Khon Kaen BBQ vendor complains of being cheated of Bt4,000 by farang

webfact

Khon Kaen BBQ vendor complains of being cheated of Bt4,000 by farang

By The Nation

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU3My83ODY5MDIyL3N0dWFydC5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The owner of a barbeque shop in Khon Kaen’s Muang district has posted a photo of a western man whom he accused of defrauding him of Bt4,000 after faking a story of being abandoned by a Thai wife.

Sutheerachart Khaosida, 50, on Friday posted a photo of a man with tattoos on his head, face and hands and flashing his right middle finger.

Sutheerachart said he made the post to warn others so that they would not also fall victim to the man, whom he knew only as “Steward”.

Sutheerachart said the man approached him and his wife at their shop in the middle of July, telling a sad story of being abandoned by his Thai wife after he ran out of money. The western man said he was renting a daily room at an apartment near the BBQ shop.

Sutheerachart said he and his wife felt sorry for the man so they always provided foods as a good host. Then, Steward called him, saying he lost his wallet at the Khon Kaen bus terminal. Sutheerachart said he helped making posts on Facebook to find out whether anyone spotted the wallet.

The man later twice borrowed money from him at Bt2,000 per shot, saying he was waiting for a credit card from a friend.

But Steward later packed his belongings and moved away from the apartment, Sutheerachart said.

Sutheerachart said Steward later sent an email to him, saying he was “stupid”. Steward managed to spell stupid in Thai, Sutheerachart added. The email enraged his wife, so she on Saturday, demanded the money back but Steward instead sent back the photo of the middle finger, Sutheerachart said.

He said had not filed a complaint with police, would like to warn others not to fall for a sad story invented by this man.

After he posted, Sutheerachart said another Khon Kaen vendor spoke up that Steward had borrowed almost Bt10,000 from her before disappearing.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374952

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-19

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid is, as stupid does. What can one say? You make decisions in life, and then you live with the consequences of your decisions. Foreigners are not the only ones who steal money. People of all nations steal money. Honor is not exactly plentiful these days. One has to be aware, judicious, careful about who one chooses to lend money to, and just try to use the brain for more than just eating, elimination and survival. Blaming this guy, and posting this on FB only makes this couple look like the sucker and fool they really are. 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Stupid is, as stupid does. What can one say? You make decisions in life, and then you live with the consequences of your decisions. Foreigners are not the only ones who steal money. People of all nations steal money. Honor is not exactly plentiful these days. One has to be aware, judicious, careful about who one chooses to lend money to, and just try to use the brain for more than just eating, elimination and survival. Blaming this guy, and posting this on FB only makes this couple look like the sucker and fool they really are. 

" sucker and fool they really are.".....or look at it from another way...compassionate 

and kind hearted.

regards Worgeordie

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Maybe this is just an example of a good hearted Thai person trying to help someone out. I don't think its fair or nice to call him stupid. What if one day you require the help of a stranger because you are in dire need? 

4 minutes ago, apalink_thailand said:

Maybe this is just an example of a good hearted Thai person trying to help someone out. I don't think its fair or nice to call him stupid. What if one day you require the help of a stranger because you are in dire need? 

I am not being critical of someone for being charitable. I am only saying one needs to use his judgment. When they lent him the initial 2,000 baht and did not get paid back anything, that was a warning sign right there. If they wanted to consider the money a gift, then good on them. But, to expect to get the money back was foolish. And a bit stupid. I am going to pull a Trump on this one, and double down!

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

" sucker and fool they really are.".....or look at it from another way...compassionate 

and kind hearted.

regards Worgeordie

Nah. Just dumb. To expect to get the money back. Now, if they were really generous and kind hearted, they would have just considered it a gift for someone in need. Not a loan. 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nah. Just dumb. To expect to get the money back. Now, if they were really generous and kind hearted, they would have just considered it a gift for someone in need. Not a loan. 

"To expect to get the money back", If Stewart had  been an honest person ,

they would have expected their loan to be returned,but he was a sleasly

con man,the World needs less of people of his ilk, and more of the honest,

kind people like the BBQ sellers,they did not even report him to the Police . 

God forbid you ever find yourself in a situation and need help from anyone.

regards worgeordie

27 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Just 1 thai person and it makes the news??

I personally know of 3 dudes that have been defrauded by ex thai wives and have lost everything.

Who weeps for them?

Their new girlfriend from soi 6?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not being critical of someone for being charitable. I am only saying one needs to use his judgment. When they lent him the initial 2,000 baht and did not get paid back anything, that was a warning sign right there. If they wanted to consider the money a gift, then good on them. But, to expect to get the money back was foolish. And a bit stupid. I am going to pull a Trump on this one, and double down!

I agree. Although personally, even if I was down on my knees, I would never accept any sort of loan from a Thai. Not even 1 Baht. Food, yes. But money, no. It would come with too many "strings attached" and would cause a loss of face both for me and the giver.

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:
16 minutes ago, Shot said:

Never trust someone with tats on their face.

Or a beard.

Or who wears their cellphone in a holder on their belt. That's what pockets are designed for. If they don't trust pockets, I don't trust them. 

I know this man. From head to toes full with blue Maori tattoos.  Lived in our village some years ago. Left his former girlfriend here with a child and loads of debts.  Told a lot of stories. Came to my house one day and after 10 minutes i knew how 'rich' he was. His father in UK provided him with 100.000 thb a month, but used wrong bankaccounts, so he had a problem. He owned a condo in Pattaya and left his passport there in a safe. He needed money for carrent to go to Pattaya for his passport.  Tried to con me for 20.000thb for the carrent. Steward would give me 25.000 thb in return within 3 days. Out of curiosity i offered him 1.000 thb. The loser accepted the 1.000 thb. That's how hard he needs money. Left for a few weeks. My mother in law talked with the family of his girlfriend and told them he borrowed 1.000 thb from me. They were very surprised, because they thought he was a rich guy from UK. When he heard this, he threatened my mother in law, so i went over for a 'friendly' conversation, but unfortunately his girlfriend told me he was sick and had to stay in his room. Warned him and asked for the 1.000 thb. Than he sends his girlfriend to my home to ask why i made such a problem for only 1.000 thb? Told her i promised my mother in law that 1.000 thb. After a few days he paid me. He conned a guy from UK who lived near our village for 60.000 thb. He is a coward and you can hardly call him a conman for the amounts he steals from people. He is using Thai people, especially Isan woman, telling them stories about is wealth in UK and leaves them in debt after a while. Thinks he looks impressive with all his tattoos but is nothing more than a fat blue troll.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The man later twice borrowed money from him at Bt2,000 per shot, saying he was waiting for a credit card from a friend.

Don't lend money, it's hardly ever returned, BBQ vendor should know that by now.

I'm good for 100bht for someone who seems really desperate, no need to pay it back.

Guessing BBQ vendor will be inundated with requests for loans now.

Archived