Chess players in Chiang Mai?

lookpapa

Promoting Chess in Chiangmai!

If you are a serious chess player, a casual player, or don’t know how to play, Cube 7 on Sunday nights is the place to be!

We have an active messenger chat group with a good mix of skill levels as members.

In the group we arrange a weekly meet normally starting at around 5-6pm on Sundays at cube 7.

If it sounds like your cup of tea, we'd love to welcome you to the group, just post or PM to get involved!

That is from a facebook advert I take it CUBE 7 is a club 

I ran into a bunch of people having a tournament at Pantip plaza back in March ?!! It was during the smoke season and I was only there to pay sinet internet tab ... 

Might look into them I like chess but uh, mental deterioration, premature senility are likely already here no matter what I want to believe, sad story.

Phone pics on my moto WooHoo! that looks like an expatriated farang there.

IMG_20190328_122644765r.jpg

IMG_20190328_122715228r.jpg

IMG_20190328_122802019_HDRc.jpg

CUBE NO. 7 is a restaurant on Siri Mangkalajarn SOI 7 halfway between maya Mall and Kad Suan Kaew Mall in Chiang Mai.

2 years ago we used to have a chess club Meetup that met there.

There were three of us.

Chess is not illegal.

They sell these sets at the book stores. We bought a set for Cube No. 7, but I don't know if it's still there... that was two years ago.

Yes, there is a small group that meets every Wednesday night at The Pub across the street from MAYA. 

I used to play there but have moved to a small town away from Chiang Mai.

You might also find a game at Broncos or Pantip because many kids are getting coached to play at those places.

Tip:  For anyone in Chiang Mai looking to buy a chess set (the board and the 32 pieces), I bought my set at the Toys"R"Us store in the Promenada Mall a few months ago.  They had a few sets to choose from at reasonable prices.  The quality of my board is very good, a wooden folding board that holds the wooden pieces when transporting your set somewhere to play.  I am told there is another Toys"R"Us store at the Maya Mall --- they may well have chess sets also.  I have also seen some very expensive chess sets in a few other gift stores in Chiang Mai.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 7:33 AM, FolkGuitar said:

I see a group of older men playing Chess every day at noon in a small restaurant down the soi from Mungkala Chinese Clinic.  Looks to be 4-5 fellows involved. Restaurant is on the west side of the street, about 100m from Ratchamanka Rd.

Hi Folk guitar, can you give me more exact location, like the name of restaurant, please, I'm there now. 

4 hours ago, lookpapa said:

Hi Folk guitar, can you give me more exact location, like the name of restaurant, please, I'm there now. 

R&N House,  Ratchamanka Soi 3.   Restaurant is on the west side of the street, about 100m from Ratchamanka Rd.

You can see the men playing in the photo.

Capture.jpg

Capture2.JPG

Archived