Visa exempt entry after ED visa denied, possible?

I am in Ho Chi Minh City. My ED visa was denied with a "VOID" stamp all over it, despite having all documents (just changed to the latest requirements by the school a week earlier) and a 6 months bank statement showing around 65k EUR in the past 6 months coming in. The bank statement is not in English language, but it should be possible to understand the + / - numbers.

My passport was new (1 ED visa transferred to it in January), passport was issued via the Bangkok embassy of my country. When I applied for the visa they asked for the old passport - I said it does not exist anymore, because it is in my home country and I could not get it anyway. They seemed displeased by that.

My TM30 stamp card shows many stamps, evidently showing that I have been in Thailand around 3 years. That might be the reason why they denied / voided the visa.

I did not get any explanation why the visa was voided.

How likely it is I will be denied entering visa exempt with a void ED visa?

This year I stayed in Thailand:

- almost 4 months on ED visa

- 60 days visa exempt (with extension), left August 15

Before that I stayed in Thailand around 2,5 years (3 ED visas with re-entry permits), the whole visa period is around 3 years.

Normally I should have a good chance of entering CNX airport on Thursday via visa-exempt, right?

Because I have not used many exempt entries in the past few years, this year my exempt quota is well below 6 months etc.

What is your impression?

I just want to sell my motorbike and pack the rest of my stuff; I prepared for this scenario for a few months. All I need is 30 days exempt. (yes I know one actually needs a non-immigrant visa for that, but I cannot get it, so I have to try ???? )

• Sad 1

Might as well go for it. No real alternative. CM good idea. Worst thing can happen is denied entry and returned to Saigon. Perhaps some experienced members could advise anything to assist your case if questioned. I have read some members saying...."I need clear out my condo, sell my motorbike" etc etc.

I'm thinking less is best. For example you need fly out from bkk to return home etc. Your experienced so know to have money on you but that's not the issue. Print out of accomm would be good idea. I'm staying with gf (imho) not good. 

In any event I'm so hoping you can get back in to sort stuff out. Good luck.

Thank you both of you.

If I get denied, will Saigon take me back? I have a German passport, I am eligible for visa-exempt 15 days, but I am "illegal" in this case / denied passenger.

Only alternative is Elite for me now. Nowhere near retirement age, no marriage planned, no work planned in Thailand. I am not angry, I prepared for that case many months because I knew that I do not want to spend so much money for a 20 years visa.

If CNX Immigration questions me, I would say the truth that I understand we are not supposed to stay that long and I would politely ask for one stamp to get my stuff and return the room to the Thai owner. Because of the denied visa, I have no other option, I already wasted money on the visa application and school deposit - I do not want to apply for a tourist visa, because with all the reports in the forum it does not seem safer. Also a tourist visa (at least at the same embassy in Saigon) would likely be denied again I think.

I will try to explain Immigration in CNX to please give me a residence cert. (without a non-immigrant visa) to sell the motorbike.

There was one report fella denied entry and returned to Saigon. UK citizen. Then denied entry Saigon. Think ubonjoe (might be wrong) mentioned this was mistake by airline. In worst case scenario have this info up your sleeve. What's that saying ...hope for best, plan for worst. The 2 posts above seem to suggest you won't have a problem. The ongoing flight essential. Ubon suggested the void stamp wont be the main issue. I think i suggested same privately. Good luck. 

As I am German myself. You just get one visa-free entry into Vietnam per 30 days. So IF they deny you and you have to flight back, you`ll have a problem + more costs. So I would go for the land-border option, as you really need to get back to sell your stuff. For some IO at the airports it makes no sense that you have been on ED Visas and now want to enter on exempt. So like I told you, I wouldn`t risk it. Take a cheap ticket to KUL/PEN and look for land-border options from there. 

Did you apply for the past ED Visas in Germany or ASEAN Countries? It`s sad but HCM (and most probably others to follow) seems to have an unofficial rule. They want the people to apply for the ED Visa in their home countries. So there`s a reason why so many ED are denied recently. I always applied for all my visa in Germany/Spain, but as long as that rule is kept more or less secret AND the language school aren`t aware of it, there will be many more frustrating denials.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

As I am German myself. You just get one visa-free entry into Vietnam per 30 days. So IF they deny you and you have to flight back, you`ll have a problem + more costs. So I would go for the land-border option, as you really need to get back to sell your stuff.

Did you apply for the past ED Visas in Germany or ASEAN Countries? It`s sad but HCM (and most probably others to follow) seems to have an unofficial rule. They want the people to apply for the ED Visa in their home countries. So there`s a reason why so many ED are denied recently. I always applied for all my visa in Germany/Spain, but as long as that rule is kept more or less secret AND the language school aren`t aware of it, there will be many more frustrating denials.

The op has used his 2 visa exempt entries and just got a void stamp on his setv app Saigon. Right now he just needs back to los sort few things out and back Germany. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The op has used his 2 visa exempt entries and just got a void stamp on his setv app Saigon. Right now he just needs back to los sort few things out and back Germany. 

Yes, but where he says, that it was trough a land border? But I know, it will be much more complicated, if he gets denied at CNX, as Vietnam doesn`t joke with 2 entries within a 30 days period. So the land-border option would be just one extra-day for him, hassle free and he can sell his stuff/sort his things out. 

My current Vietnam visa exempt entry (entered August 15) is valid until August 30, could they cancel it? This would not be more than 2 entries in 30 days. For the case of getting denied, which I also do not believe.

Flight to CNX (direct, no Bangkok involved, otherwise I would not dare) is already booked - cannot be changed. That is why it seems my best option.

The void stamp is an ed visa, not a setv visa.

I used one visa exempt entry and one extension (total 60 days).

Thank you for all the replies.

Past ED visas were in Vientiane which is now not possible anymore - they deny and the school advised not to go there.

Should have really done it in Germany, but I just went there in June, so do not want to go back so soon just to get an ed visa.

ED visa entries were all in Vientiane / Nong Khai. Entries with re-entries were all in BKK in the past. Also the one visa-exempt entry was on June 19 in BKK.

Edited by cerox

2 minutes ago, cerox said:

My current Vietnam visa exempt entry (entered August 15) is valid until August 30, could they cancel it? This would not be more than 2 entries in 30 days. For the case of getting denied, which I also do not believe.

Flight to CNX (direct, no Bangkok involved, otherwise I would not dare) is already booked - cannot be changed. That is why it seems my best option.

The void stamp is an ed visa, not a setv visa.

I used one visa exempt entry and one extension (total 60 days).

The problem is, that those 15 days is a single-entry. It`s a quite hidden rule, as most just read the 15 days visa free entry. I just knew it, as I entered twice to Vietnam last year and i booked the flights with 35 days in between. 

You most probably won`t have problems in CNX, but IF....then it`s going to be tough. 

So in the event of having problems I should refuse to sign anything and explain the airline employee that Saigon cannot take me back so soon?

It is VietJetAir - they also fly to other countries luckily as KUL.

Still have two more days to think it through. Alternative would be flying to KUL, forgetting about the other flight and land border.

I will check out the Philippines once the motorbike is sold. My condo contract specifies I can cancel anytime early, of course I will not get the deposit back which is ok.

I also wanted to add that I gave them detailed bank statements (as they wished) - 6 months with in total more than 50k EUR coming in. So the only logical reason for "void"/denial is that I have been in Thailand too long which is clearly visible (passport from within Thailand, tm30 stamps on slip attached to the passport).

They did not allow me to talk or give me any reason for the void stamp.

23 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

Yes, but where he says, that it was trough a land border? But I know, it will be much more complicated, if he gets denied at CNX, as Vietnam doesn`t joke with 2 entries within a 30 days period. So the land-border option would be just one extra-day for him, hassle free and he can sell his stuff/sort his things out. 

True but have had chat with OP and he has used his 2 visa exempt border entries. So basically down to one option. Fly into CM visa exempt.

I also recently got denied with a VOID stamp for a Tourist Visa in HCMC a few days ago (from UK) and I had all the documentation (including hotels). However, I did have 4 previous tourist visas, just putting it out there as I'm not sure it's a good place to go now

Edited by Bountyhuntr

Personally I would as back up, obtain online letter of invitation for visa to Vietnam. Cost ~ 20usd. It takes about 24+ hours. Often 2 days so you would need date entry to Saigon same date you fly Saigon to BKK.  You can pay extra for the letter within hours. So could be done in holding room. Obviously cost more. That would cover airline insisting on return to Saigon. In this situation you need make sure have cell phone on you and a charger would not hurt. 

I am curious whether the invitation letter for the visa on arrival would be of any help. It is a good idea, but in that case I would not be a normal passenger. Anybody has experience?

As a denied passenger some countries I heard cancel the stamp that you left the country. I leave Vietnam on August 22, in this case I would "return" before August 30 if CNX denies entry (the current stamp validity).

Other option I am thinking about is travelling KUL first (never been there), forgetting about the CNX flight and enter via land border. If I get denied, would Malaysia take me back? Because if Malaysia/Vietnam do not take me back, I would be sent back to Germany. This would involve so much hassle and cost, since I still need to go back to CNX for my stuff.

If Immigration questions me it seems my best option to tell the truth that I need to return my condo etc. If I tell them I travel to the beach they obviously know (void ed visa) that it is not the truth.

Think ubonjoe told me you can obtain the visa-free stay back-to-back in Malaysia unlike Vietnam (so you wouldn't be sent back for that reason), but he wasn't sure Malaysia would want to keep you after being denied by Thailand so it's still not 100% guaranteed. I also vaguely remember an immigration officer from Malaysia warning me a few years ago of a UK guy being sent back to UK after being denied from Thailand.

Don't know of any countries you could be 100% safe after being sent back from a denial, hope something has some experience on that

edit: oh sorry you said denied at land border, you always can go back, no? Flying in is the only danger as far as I know.

Edited by Bountyhuntr

It seems like the reason why OP has been denied an ED visa, at the moment you can only have 1 a year.

His new passport the ED visa was transferred into it and he did or could not show his old passport.

Maybe the Thai consulate feels he had already been given an ED visa in this new passport this year???

Anyway Vietnam doesn't seem like a good option anymore...

What I read from other topics Vientiane and probably Savanakhet as well will issue only 1 ED visa a year.

What I can't figure out yet do they mean 1 in 2018 and another one in 2019 or is it an exact date (it has to be a full calendar year before they give you a new one? And is it the day when you applied for it in another country or the day you arrived in Thailand with this ED visa??

Is Penang still under the 'old' rules?

Thanks

Good point, I really do not know.

My last ED visa was from May 2018 until April 25, 2019. After that I left came back June 19, applied for the new ed visa. The last ED visa is almost 4 months back, but yes it was in 2019.

4 minutes ago, cerox said:

My last ED visa was from May 2018 until April 25, 2019. After that I left came back June 19, applied for the new ed visa. The last ED visa is almost 4 months back, but yes it was in 2019.

It could be the reason but of couse we can't be sure.

Did the school tell you to go to Saigon or did they mentioned another city, country?

Less options every year....

I have a couple more months on mine but trying to find out where is the best safest place to apply for one.

Not Vietnam, Malaysia you need a police clearance certificate, same in Myanmar, Laos should still be possible......

Anyway good luck to you and hopefully you find a way back into Thailand.

11 minutes ago, cerox said:

It would be from when you applied for your last non-ed visa at a embassy or consulate which was apparently May of last year.

You had been applying for extensions of the 90 day entry form that visa not new visas.

The school recommended Vietnam or Myanmar.

A few weeks ago they said Hanoi not possible anymore.

Last week they had students who were granted ED visas from Ho Chi Minh. Things might have changed or they just did not like my passport.

I will keep you posted how I managed to enter the country and if it is possible to sell the motorbike / get a residence cert. without a non-immigrant visa.