Mabprachan Dragonboat Races

a340bangla1

Just passed the admission booth they set up for the races.

Farang admission is 150 Baht, Khon Thai 50 Baht (written in Thai, so Farang cannot read). 

I did not really count, but apart from the Asian teams there are between 5 and 10 farang teams. Spanish, French, Dutch, Swiss, German and all the Anglo-Saxons. I wonder what the members of those teams will think of the double pricing....

I for one will definitely not be there to cheer on my nations team

Everywhere  in Thailand it  seems the Thai "Business people"  are  shooting themselves in the foot!

From National parks to retail shopping centres and now what used to be  free entry the "Dragon boat  races" on Mabrachan !

I took seven  friends to the "Floating market"  about five years ago and they tried to charge the  4 Farangs of the party  200 Baht each  just to shop there, we all refused their  kind offer of "payment to shop" and personally I have never been there again since and would not out of pure common sense and a little outrage  want to pay to be overcharged  for what is nothing more than cheap  tourists tat  and be charged an entry fee for the privilege  to boot! !

In those past five  years we have had many visitors from the UK Australia and struggle to find genuine places to show them around   without being "Ripped off"   by a two tier price system.

If there had been  no entry fee I would have been taking visitors there many times over the years, who no doubt would have spent money with them, are they so short sighted and greedy that they cannot understand just how much money their greedy stupidity has cost them?

I also don't like double pricing but 150 baht to enter a world dragon boat race event seems very little to get upset about. That's less than 2 or 3 beers in most places in town with little to remember afterwards. The local costs of putting on this event must be considerable and it does seem to be very well organized. Just my view.

12 minutes ago, oxforddon said:

I also don't like double pricing but 150 baht to enter a world dragon boat race event seems very little to get upset about. That's less than 2 or 3 beers in most places in town with little to remember afterwards. The local costs of putting on this event must be considerable and it does seem to be very well organized. Just my view.

Actually, it is not the 150 Baht that puts me off, but the fact that a good part of competitors is made up by farangs and still the double tier pricing applies.

Oh, well - it is what it is.

6 hours ago, oxforddon said:

surely you have missed the point of the thread....double pricing?

Another day out off my list! Used to attend this free day most years by the lake. I would take a cold box with beer and get the Mrs to drive home. Not happy to have to pay for it, it isn't worth it, and less so to see foreigner price gouging in place. 

Archived