Airport queues: Immigration chief at Bangkok airport, meeting planned for Thursday

webfact

22 hours ago, sotsira said:

Confused!

I keep reading how tourist numbers are down and it's so 

quiet in all the tourist destinations around Thailand.

Now the airport is overrun with long queues due to so many 

arrivals, IO's will need to do overtime and increase their output

by 30%.

So which is it?

Both, I am afraid. Figures down - bureaucracy up. It is absolutely unbelievable with what snail speed queues move. The (mostly illegible) TM6 does not help, nor does the fingerprint screening, the total mess/confusion in visa issuance combined with the challenging language skills resulting in linguistic uphill battles between traveller and immigration staff. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, webfact said:

Sompong ordered all available manpower to man desks and said that overtime was needed to plug up the gaps. 

Overtime won't cure a thing.... just make workers tired and irritable, at some point they will have to go home. Better to plan a real shift pattern for arrivals which matches the inbound flight times when passengers are at the highest numbers!

Remember inbound flights equals out bound flights.. no mention of any issues at check-in times which must take as long as immigration processing times !

As much as I'd love to moan,  I have to be honest. I came in 2 days ago the line was really long,  when I first saw it I already started preparing myself for a long miserable wait.

Surprisingly enough, I was through in less than 15 minutes. The system is improving, as more regular travelers are registered in the system.

It's only the first timers that have to do both hands and a picture, once you're on just the right hand.  That's all they asked me for anyway,  may just be another case of who you end up with on the day.

One thing to note is that women always seem to be more efficient immigration officers, the men always try turning it into a pissing contest...

12 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

I used it on 3rd August, 16 days ago.

you can also use this lane or the VIP if you are disabled and or in a wheelchair,although i have met someone else who had to travel in a wheelchair,via india and he told me the wheelchair lane there was longer than the normal lanes. :cheesy:

Don't forget to make the officers leave their phones in their lockers ... or pockets ... or handbags.

Research has shown that even the twitchiest fingers will relax if the phone is out of sight and inaccessible.

23 hours ago, Maverell said:

Yes there are at Suvarnabhumi. 70 years and up - same desk as arriving Thais use. On the far right side as you look at the desks. This info is correct as of 6 months ago.

Yes, and if one is travelling  with kids (babies and toddlers) the usually kind immigration assistants usually send families over there. Far right lanes at both Immigration areas

On 8/19/2019 at 10:29 AM, andre47 said:

There are priority lanes processing people aged?

I never saw them. How old you have to be to use them and are they also for farang?

Yes, anyone over 70 can use these lanes...although I hesitate to tell you as the "push in" pigs will have another place to gather!

Just follow the money.
1. Airlines pay a fee per passenger. Fewer IO's means greater profit.
2. IO's may resist airport postings - better pickings (bribes/overcharging/agent's kickbacks/etc.) when working at the office - and it just gets better and better: fines for late TM30....

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I think the laughter is based on the fact that the only knowledge 90% of posters have is based on the reports they see here.  For those of us who actually travel internationally the reality is very different as you have stated. I can only recall one time in five years of regular travel that I have experienced an extended wait time at Swampy. Many times I'm through before my bag is on the carousel. In my experience leaving the country can take longer than the arrival process but it's no big deal,  I always make sure I have plenty of time to do so, 2-3 hours and wait in the airline lounge and do some work while waiting. 

Absolutely spot on. I dont know how many of my 169 arrivals from the UK have been at Suvarnabhumbi as opposed to Don Muaeng previously but obviously a lot. I like you cant have been lucky every single time

10 hours ago, emptypockets said:

100 ' checking cubicles'?  You have never been to a Thai international airport. 

yeah sorry mate never stand there counting to be honest hence i used percentages but not as an exact science. I will make sure i do a count next time through. LOL

I had the pleasure of wasting my time - first time since 25 years - because as a frequent traveller I also had the benfit to receive a fast track voucher.

Since the ignorant and stupid decision of Thai Immigration this benefit was withdrawin from the Airlines (which btw they are quite happy about that as they save Money).

Next what will happen - as told by the fly on my wall - is that Thai Police is closing all Banks to prevent bank robberies.

Just wonder why there are still private organisations or Airport related Organisation which can arrange fast track passing at a cost??? ( https://www.limousine.in.th/fasttrack.php)

Anybody know if this big gentleman has shares in that company?

On 8/20/2019 at 5:14 AM, emptypockets said:

It is already used for some nationalities with more to be added, allegedly. There is clear signage indicating who can use the electronic gates. 

It is different here as electronic gates are for Thai passport and a few others, like you mention. But I would estimate that the majority of travellers in Thailand still use the old fashion TM6 arrival-departure card . In Singapore, they are gradually cancelling the traditional arrival card and have no  no departure card to staple in the passport like in Thailand. Singapore Immigration started gradually  using an electronic arrival card that the traveller fill on Internet before arriving in Singapore. That is progress and save trees and time.  .

On 8/19/2019 at 8:05 PM, dallen52 said:

As per my post.

If your prints are on the system, one hand of 4 fingers is sufficient now. (Saturday night).

It was smooth as thai silk 

As per my post.

You're a seasoned traveller, I've stood behind someone fresh off the boat who had to have an 'assistant' come round and hold the correct hand on the scanner one after the other. I don't think he was the only one in the queue.

Note that about 50% of Thailand's tourists are return visitors, so half the queue are not on record.

Archived