us and India ect.

6 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Dumping trash is not unique to Thailand. Go to anywhere in Europe and you find trash wherever you walk, go hiking. 

I hope you bring your cotton bag when you go shopping? I see mostly farangs still getting their goods packed in plastic carriers.

Archived