Bad Guys Out! Immigration chief outlines latest busts of foreigners

webfact

Bad Guys Out! Immigration chief outlines latest busts of foreigners

S__4677665(1).jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported on the latest arrests of foreigners acting illegally in Thailand. This is under the command of immigration chief Pol Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang. 

There were four separate cases as well as a round up of action taken against Romance Scammers in the last couple of years. 

Case 1: In July police in the far south of Thailand caught seven Myanmar nationals with fake passports on their way to work in Malaysia. They were aided and abetted by a Thai agent in Samut Songkram who was also arrested as the inquiry widened. 

Case 2: A Nigerian national was arrested at a resort in Krabi and found to have been staying in the country illegally for two years. It was discovered that he had entered the kingdom through a natural border area with Laos.

Analysis of his computer, phone and a flash drive showed that he was part of a Romance Scam gang working with Thai people to defraud Thai women. He had a fake profile online and the scam involved the now familiar practice of people posing as customs agents to extract money from victims. 

Case 3: A 50 year old Myanmar woman was using a curry and rice stall in Patong, Phuket as a front to sell Krathom leaf and Krathom tea, a restricted Class 5 drug. She was also found in possession of cough syrup (that is mixed with Krathom tea to heighten its effect).

Seven other Myanmar nationals were arrested in connection with this inquiry. All those arrested were found to be illegal immigrants. 

S__7610389.jpg

Case 4: A 33 year old man from the Ivory Coast was arrested for supplying patrons at the bars in Patong, Phuket with cocaine. He was arrested in a sting operation in Soi Anamai, Patong with a one gram packet of cocaine. 

A table in the Naew Na round-up showed the arrests, victims and losses connected to Romance Scams over the past two years. 

S__7610391.jpg

The first row is arrests (on warrants) indicating that 162 people were arrested in 2019 and 165 this year for a 327 total. 

The second row is victims showing 245 in 2018, 64 this year and 309 in total. 

The last row is losses showing 125 million baht last year and 37 million in 2019 for a 162 million baht total. 

Thaivisa notes that many of these arrests were on the watch of former immigration chief and tourism police deputy Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn who has now been transferred to the PM's office. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-19

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my reading, I didn't see one farang mentioned here, yeh this 40 year old TM 30 thing is great, as I went to Chiang Mai for the weekend, an 11 hour drive each way, and for the pleasure, I then had to go off to our immigration office today for the wife to provide them with the TM 30 form saying my husband who has been living here for 4 years is back, that was a two and a half hour return trip, talk about being knackered ????

Hopefully the password arrives soon for this TM 30 app because having to do the drive each time I leave the province will do my head in !!!

Well as they are xenophobic I can be that myself as well. Those are just 4 cases, but I guess in general >90% don`t involve western farangs. By the way...guess i`m not the only one who wants to ***** in Big Ouds grumpy face. He is the stereotype of a thai official who gets me goosebumps.

17 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Next raid will be at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand.

The Pattaya Bridge Club must be long overdue for a raid, complete with flack jackets and automatic weapons.

I can understand the need for Thailand to keep track of immigrants in Thailand. But as the above mentioned cases shows the TM 30 doesn’t really help catch illegals,as they don’t report.

But maybe they should introduce say let’s call it a probationary period that we the honest retirees need to follow.For the first 5 yrs of living here we need to report our location as required. Then after that if we have not caused any trouble,or proven to be honest people abiding the laws we get a break. 

Maybe a change to our visa that allows us to travel freely. Permanent address need only be supplied,break any laws relating to the visa would result in losing those privileges.

I see a lot of complaining but not to many solutions,maybe it’s a step in the right direction.

17 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

But maybe they should introduce say let’s call it a probationary period that we the honest retirees need to follow.For the first 5 yrs of living here we need to report our location as required.

Sort of like being on parole, you mean?

28 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

I can understand the need for Thailand to keep track of immigrants in Thailand. But as the above mentioned cases shows the TM 30 doesn’t really help catch illegals,as they don’t report.

But maybe they should introduce say let’s call it a probationary period that we the honest retirees need to follow.For the first 5 yrs of living here we need to report our location as required. Then after that if we have not caused any trouble,or proven to be honest people abiding the laws we get a break. 

Maybe a change to our visa that allows us to travel freely. Permanent address need only be supplied,break any laws relating to the visa would result in losing those privileges.

I see a lot of complaining but not to many solutions,maybe it’s a step in the right direction.

What they should do is scrap the TM30 for daft stuff, for instance, a bloke like me that has a yellow book for a house I have lived in for 12 years.

The 90 day report is another daft stuff, just tell the farang you must tell us if you change permanent address, if you don't a fine..

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

So..they finally caught the nefarious 50 year old Burmese woman running the curry and rice stall?

Interpol will be pleased.

It was tough, she was unfortunate to get a puncture in her cart, went to B-quik to find immigration there getting their tyres pumped up for free....

From this report, they are crowing about grabbing a couple of Africans and some Burmese ... not the expat western type grumbling but still doing TM30s. If you could come up with dozens of Europeans, Americans, Ozzies or Russians then OK. But a pretty lame and lamentable catch there ... would have probably been better to keep quiet about this sweep.

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

Next raid will be at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand.

Followed by more random home visits.  making sure wifey lives, at your stated address.

Immi as per regs, need to be informed when you visit her family home in the village ,  for a sleep/leg over...

I believe these new rules and strict enforcment of older laws are strictly political.

IMHO when the time comes, it will be an easy task to locate and deport the unruly and evil westerners.

First bill of business is extract as much money from the westerners as possible, then when that runs it's course, completely eliminate them from Thai soil. 

I am curious to see what happens in the next few years.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

50 year old Myanmar woman was using a curry and rice stall in Patong, Phuket as a front to sell Krathom leaf and Krathom tea, a restricted Class 5 drug. She was also found in possession of cough syrup (that is mixed with Krathom tea to heighten its effect).

Throw the book at this one.

Archived