Live US Bomb found in Kompong Thom province

geovalin

The Cambodian Mine Action Centre has found a US-made MK-82 bomb yesterday in Kompong Thom province’s Stung Sen City. Heng Ratana, director-general of CMAC, said today that his officials found the bomb buried underground and was successfully neutralised.

He said  that the large bomb was probably  dropped by the US during the Vietnam War and was found along the Stung Sen River after  floodwaters caused the riverbank to collapse and unearth  the bomb. “[We] found an aerial bomb MK-82 after the flood waters receded,” Mr Ratana said. “We are grateful to the  local authorities and people for sharing collective efforts and support to CMAC operations.”

CMAC-1.jpg Cambodian Mine Action Centre removed a US-made MK-82 aircraft bomb in Kompong Thom province. CMAC

According to a recent CMAC report, there were 62 landmines or unexploded ordnance (UXO) casualties between January and June this year, up from 31 casualties reported in the same period last year. It also noted that about 45,500 unexploded ordnance and landmines were unearthed from nearly 90 square kilometres and destroyed last year. Cambodia is aiming to be mine-free by 2025.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50634549/live-us-bomb-found-in-kompong-thom-province/

CMAC is an organisation of highly trained professionals that was set up, and trained by, the United Nations (UNTAC) in 1992 to deal with UXO so that Khmer refugees could return in safety to their homes after the atrocities and reign of the Khmer Rouge had ceased. I personally admire their courage and expertise. 

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

CMAC is an organisation of highly trained professionals that was set up, and trained by, the United Nations (UNTAC) in 1992 to deal with UXO so that Khmer refugees could return in safety to their homes after the atrocities and reign of the Khmer Rouge had ceased. I personally admire their courage and expertise. 

Ditto and if the technician is Cambodian he would meet my definition of a true patriot kudos brave man

Archived