Compensation for each of the 11 Lao migrants killed in van crash to be paid

webfact

Compensation for each of the 11 Lao migrants killed in van crash to be paid

By The Nation

800_567b8d3aca29222.jpg?v=1566189968

Sutthipol Thaweechaikarn

The families of each of 11 Lao migrants killed in a chartered van crash in Sa Kaew early Sunday morning will receive at least Bt700,000 compensation from insurance companies, a senior official said Monday.

Sutthipol Thaweechaikarn, secretary general of the Office of the Insurance Commission, said his office would instruct the firms that insured the two vehicles to speed up the paying of the compensation. 

Ten Lao migrants died along with the Thai van driver when the van collided with an 18-wheel truck in Sa Kaew early on Sunday. One more Laotian died in hospital. The van was chartered to take 14 Lao workers for visa renewal to the Chanthaburi immigration checkpoint. Three other Lao migrants were severely injured.

Sutthipol said he has checked the insurance bought by the two vehicles and found that each of the 11 who died would be entitled to a pay out of at least Bt700,000.

This was made up of Bt300,000 from compulsory third-party insurance, Bt100,000 from an additional accident insurance and Bt300,000 more from voluntary third-party insurance.

Sutthipol said the Thai van driver’s family would receive at least Bt135,000 – Bt35,000 from compulsory third-party insurance and Bt100,000 from additional accident insurance.

Sutthipol added that each of the injured Lao migrants would see their medical bills paid by insurance firms to a value not exceeding Bt430,000 – Bt80,00 from compulsory third-party insurance, Bt50,000 additional accident insurance and Bt300,000 voluntary third-party insurance.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374959

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-19

4 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

How sad their lives are only worth 700,000 roughly 22,600 $

culpable manslaughter allowed to continue

by the too hard basket to change the  laws of responsibility onus on commercial drivers.

Seems fair enough to me. Knowing how much these migrants get paid, that equates to my family getting 20 million baht.

8 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

How sad their lives are only worth 700,000 roughly 22,600 $

culpable manslaughter allowed to continue

by the too hard basket to change the  laws of responsibility onus on commercial drivers.

That's a lot and probably what the worker's would send to their family over a lifetime on 300 Baht a day

20 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Very inappropriate comment.

Very appropriate.   Most vans have such garlands, and a dashboard full of Buddha images for luck.   If the kamakazi drivers took some personal responsibility for the innocent passengers under their care, then there would be little need for divine intervention to get them from point A to B.

36 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Hard to tell from the photo above if the van had one of those 'good luck' garlands dangling from the rear view mirror.

I'll bet it had more than one. Monks should step forward and explain to the citizens that they, the 'garlands', doesn't work.

3 hours ago, madmen said:

That's a lot and probably what the worker's would send to their family over a lifetime on 300 Baht a day

Short change if 300 bt per day they work say 300 days per year, and take it at 20 years has to be over 1.6 million there  abouts

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Hopefully it'll make them think about it, and why it happened.

This will never change... the amount of mini vans on the roads any given time is staggering..Thailand depends on them many remote villages are accessed only by mini van( my wifes is one)...when my wife travels home I tell her .Remember one thing ...the driver of that mini van has your life in his hands.....before you get in that van....get in his face and smell his breath,talk to him ,ask him how long he has been awake..sit close to him and NEVER EVER fall asleep in that van.. and do not be afraid to speak up and tell him to stop and take a break...I guarantee you all of those 11 in that van were sleeping when It crashed into that truck....

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Your life for example, would it be worth the same amount ,or more ????

58 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

Except that these workers were probably getting paid well below the 300 Baht mark.

These workers were on a visa run, so I would guess that they were working without a visa and therefore off the cards.

They would probably be doing very long shifts and paid the lowest that their employer could get away with.

Not all as you suggest get ripped off many do,  but I also know of workers who get paid well, get paid for their effort and also know of the visa and insurance being paid by the employer, 

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

..when my wife travels home I tell her .Remember one thing ...the driver of that mini van has your life in his hands.....before you get in that van....get in his face and smell his breath,talk to him ,ask him how long he has been awake..sit close to him and NEVER EVER fall asleep in that van

I wonder what your wife is thinking when you tell her what to do in her country.

'The families of each of 11 Lao migrants killed in a chartered van crash in Sa Kaew early Sunday morning will receive at least Bt700,000 compensation from insurance companies, a senior official said Monday.'

All that's left to be determined now, is....In which lifetime.

21 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Better than nothing, but no way enough. Maybe some of the Lao migrants were bread winners, and perhaps children has lost a parent etc. Just horrible.

700,000 baht is a lot more than they would have earned here in Thailand on 250 baht per day.

Not saying the loss of life is exceptable but this will help the families left behind.

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, Neeranam said:

Seems fair enough to me. Knowing how much these migrants get paid, that equates to my family getting 20 million baht.

And if you were one of the unfortunates killed in the van do you think your family would have been given 20 mil or 700k ?

Archived