Video: Double whammy: Fire at gas station after wrong fuel is used

webfact

Video: Double whammy: Fire at gas station after wrong fuel is used

2pm.jpg

Thai caption: Carelessness was the cause

A customer at a PTT gas station suffered a double whammy after the wrong fuel was put in his vehicle. 

As technicians siphoned off the fuel it caught fire sending people running for cover.

This was caught in a nine second video. 

A poster on "Spotlight Bang Poo" said they had stopped at the PTT station in Song Prapha, Don Mueang for gas. 

They said to put in diesel and reiterated that it must be diesel before going off to the ATM. 

When they came back the attendant said: "You said diesel, right?" 

The customer said "Yes" and the attendant admitted putting in E20 (20% ethanol mix).

The poster said it was lucky they had not yet turned on their engine. 

A sticker on the filler cap said to only use diesel: "Can't they read?" he said. 

A one hour wait ensued then a spark from a 12 volt battery set off a blaze at the pump as the the siphoning process was conducted. 

It was not known how serious the damage was. 

The incident caused much negative comment on social media condemning negligence, reported Daily News. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-19

Happened to me once. Told attendant 1000 baht diesel. He managed to put in 700 baht gasoline before I noticed it.  They pushed my truck to the side and siphoned out to whatever number of litres 700 baht was. They then put in 1000 baht diesel and gave me 300 baht as compensation. I think it ran a little more peppy. 

There is a dedicated evacuation pump system used by breakdown services for this very purpose .. The vehicles filler neck is enclosed by the evac' pump hose before the tank is emptied .. Siphoning fuel from an open filler is dangerous in the extreme as fumes exit the tank and also gather around whatever the fuel is being discharged into .. 

6 hours ago, RBOP said:

Happened to me once. Told attendant 1000 baht diesel. He managed to put in 700 baht gasoline before I noticed it.  They pushed my truck to the side and siphoned out to whatever number of litres 700 baht was. They then put in 1000 baht diesel and gave me 300 baht as compensation. I think it ran a little more peppy. 

They should have emptied the tank. The gasoline will preignite causing engine knock. Very bad for the engine!

Archived