Transferwise options

Hi--just wanted to see if anyone could advise--i know that now TW allows when making a transfer to here in Thailand, the new drop down menu selection that reads something about making an international transfer in order to satisfy immigration.  so that is a nice addition--does anyone know if that resolves the issue of having the transfer, once it has arrived, show as an "international transfer"?

Second, i also read that one can contact TW by email (is this via their regular contact email or...?) and request that all your future transfers be tagged as international?

Third, thought I remembered, but may be incorrect, that there was an additional step, once logged into one's TW account that one could note something else in another menu somewhere within the account interface---is this correct, and if so, where and what to note?

Thanks for any information!

Earlier this month I went to my TW account and designated my Bangkok Bank account as my primary account for receiving THB. Then I did a test transfer where I was asked to designate a reason for the transfer. I chose "Funds for long-term stay in Thailand".  I called no one and I emailed no one. A few days later the test $200 transfer showed up tagged as an international transfer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Issanman said:

Earlier this month I went to my TW account and designated my Bangkok Bank account as my primary account for receiving THB. Then I did a test transfer where I was asked to designate a reason for the transfer. I chose "Funds for long-term stay in Thailand".  I called no one and I emailed no one. A few days later the test $200 transfer showed up tagged as an international transfer.

Same for me on two transfers this month.  

Has anybody done this and received a transfer not tagged as International transfer?

Edited by Dante99

I'm at a loss though why previously anyone would be concerned about TW not showing as International.....far from me to state the obvious but you'd only need to pin the outbound transfer from your home account to any retirement visa application etc for previous 12 months to show alongside your Thai account details

52 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

Hi--just wanted to see if anyone could advise--i know that now TW allows when making a transfer to here in Thailand, the new drop down menu selection that reads something about making an international transfer in order to satisfy immigration.  so that is a nice addition--does anyone know if that resolves the issue of having the transfer, once it has arrived, show as an "international transfer"?

Second, i also read that one can contact TW by email (is this via their regular contact email or...?) and request that all your future transfers be tagged as international?

Third, thought I remembered, but may be incorrect, that there was an additional step, once logged into one's TW account that one could note something else in another menu somewhere within the account interface---is this correct, and if so, where and what to note?

As I understand it, the process is:

In your TW account, designate the Thai bank you want your money transferred to (either Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank are your only options) as your primary account.

Then contact TW, either by phone or by email to request/confirm you want your transfer routed directly to your primary Thai account. (A single call is sufficient)

When actually completing the transfer request form ensure you have again highlighted both your primary bank account in that request and you have selected the 'transfer to Thailand' in the drop down box.

TW have confirmed they WILL route all transfers directly to your designated Thai account unless on the very rare occasion there is a technical issues that would prevent this. They (and the Bangkok Bank call centre international section) told me they have had discussions with those two Thai banks and, If this does happen, you can obtain a 'Credit Advice Receipt' to prove it was a foreign transfer. 

I bank with BKKB and, in the past two years, I've only had two transfers go via the 'wrong bank'. The first was in November last year (before it became an issue anyway) and the second was in July when TW were updating their software. All other transfers have been designated FTT in my bankbook. I've averaged two transfers per month in that time.

20 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I'm at a loss though why previously anyone would be concerned about TW not showing as International.....far from me to state the obvious but you'd only need to pin the outbound transfer from your home account to any retirement visa application etc for previous 12 months to show alongside your Thai account details

As far as I'm aware, it hasn't happened yet, but the pessimists that frequent this forum have suggested that some IO's wouldn't accept your documents of foreign bank accounts as confirmation because they wouldn't understand them. I must say, those regular pessimists have been very quiet of late though.

• Like 1