Airport queues: Immigration chief at Bangkok airport, meeting planned for Thursday

webfact

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you saying the many incidents of 2 to 4 hours wait with photos and videos and kids crying and pissing on the floor and more is all fake news? 

What ?? Dont put words in my mouth ok

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

There is a system, which was implemented in other countries decades ago, but has not yet reached Thailand. 

It is called pre-screening. 

In every airport, yet maybe not in Thailand, the immigration gets the passenger lists of all the inbound flights, as soon as they depart from their origin. 

An automatic screening is done and the persons of interest, if any, immediately show up. 

If a flight has such a person of interest onboard, a few immigration officers wait for her at the plane's gate upon arrival. 

This has actually happened in a couple of flights I was in, upon landing in Paris CDG. 

All the other passengers are deemed to be of no special interest and can therefore breeze through immigration without the need of checking every page of their passport.

More than 30 seconds for a passenger and lines start to form... exactly the same as with traffic lights... and Thais are also champions at creating very long lines at every intersection... 

Immigration at Bangkok airport has to delt with 21st century passenger traffic while using 19th century procedures... but of course Thailand not same, so it is certainly not going to copy what is done in the modern world... 

Thailand is a very labour intensive place minimum 2 person every task, if your system was introduced just think how many Thais would lose their jobs, it won’t happen because of that.

9 minutes ago, Rampant20 said:

Yes agreed the baggage system needs an overhaul too.

What's wrong with baggage system?

My priority bags comes as priority in Bkk while back in Europe it comes last. My in comparison small arrival airport in Europe takes min. 20 mins. for bags to start, Bkk is fast.

6 hours ago, Maverell said:

Yes there are at Suvarnabhumi. 70 years and up - same desk as arriving Thais use. On the far right side as you look at the desks. This info is correct as of 6 months ago.

Misleading. It is actually between the two arrival halls. It's for business/first class and handicapped and oldies over 70. They check your boarding pass (passport for oldies) as you enter the line.

6 hours ago, sotsira said:

Confused!

I keep reading how tourist numbers are down and it's so 

quiet in all the tourist destinations around Thailand.

Now the airport is overrun with long queues due to so many 

arrivals, IO's will need to do overtime and increase their output

by 30%.

So which is it?

Long queues are not a sign of large tourist numbers - they are a sign of slow service.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

Why the Thai system needs to fingerprint all 10 digits is beyond me. Malaysia & Singapore seem happy enough with a pair of index fingers, that requires a single scan. Thailand needs 3 scans; 4 fingers right, 4 fingers left, and thumbs together. Trying to explain that in broken English to people who probably only speak broken English is just asking for trouble.

Have you ever tried to buy a sandwich in a branch of Subway?? I gave up on it and won't go there anymore in Thailand.

3 hours ago, sensei said:

Please tell these officers to learn how to smile too. They greet passengers tired from travelling like they are on the way to the jail. a little kindness goes a long way

They don't have any understanding of the many hours that arrivals have been travelling, and are only interested in themselves. In China they have buttons to push at the immigration desk to rate the service, five I think. In Thailand they'd only need one ????  so they don't bother.

Somehow they seem to think that giving Chinese and Indian a 1 year Visa is a solution.

Solution -  1. manage the current situation instead of creating more issues that Thailand will not be able to handle down the road.

2. for residents - like any other countries have the biometrics done at the time of application, auto-enrol the residents into e-gate (this will help shorten the Q)

3. instead of 4 fingers requirement just the index and thumb (like all other airports)

4. Is there a need for tourist to do the biometrics?

5. Finally, go visit immigrations of other countries such as Singapore, UAE (Dubai only the Emirates arrival as Dubai's arrival for other airlines is equally bad), Australia etc.

Also the whole security at Swampy is a complete laugh.

There are no heavy armed security troops to be seen...i see them on every decent airport on the world these days except in Thailand.

Last time i flew from Swampy i even found a full bottle of water in my handluggage which i had forgotten to use. It had passed all the scanners untill in the plane.

4 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Again with using this word.  It has a negative connotation.  Why do you use it?  

What is negative with this word? If you feel like this you should never come to Thailand because mostly every Thai is using it.

7 hours ago, sotsira said:

Confused!

by 30%.

So which is it?

Landed BKK at 7 am Friday. Passport control hall full of people so was wondering the same. Once got a bit closer understood why: staff present only at about 30% available counters. Invest for fingerprint readers and all that but not hire staff. Amazing Thailand. 

Would have been fired on the spot in case would have had to explain comparable customer service management situation to my boss... Before finishing my explanation actually. Pathetic. 

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"Chief, if Farang stand in line for 24 hours do they need to do TM30 form?"

"Yes"

3pm.jpg.f9ebcc350057a4d1dd801c79d9a8eeee.jpg

5B3D7B1C-4F5F-43F2-8215-B9E002FF99BA.jpeg

So Jack Bauer, you’ve got 24 hours to get this TM30 nonsense sorted.

Oh, by the way, NCC1701A, “a popular member”, has said that when dealing with Immigration you need to put your Calvin Kleins on, and not just your underwear, just like when you’re going to ask your bank manager for a loan. Apparently, when you turn up at Immigration in your CKs, “.. the men will adore you, and all the women will want to be you.”

Err ... that doesn’t sound right; maybe he said it the other way around. Anyway, you’ll find out when you get there! There’s no time to waste. Get your a** in gear and get it sorted. Pronto!

7 hours ago, sotsira said:

Confused!

by 30%.

So which is it?

Fingerprints for everyone 

Takes time

Held up in the priority lane by people who couldn't do something as simple as placing their ha ds on the scanner lol

7 hours ago, andre47 said:

There are priority lanes processing people aged?

I never saw them. How old you have to be to use them and are they also for farang?

Not for aged like 50 or so. It is for those who can't do for themselves and need assistance or for handicapped.. pregnant... And small children. 

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

Why the Thai system needs to fingerprint all 10 digits is beyond me. Malaysia & Singapore seem happy enough with a pair of index fingers, that requires a single scan. Thailand needs 3 scans; 4 fingers right, 4 fingers left, and thumbs together. Trying to explain that in broken English to people who probably only speak broken English is just asking for trouble.

They should be shown just one finger!

7 hours ago, Maverell said:

Yes there are at Suvarnabhumi. 70 years and up - same desk as arriving Thais use. On the far right side as you look at the desks. This info is correct as of 6 months ago.

The priority lane has been in use since day 1 at Suvarnabhumi. It's used by monks, diplomats, flight crews, handicapped people,pregnant woman,real old people and common people,incl.farangs. I always got a pass when flying with Qatar Airways and checking in online. I went through the passport check in less than 5 min every time. You can actually put the priority lane pass in your pocket and use it next time,instead of giving it to the imm.officer. They NEVER EVER look at it. I even used mine flying with other airlines. Still have one pass.

9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The priority lane has been in use since day 1 at Suvarnabhumi. It's used by monks, diplomats, flight crews, handicapped people,pregnant woman,real old people and common people,incl.farangs. I always got a pass when flying with Qatar Airways and checking in online. I went through the passport check in less than 5 min every time. You can actually put the priority lane pass in your pocket and use it next time,instead of giving it to the imm.officer. They NEVER EVER look at it. I even used mine flying with other airlines. Still have one pass.

They NEVER ever look at it?? Perhaps not the Immigration Officer, but I have often seen pretty strict control on the entrance to the premium lane and seen people being denied entrance. Recently, a friend of mine tried to get in with a pass he still had from an earlier flight in businessclass on a different airline - they wanted to see his boarding card for the flight he arrived with (in economy) and he was not admitted.

5 minutes ago, damascase said:

See my post#62 for correct information.

I have used the priority lane for years, I am not very old or crippled or anything. Maybe I was just lucky,but I used to fly with Qatar airways year after year,and I always got a priority lane pass when checking in online,and I never gave them away. I kept them and used them when I flew with other airlines. Going through immigration was so easy.

Just now, Max69xl said:

I have used the priority lane for years, I am not very old or crippled or anything. Maybe I was just lucky,but I used to fly with Qatar airways year after year,and I always got a priority lane pass when checking in online,and I never gave them away. I kept them and used them when I flew with other airlines. Going through immigration was so easy.

Nowadays there the entry to the premium lane is more strictly controlled. 

2 minutes ago, damascase said:

They NEVER ever look at it?? Perhaps not the Immigration Officer, but I have often seen pretty strict control on the entrance to the premium lane and seen people being denied entrance. Recently, a friend of mine tried to get in with a pass he still had from an earlier flight in businessclass on a different airline - they wanted to see his boarding card for the flight he arrived with (in economy) and he was not admitted.

I repeat,they never ever looked at mine. The priority lane has nothing to do with what class you're flying. I used to fly economy with Qatar,because it's good. It wasn't long ago since I used my pass from Qatar when I flew Thai air. They never even filled in their passes. So maybe your friend was unlucky,but for me it worked year after year. 

8 hours ago, Maverell said:

Also, according to the sign, usable by pregnant males!

9 hours ago, Stocky said:

Lucky tourist numbers are down, otherwise the queues would be longer!

I think the issue is with the extra time taken to process fingerprints.

As per my post.

If your prints are on the system, one hand of 4 fingers is sufficient now. (Saturday night).

It was smooth as thai silk 

Archived