Ed VISAs- private Thai language schools ?

Am in Rangsit. Want to learn Thai. Thammasat University has a course, but someone warned the paperwork would e a nightmare versus a private school's course.

Are such Ed VISAs still being granted?

I would attend and make an effort. But would hate to spend the money to get denied later on.

Cheers,

hn

11 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

I had an ED visa a while ago, denied entry. Switched for elite visa instead.

But I guess you had a history of Thai stamps before the ED Visa!

In my language school I still see a lot of students which comes there with an ED Visa (Bangkok). Actually I think more than 90% of the students are on a ED Visa. But of course I don't know how big the changes are that you could be denied. Because there are denials, but my guess would be it also depends on your recent history of Thai in/out's.

It will have to be a school approved by the Ministry of Education. You don't really have a choice but to attend. In many places the schools are now spot checked by Immigration and therefore do proper attendance lists. Obviously there are still places that take risks but the times when schools just "sold" eduction Visas without expecting you in the classroom seem to be gone.

I also believe there is no longer a 1 year visa, at least here in Samui, you are expected to pass a test after 3 months to get the stamp to the next level and then again after 6 month (it might be slightly different timings). Seems most people doing okay getting the visa and manage to stay on it for a year (by attending the classes and passing the tests). However, seen a few people who were denied on a second year.

In summary, if you plan to stay less than one year without travel and will attend 4 lessons per week it should work. If you are on a 1+ year plan I don't think it is feasible.

good luck

28 minutes ago, HampiK said:

But I guess you had a history of Thai stamps before the ED Visa!

In my language school I still see a lot of students which comes there with an ED Visa (Bangkok). Actually I think more than 90% of the students are on a ED Visa. But of course I don't know how big the changes are that you could be denied. Because there are denials, but my guess would be it also depends on your recent history of Thai in/out's.

Before that I had marriage visa, 0 exempt visas and 0 tourist visas.

1 hour ago, onlycw said:

Am in Rangsit. Want to learn Thai. Thammasat University has a course, but someone warned the paperwork would e a nightmare versus a private school's course.

I think you have been given some false info.

If you can meet the universities requirements it may be easier to get the paperwork needed for a non-ed visa and extension of stay. 

You may even be able to get a one year extension since it would be considered a formal school verstes a informal one that only allows 90 day extensions.