Recall UK parliament to tackle Brexit crisis, opposition Labour Party says

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Johnson would be committed to a deal if the EU offer something better than deal Corbyn was not prepared to support.

Fighting against no deal and fighting against a deal does make Corbyn better than anybody........ the picture is accurate.

The uk govt negotiated the deal on offer. A deal that protects the Good Friday Agreement.

What makes corbyn better is he is committed to allowing the electorate to vote on the whole no deal route. 

The picture is childish. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

The uk govt negotiated the deal on offer. A deal that protects the Good Friday Agreement.

I’What makes corbyn better is he is committed to allowing the electorate to vote on the whole no deal route, as you say. 

The picture is childish. 

The UK government rejected Mays deal.

Allowing the electorate to vote on a no deal Brexit is meaningless, they do not respect the wishes of the electorate as proven.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

The UK government rejected Mays deal.

Allowing the electorate to vote on a no deal Brexit is meaningless, they do not respect the wishes of the electorate as proven.

The consequences of brexit with a deal or no deal are clear. 

I fully support corbyn’s attempt to let the electorate decide. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Whilst most people would not support such a meaningless exercise in how not to be democratic. If you are going to vote on something don't reject the answer you don't like, that would that make it it pointless in the first instance. It would be total folly to hold a vote knowingly you were not going to honour the result, would it not.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Whilst most people would not support such a meaningless exercise in how not to be democratic. If you are going to vote on something don't reject the answer you don't like, that would that make it it pointless in the first instance. It would be total folly to hold a vote knowingly you were not going to honour the result, would it not.

No one specifically voted for no deal.

No one specifically voted for a particular deal. 

The options are now there. 

Put them to the vote. 

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No one voted for no deal. No one voted for a particular deal. 

The options are now there. 

Put them to the vote. 

We all know what we voted for, it has been done to death on here and I am not playing your imaginary caveat game, that in desperation remainers come up with. Bye

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

We all know what we voted for, it has been done to death on here and I am not playing your imaginary caveat game, that in desperation remainers come up with. Bye

You know what you voted for. 

You are not the entirety of the electorate. 

You do not know what everyone voted for. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

There were two choices, without adding the remainers imaginary caveats.

41 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The Leader of the Lib Dems already said she would still vote against Brexit if Leave won a second referendum. 

So there is no point having another vote. We'd still be deadlocked. It's just a delaying tactic with a vague hope that Remain wins and all the Leavers accept it and go home.

17 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes he does.

Repeating ad nauseam because it is sinking in with you:-

X in the box ......................Leave/Remain

It amazes me that so many of you seem to be Pro Brexit and on the right. Yet you, yourselves, are immigrants in a 'foreign' country but you are against people working and living together as a 'union'. Here are some points that many of you seem to have forgotten about:

As the UK started this problem it is up to them to come up with the solution. The EU offered you a deal which your parliament rejected. Therefore the next 'move' in the negotiations is up to the UK and not the EU.

The EU will not change the protection of the Irish backstop. It is there to protect the God Friday Agreement which the British government signed. If a border re appears in Ireland it will lead to violence and the troubles could return.

What about the millions of UK citizens living around Europe? Many of them are retired and own property in Spain, France etc.

What about the millions of EU experts working and living in the UK? Many of them do jobs that the Failing UK Education system fail to provide for. ie doctors, architects, engineers, nureses, teachers etc????

Finally, the US will not provide the UK with a good trade deal if the Irish backstop is not upheld. There are millions of American voters with Irish heritage. Tearing up the GFA will anger them. They funded the troubles so they need to be kept on side.

Parliament needs to be called back asap to start discussing it... Johnston is trying to run the clock down and wasting valuable time.

19 minutes ago, claffey said:

It amazes me that so many of you seem to be Pro Brexit and on the right. Yet you, yourselves, are immigrants in a 'foreign' country but you are against people working and living together as a 'union'. Here are some points that many of you seem to have forgotten about:

As the UK started this problem it is up to them to come up with the solution. The EU offered you a deal which your parliament rejected. Therefore the next 'move' in the negotiations is up to the UK and not the EU.

The EU will not change the protection of the Irish backstop. It is there to protect the God Friday Agreement which the British government signed. If a border re appears in Ireland it will lead to violence and the troubles could return.

What about the millions of UK citizens living around Europe? Many of them are retired and own property in Spain, France etc.

What about the millions of EU experts working and living in the UK? Many of them do jobs that the Failing UK Education system fail to provide for. ie doctors, architects, engineers, nureses, teachers etc????

Finally, the US will not provide the UK with a good trade deal if the Irish backstop is not upheld. There are millions of American voters with Irish heritage. Tearing up the GFA will anger them. They funded the troubles so they need to be kept on side.

Parliament needs to be called back asap to start discussing it... Johnston is trying to run the clock down and wasting valuable time.

Your logic is TOTALLY flawed...

Don't compare Thailand to the EU. Thailand is one of the most racist countries I have been to...... they have great immigration policies though. Actually, it is good to use Thailand of an example why the UK voted to leave the EU... a ense of national pride, Thailand first, ASEAN features secondarily.

The EU offered a deal, UK parliament rejected it - how the h3ll can it be the UK's next move. If the EU want a deal then they have to renegotiate. I don't really care if they don't but please don't whine about no deal if Brussels does not make a move.

The UK has already guaranteed the rights of EU citizens living in the UK.... any EU countries not reciprocating would be foolish.

The UK will continue to provide jobs for EU citizens that want to work in the UK. There may be a refinement to the 'immigration' but - hey - that is like Thailand which you seem to like to us as a comparable.

Johnson is trying to get a deal, recalling parliament would achieve as much as it achieved when it last sat..... <deleted> all!!

9 hours ago, baboon said:

So what? Recall them anyway and disrupt their cushy holidays. They have had no problem in leaving us is limbo for the past three years while taking our money. F- 'em.

9 hours ago, baboon said:

They will anyway, once back from their holidays.

Look, let's put our Brexit differences aside for a moment. The UK is in bedlam, the GBPeso sinking, the likes of us taking out our frustrations on one another. The least our representatives can do is show up for work and either steady the ship or go down with it... 

Whilst appreciating many serious and sensible contributions on this thread (Forgetting the reality defying "Everyone voted for leave understanding it meant no deal" line), I thought this cartoon on the standard holidays was appropriate. It's just possible that MPs may actually want to come back so they can avoid the ridicule! 

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 09.19.40.png

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

No point in recalling parliament as there are no solutions there - as has been proved in the last 6 months.

Any action will happen on the near continent otherwise no deal Brexit happens on 31 October.

Corbyn can go and put his feet up - he has been f-all use in the last 3 years anyway.

You forget, perhaps intentionally, despite Brexiteer claims to the contrary Parliament is sovereign.

58 minutes ago, vogie said:

There were two choices, without adding the remainers imaginary caveats.

Now there are more and the consequences of all choices are clearer. 

Lets hope corbyn gets to let the electorate vote on preferred option. 

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The Leader of the Lib Dems already said she would still vote against Brexit if Leave won a second referendum. 

So there is no point having another vote. We'd still be deadlocked. It's just a delaying tactic with a vague hope that Remain wins and all the Leavers accept it and go home.

Brexitocracy and it’s antipathy towards voting. 

47 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Yes he does.

Repeating ad nauseam because it is sinking in with you:-

X in the box ......................Leave/Remain

No he doesn’t. 

Each voter represents themselves and no one else. 

He does not speak for everyone. 

Corbyn ignored the result of a no confidence vote when he was on the receiving end & now he's finger-wagging Boris?

I couldn't find the exact figures (172 to 40 or something like that) but look what popped up instead...

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You forget, perhaps intentionally, despite Brexiteer claims to the contrary Parliament is sovereign.

Good morning Chomper.

The Queen is sovereign.

Parliamentary sovereignty extends to it being the supreme legal authority in the UK. The lawmakers..

In case your memory has failed you those lawmakers have made the default legal position a no deal exit on 31 October.

The same lawmakers who could not vote through the EU deal.

In Thailand they might say som nom nar.

They should be kissing Boris' butt for trying to bring a revised deal to the House.

27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Brexitocracy and it’s antipathy towards voting. 

Antipathy towards voting? You're confused again (it doesn't take much to confuse you).

I am all for voting, if the vote is respected before voting again. That's how Democracy works.

13 hours ago, baboon said:

Damn right they should be recalled. How the hell they seemed to think that swanning off on holiday with this crisis going on was fine, is absolutely bloody mind-boggling.

Recalling Parliament is pointless.    What would they achieve other than attempt to subvert the wishes of 17.4 million people.  They were unable to agree to anything in 3 years, so nothing positive to ensure we leave the EU with a deal would be achieved.

Regardless of political tribalism, the nation made a decision and it is up to politician to honour that decision.   A deal with the EU is preferable, but in the absence of that, a no-deal on withdrawal seems to be on the cards.   It was and is my understanding that we voted in June 2016 to Leave the EU.   How we left we delegated to the politician but sadly, because they had other ideas, we are where we are now.

The Prime Ministers job now is to steer the country through this problem and we, the people, must not lose our nerve.   If he is stopped by the Pro-Euro MPs in Parliament as may happen, he will call an election, although given the divisive split in the country, I'm not sure that will resolve anything. 

To continually go round the houses as to the rights and wrongs of this situation will achieve nothing other than to produce more hostility and animosity amongst the nation.   

We must stop prevaricating and honour the decision.

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Antipathy towards voting? You're confused again (it doesn't take much to confuse you).

I am all for voting, if the vote is respected before voting again. That's how Democracy works.

Then why oppose there being a vote on all the options (and their consequences) now available. 

19 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Good morning Chomper.

The Queen is sovereign.

Parliamentary sovereignty extends to it being the supreme legal authority in the UK. The lawmakers..

In case your memory has failed you those lawmakers have made the default legal position a no deal exit on 31 October.

The same lawmakers who could not vote through the EU deal.

In Thailand they might say som nom nar.

They should be kissing Boris' butt for trying to bring a revised deal to the House.

The Queen is The Sovereign, Parliament is Sovereign.

There is a subtle but important distinction that appears to have evaded you.

I wouldn’t put to much store in what Johnson says he is doing.

And, good morning to you too.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Then why oppose there being a vote on all the options and there consequences now available. 

You're hard work, it's like explaining things to someone with dementia.

I'll try one more time. I oppose it because Remainers do not accept the result of votes unless they win. Therefore a second referendum solves nothing. Democracy only works if people accept losing. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe the leader of the Lib Dems.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/23/lib-dem-leader-jo-swinson-says-would-vote-against-brexit-even/

So the Lib Dems would still block the result of any second vote in Parliament. Therefore I oppose a second vote because it is pointless and just pushes the impasse 12 months down the road. No doubt you will add the "Confused" emoji to this post but I've really tried to make it as simple as possible for you.

image.png.e3694d63081a4cc8a494e34ac01fe87c.png

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How about 'The Queen is a Monarch & the Sovereign is a coin'?

(Morning Chomper! ???? )

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You're hard work, it's like explaining things to someone with dementia.

I'll try one more time. I oppose it because Remainers do not accept the result of votes unless they win. Therefore a second referendum solves nothing. Democracy only works if people accept losing. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe the leader of the Lib Dems.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/23/lib-dem-leader-jo-swinson-says-would-vote-against-brexit-even/

So the Lib Dems would still block the result of any second vote in Parliament. Therefore I oppose a second vote because it is pointless and just pushes the impasse 12 months down the road. No doubt you will add the "Confused" emoji to this post but I've really tried to make it as simple as possible for you.

image.png.e3694d63081a4cc8a494e34ac01fe87c.png

Ah as always with you and brexitocracy, start with abuse. 

I completely disagree with your entire premise. 

For one thing I am not talking about a referendum. 

I hope corbyn succeeds and calls an election where the electorate can vote on all available options. 

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wouldn’t put to much store in what Johnson says he is doing.

I think we are talking the same thing ????

Parliamentary sovereignty is a principle of the UK constitution. It makes Parliament the supreme legal authority in the UK which can create or end any law.

Archived