Jump to content
BANGKOK
Teeraphat Akaravorasate

Dual Citizenship renouncing Thai Nationality

Recommended Posts

I am a 17 year old born in Florida with Thai parents. I am looking to study, live, and work Abroad. Is it possible to renounce Thai citizenship and keep US nationality only. If so, at what age and what would be the steps requirements? Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to renounce Thai citizenship. I am a naturalised Thai citizen & retained British citizenship. I have an American mate who was granted Thai citizenship on the same day as me & he didn't have to give up US citizenship.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you want to renounce your Thai nationality?

I assume your birth has registered at the Thai embassy? Are you registered in a house book that was done at a Amphoe here?

You need parental consent until you are 20 years old to do it?

It possible possible to start the process at the Thai embassy in Washington DC or at a Amphoe here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

Is it possible to renounce Thai citizenship and keep US nationality only.

please tell us why. having additional passport and citizenship is something people pay $250,000 for. 

are you worried about the military thing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible, when you are 20.

 

I have no idea why you would want to do this though. As already stated, you can be a dual national and keep both citizenships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big Guns said:

You don't have to renounce Thai citizenship. I am a naturalised Thai citizen & retained British citizenship. I have an American mate who was granted Thai citizenship on the same day as me & he didn't have to give up US citizenship.

It’s more of my own choice wanting to renounce it since I didn’t do what they called Rodor because I did not see a point of it when I am not planning to study and work here. I don’t want any issue with that if I keep the Thai. Might be easier to just renounce it if that make any senses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

please tell us why. having additional passport and citizenship is something people pay $250,000 for. 

are you worried about the military thing?

That is exactly why. I did not see a point so I did not do it. Just don’t want any issue when I do come visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Elzear said:

I say NEVER renounce a citizenship. Consider it as a privilege with all the advantages. You can live freely in the US and in Thailand. One thing to remember though: when you are in one of those countries of which you have citizenship you are under the laws of that country, not the other, in which case do not expect much support, and empathy, from the consular authorities if in need of help.

Keep those citizenships, even if you think you don’t need either of them.

I know ‘cause I got three ☺️

 

Like with other posts I been replying to, it is mostly the military thing that is my concerns. I just do not want any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blackcab said:

It is possible, when you are 20.

 

I have no idea why you would want to do this though. As already stated, you can be a dual national and keep both citizenships.

My only concerns is the military thing because I chose not to do rodor. Since I didn’t see the point when I am planning to study abroad, live, and work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why do you want to renounce your Thai nationality?

I assume your birth has registered at the Thai embassy? Are you registered in a house book that was done at a Amphoe here?

You need parental consent until you are 20 years old to do it?

It possible possible to start the process at the Thai embassy in Washington DC or at a Amphoe here?

I am in a house. I just want our because of the rodor and military. I did not do it because I did not see a point to when I want to go live my life abroad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blackcab said:

It is possible, when you are 20.

 

I have no idea why you would want to do this though. As already stated, you can be a dual national and keep both citizenships.

It is the military and Rodor. Like stated I really am going to study abroad, live, and work. I did not see a point in doing it. So my issue is that I just don’t want any problem if I do visit Thailand. That really is my only concern or reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Teeraphat Akaravorasate said:

It is the military and Rodor. Like stated I really am going to study abroad, live, and work. I did not see a point in doing it. So my issue is that I just don’t want any problem if I do visit Thailand. That really is my only concern or reason. 

Then, of course, you do not need to be concerned about this until you actually decide you wish to visit Thailand. In the meantime, that problem may get resolved, which would then not require renouncing your citizenship. So, do not rush into this decision. Keep your options open. In the end, if you feel you must return to Thailand, and you cannot find a way around this issue of rodor, then you can deal with it at that time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You have something very valuable, don't renounce it.

Just think about the business opportunities for a second, a trusted american guy who can run companies and own land in thailand - priceless.

If you ever want to get away from the US worldwide tax system it's also extremely handy...

 

As long as you stay out of thailand no one cares about military and after a certain age you aren't forced to do it anymore anyway?

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...