Dual Citizenship renouncing Thai Nationality

You don't have to renounce Thai citizenship. I am a naturalised Thai citizen & retained British citizenship. I have an American mate who was granted Thai citizenship on the same day as me & he didn't have to give up US citizenship.

• Like 1

Why do you want to renounce your Thai nationality?

I assume your birth has registered at the Thai embassy? Are you registered in a house book that was done at a Amphoe here?

You need parental consent until you are 20 years old to do it?

It possible possible to start the process at the Thai embassy in Washington DC or at a Amphoe here?

17 minutes ago, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

Is it possible to renounce Thai citizenship and keep US nationality only.

please tell us why. having additional passport and citizenship is something people pay $250,000 for. 

are you worried about the military thing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Guns said:

You don't have to renounce Thai citizenship. I am a naturalised Thai citizen & retained British citizenship. I have an American mate who was granted Thai citizenship on the same day as me & he didn't have to give up US citizenship.

It’s more of my own choice wanting to renounce it since I didn’t do what they called Rodor because I did not see a point of it when I am not planning to study and work here. I don’t want any issue with that if I keep the Thai. Might be easier to just renounce it if that make any senses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elzear said:

I say NEVER renounce a citizenship. Consider it as a privilege with all the advantages. You can live freely in the US and in Thailand. One thing to remember though: when you are in one of those countries of which you have citizenship you are under the laws of that country, not the other, in which case do not expect much support, and empathy, from the consular authorities if in need of help.

Keep those citizenships, even if you think you don’t need either of them.

I know ‘cause I got three ☺️

Like with other posts I been replying to, it is mostly the military thing that is my concerns. I just do not want any issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

It is possible, when you are 20.

I have no idea why you would want to do this though. As already stated, you can be a dual national and keep both citizenships.

My only concerns is the military thing because I chose not to do rodor. Since I didn’t see the point when I am planning to study abroad, live, and work.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why do you want to renounce your Thai nationality?

I assume your birth has registered at the Thai embassy? Are you registered in a house book that was done at a Amphoe here?

You need parental consent until you are 20 years old to do it?

It possible possible to start the process at the Thai embassy in Washington DC or at a Amphoe here?

I am in a house. I just want our because of the rodor and military. I did not do it because I did not see a point to when I want to go live my life abroad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

It is possible, when you are 20.

I have no idea why you would want to do this though. As already stated, you can be a dual national and keep both citizenships.

It is the military and Rodor. Like stated I really am going to study abroad, live, and work. I did not see a point in doing it. So my issue is that I just don’t want any problem if I do visit Thailand. That really is my only concern or reason. 

4 minutes ago, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

It is the military and Rodor. Like stated I really am going to study abroad, live, and work. I did not see a point in doing it. So my issue is that I just don’t want any problem if I do visit Thailand. That really is my only concern or reason. 

Then, of course, you do not need to be concerned about this until you actually decide you wish to visit Thailand. In the meantime, that problem may get resolved, which would then not require renouncing your citizenship. So, do not rush into this decision. Keep your options open. In the end, if you feel you must return to Thailand, and you cannot find a way around this issue of rodor, then you can deal with it at that time.

• Like 2

You have something very valuable, don't renounce it.

Just think about the business opportunities for a second, a trusted american guy who can run companies and own land in thailand - priceless.

If you ever want to get away from the US worldwide tax system it's also extremely handy...

As long as you stay out of thailand no one cares about military and after a certain age you aren't forced to do it anymore anyway?

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Up The Owls BG

• Like 1

Sorry, maybe I.m wrong, but if you have a US passport come in on that. Can anyone correct me ..there should be no problem , as if you had no thai citizenship. 

If you used your thai passport then maybe you are right. 

I believe at a certain age the military obbligations are scrubbed.

Could be wrong...

• Like 2

As stated, when you are 30 you will be too old to be drafted. Try and do it the correct way and get an exemption from your Embassy.

If you visit Thailand before the age of 30 then use your US passport.

If you don't get an exemption then once you are 30 all you have to do is go to the military recruitment office, pay a small fine and you will be deleted from the list of draftees as you will be too old.

The important thing is that if you are in Thailand before you are 30 then don't brag or boast about not having to do the draft. Just be quiet and don't talk about it.

There is no need to renounce your citizenship. If you have any questions in future years, do come back and ask. It will be interesting to get an update on your story.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

I was born in Greece but migrated to the US with my parents as a small boy , I got naturalized , grew up in the US and consider myself an American, but often visited Greece on vacation,  When I came of military age I was warned that because I was born in Greece, if I visited I might have a problem., my parents  contacted the Greek embassy, applied for a waiver , if I remember correctly the process cost about $1200, and a waiver was issued.

I suggest you call your consulate, explain your situation,and ask for advice . I am sure Thailand must have a similar system.   

On 8/19/2019 at 11:42 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

You have something very valuable, don't renounce it.

Just think about the business opportunities for a second, a trusted american guy who can run companies and own land in thailand - priceless.

If you ever want to get away from the US worldwide tax system it's also extremely handy...

As long as you stay out of thailand no one cares about military and after a certain age you aren't forced to do it anymore anyway?

True but would there be a problem if I just come visit even if I use US to come in?

17 minutes ago, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

True but would there be a problem if I just come visit even if I use US to come in?

Visit on your US passport. No problem with that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, blackcab said:

As stated, when you are 30 you will be too old to be drafted. Try and do it the correct way and get an exemption from your Embassy.

If you visit Thailand before the age of 30 then use your US passport.

If you don't get an exemption then once you are 30 all you have to do is go to the military recruitment office, pay a small fine and you will be deleted from the list of draftees as you will be too old.

The important thing is that if you are in Thailand before you are 30 then don't brag or boast about not having to do to draft. Just be quiet and don't talk about it.

There is no need to renounce your citizenship. If you have any questions in future years, do come back and ask. It will be interesting to get an update on your story.

So when I move and do visit the country as long as I use US for in and out I will be fine? Even if they can see in the airport that I do have a Thai passport? If so, then that would be the way I would like to do it. Come in with US then going back with US. When I am finally 30, I will be free. If that’s the case.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

Unless you have a Thai passport and enter the country using it you will never have to worry about the draft when you reach the age of 21. At the age of 30 your obligation for it it ends.

I living outside Thailand you can apply for a waiver of the draft at the embassy or one of the official consulates.

I see no reason for you to renounce your Thai nationality since having it will not create any problems for you. 

You are still young and you might change your mind about not wanting it later in life.

So as long as I just use US to come in and go out if I do visit Thailand until I am 30 I will be fine? 

1 hour ago, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

So as long as I just use US to come in and go out if I do visit Thailand until I am 30 I will be fine? 

You will be fine as long as you do not brag or boast about not having to do the draft.

Use your American passport to enter and leave Thailand, and avoid talking about the draft. If someone asks directly then explain that you are a student and you are exempt.

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, matsellah said:

The question remains:  How?

It could be done at the Thai embassy in Washington DC or one of the 3 official consulates. It would require contacting them about it.

There is nothing shown about it on the embassy website.

There is info on Berlin embassy website in Thai. It is the only one I can recall showing it. http://thai.thaiembassy.de/ausbuergern

On 9/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

So when I move and do visit the country as long as I use US for in and out I will be fine? Even if they can see in the airport that I do have a Thai passport? If so, then that would be the way I would like to do it. Come in with US then going back with US. When I am finally 30, I will be free. If that’s the case.

Why do you have a Thai passport?

Dont take it with you.

I always encourage the daughter to maintain her Thai passport, even though she normally uses her British passport to enter Thailand. She did not bring her Thai passport last time as having two passport was a potential problem, when she was in Malaysia, she read somewhere. She does not have the draft to worry about though. There was a recent article suggesting they may move more towards being a purely professional military, but have not seen any progress reported.

The Thai passport may be useful in the future...