BANGKOK
tomster

Advice on car purchase

Posted (edited)

Hi,

OK, so got a bit of a non-standard question here.

At my wifes house sits a Opel Corsa with 184k Kilometres on the clock, that at some point in the in last couple of years has had a engine change.

The car needs a new exhaust and a bit of TLC on the bodywork but drives fine and the interior is in good shape.

Sister in law (Thai) is the registered owner, but lives outside Thailand. She will take 30k for it, which under normal circumstances would be steal.

However, the car is kept offroad and has been registered as such as far as I can make out. It's registered in Bangkok, we are in Korat.

My understanding is that I need to change the engine number in the blue book somehow, then register the car as being back on the raod and get tax and goverment insurance (at a minimum).

Is all this doable for less than 20k? My thoughts are that if the car was up together and had all the right docs, it would probably be worth about 50k, so I at least I wouldn't lose money.

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

Edited by tomster

When I changed ownership on my car they never looked at the engine numbers. I am not even sure that all engines have numbers to even look at. I would not stress about this. I would be far more stressed about how you would find parts for this car and what their cost would be. You are reaching an engine age that starts to require major parts very soon no matter how well engineered or maintained.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matthew777 said:

When I changed ownership on my car they never looked at the engine numbers. I am not even sure that all engines have numbers to even look at. I would not stress about this. I would be far more stressed about how you would find parts for this car and what their cost would be. You are reaching an engine age that starts to require major parts very soon no matter how well engineered or maintained.

It has a new-ish engine...

• Like 1

1. If it had an engine change, the Land Transport Office (LTO) will want to see a receipt for the engine. (If you have not got one it does not take much smarts to fake one).

2. If registration has not been paid for years you will have to pay back tax plus a small fine.

3. You must have the blue book and her signature on a change of ownership form plus a signed copy of her ID.

4. Check there is no finance company or bank stamp in the blue book and that the registered owner matches her ID.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If it were me I would just tax (you might have to pay back tax) it at the local office offer her 25th, fix exhaust, have a quick service on it. And then drive it into the ground. She won't want it back. But you will need the book. Saves having to go to BKK to sort out change of address. You will end up with a cheap lump without any aggro.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

@fredob43

We have the blue book, and the ID card of the owner etc. So with this it's possible to tax it (pay back tax, fine etc) in Korat even though it's registered in BKK?

Then just get government insurance and it's good to go? It will need new license plates, there are currently none on the car.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tomster said:

@fredob43

We have the blue book, and the ID card of the owner etc. So with this it's possible to tax it (pay back tax, fine etc) in Korat even though it's registered in BKK?

Then just get government insurance and it's good to go? It will need new license plates, there are currently none on the car.

You can get the insurance when/where you tax it. What your going to do about no licence plates ??? suggest you go to the local place that dishes them out and see what they say. As I think you will need plates before you can tax it.

When I sold a lump several years ago the peeps that brought it had to do the first part (change name) at My local office and then re-plate it at their local pace as they were out of district. So might mean a trip to BKK to get old copy plates.

Hopefully someone else might have some up to date knowledge.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

Very odd, no licence plates....why? I would take the blue book to the LTO first and get to the bottom of this before parting with any cash.

• Like 1

Older vehicles are subject to inspection and you've already stated the engine number don't match the Tabien. You would need to ensure that the registration information reflects the build of the vehicle first.

After that you would need to bay any back tax and [government] insurance before you're allowed to purchase a new tax certificate.

Pretty straight forward, but time consuming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Older vehicles are subject to inspection and you've already stated the engine number don't match the Tabien. You would need to ensure that the registration information reflects the build of the vehicle first.

After that you would need to bay any back tax and [government] insurance before you're allowed to purchase a new tax certificate.

Pretty straight forward, but time consuming.

So first things first I would need to get the engine number changed over, by the sounds of things.

The book for the car is registered in Bangkok.

If I can do the engine number changeover in Korat I will go ahead and get on with it, if any part of this involves me driving the car to Bangkok before it is fully legal then it's more trouble then it's worth.

Does anybody know if the Korat LTO will make the update if we drive the car in there with the right documents, or will they say we have to go to BKK?

Do you want a reliable car, or just something that is allowed to brake down? I expect there no maintenance has ever been done and they just fix things when  the car stops running. (So they never maintain the brakes 🙂 )

What is the age of the car?

How long ago was the engine swap and how old was the 'new' engine?

around 180,000 km brakes tends to need replacement (discs and pads). Depending of the driving style of the owner.

oil, spark plugs, filter changes?

This all affects the value. But for 30k you can't expect much.

If you want to buy it, just go with all the paperwork and a translator (your wife) to the office and try to get it registered properly and get local license plates.  If you need a make a trip to Bangkok they will tell you. 

Also find a reliable mechanic for a service with new oil, spark plugs, air filter and a new exhaust. Check the brake pads and discs and get them cleaned. If the cars was stored for more as 5 years then also get the timing belt and other belts changed. Maybe also the battery needs replacement. Probably the airco has to be serviced as well. I expect a garage bill around 25,000k to get it serviced properly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tomster said:

So first things first I would need to get the engine number changed over, by the sounds of things.

The book for the car is registered in Bangkok.

If I can do the engine number changeover in Korat I will go ahead and get on with it, if any part of this involves me driving the car to Bangkok before it is fully legal then it's more trouble then it's worth.

Does anybody know if the Korat LTO will make the update if we drive the car in there with the right documents, or will they say we have to go to BKK?

The database is centrally linked nowadays so you can register anywhere.

Take the car along with whatever supporting documents you have. It isn't just a matter of queuing at the DLT counter (although they will point you in the right direction and advise what's needed).

When I've changed motors they wanted details of where the motor came from and I was asked to show the original motor more than once. One time the plates weren't available and I had to re-register the car for new plates and Tabien.

Find out what it takes to get the car registration updated before you spend on maintenance/repairs. It may not prove to be the bargain you suppose.

• Like 1

The car was sold to somebody else today - thank you to everybody that took the time to reply.

🙂