Fatal minivan crash: crackdown and investigation ordered, emergency number issued

webfact

8 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

You can't tell that the brakes are failing unless you get under the van and get the wheel off.

oh really?

Why do the westerners use a test bench for brakes? Just drive the car above the bench and brake ...the system will measure it and tell if the brakes are functioning well or not.

They could start with some simple things like speed limiters and speed alarms like they have in the Middle East to tell passengers when the speed limit is broken, linked to GPS. Impose heavy fine if disabled. 

Link all the drivers with a Grab type app so they can be rated, their hours of driving can be controlled, and if suspended they are easily detected.

I know I’m dreaming too many fat cats in charge  of the van companies. Witness the maximum age reversal.

11 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

The driver survived to confirm this? It was not related to the number of hours the driver had to work to make a living?

You seem to be very quick to jump to the driver's side.

Maybe he only worked a "normal" shift, but decided to stay up late the night before work watching netflix, chatting with numerous people, updating his FB profile/photos, shopping online, etc. 

Or maybe he was too busy on his phone while driving at the time if the acvident. I've experienced it  a few times here and have, on more than one occassion, let the driver know that it's not acceptable. 

I am constantly gobsmacked to see a screen (tablet size) next to the driver in the cockpit of a particular bus company which I use quite often to travel between BKK and Korat. Generally speaking, the drivers here don't have a bloody clue!

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And? Then what? We all know the answer. Nothing. nothing at all.

Assuming those phones are even manned AND the staff could be bothered to put down whatever game they're playing to actually take the call. 

12 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

You can't tell that the brakes are failing unless you get under the van and get the wheel off.  Don't blame this on the public.   It is you the one in charge.  Vans should be check prior to each trip to include brakes, lights, turn signals, and tires.  Also a 6 month compete inspection by an outside company not involved with the van company.  Any graft should be treated in case of death as a life sentence to the inspector.  Corruption should be met with death to the driver, the owner of the company, the Transportation Minister and the PM

If you're under the van your not going to be able to get the wheel off ????

Driving between Khon Kaen and Udon yesterday I noticed a sign in the median that was posted in English and Thai that micro sleeps can kill or words similar. Never seen a sign like that before in Thailand oh well just another one that will be ignored.

It did make me think I should let the missus drive on second thoughts that could have proved more dangerous.

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

oh really?

Why do the westerners use a test bench for brakes? Just drive the car above the bench and brake ...the system will measure it and tell if the brakes are functioning well or not.

That will tell you if the brakes work but unless you pull the wheels and visually inspect the rotors calipers and pads you can't tell how worn the brakes really are

17 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

You can't tell that the brakes are failing unless you get under the van and get the wheel off.  Don't blame this on the public.   It is you the one in charge.  Vans should be check prior to each trip to include brakes, lights, turn signals, and tires.  Also a 6 month compete inspection by an outside company not involved with the van company.  Any graft should be treated in case of death as a life sentence to the inspector.  Corruption should be met with death to the driver, the owner of the company, the Transportation Minister and the PM

When falling asleep because the baby kept you up is acceptable, or I didn’t see it, or it was raining or dark, what will really be done.  Enforcement and inspections-forget it-background checks-good luck...

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The new transport minister has called for a crackdown on the vans to make sure they are up to standard.

How does that stop drivers falling asleep and killing their passengers.

The new transport minister is as clueless as the one he replaced !

16 hours ago, Youlike said:

oh really?

They use them in Thailand also it is called a rolling road,or the tech term is a dynamometer, although in the UK for trucks they put a load on the rear using mobile hydraulic press never seen in thailand, which could be used through the back door.they are in all .govt and non govt testing stationsdyno-car.jpg.a3c84031f9ca29d0bc74d02b1c56c141.jpg1188164183_images(10).jpg.5e7730a5dea554ff6209add548b9d5fb.jpg

18 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"They said members of the public could call 1584 if they see sub-standard vans."

If they hire the necessary number of people to answer all the calls reporting sub-standard vans, that should result in a 100% employment rate for Thailand. 

And will they speak english,and will it be like 1155 line busy line busy line busy'...................................................................................................................................

16 hours ago, Youlike said:

oh really?

Now that would be a good idea,every month test the brakes on the many available rolling roads throughout the country.  extend_registration.jpg.5c501bd056cf7036372eb91c69290786.jpg

Archived