Recall UK parliament to tackle Brexit crisis, opposition Labour Party says

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

No point in recalling parliament as there are no solutions there - as has been proved in the last 6 months.

Any action will happen on the near continent otherwise no deal Brexit happens on 31 October.

Corbyn can go and put his feet up - he has been f-all use in the last 3 years anyway.

You forget, perhaps intentionally, despite Brexiteer claims to the contrary Parliament is sovereign.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, vogie said:

There were two choices, without adding the remainers imaginary caveats.

Now there are more and the consequences of all choices are clearer. 

Lets hope corbyn gets to let the electorate vote on preferred option. 

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The Leader of the Lib Dems already said she would still vote against Brexit if Leave won a second referendum. 

So there is no point having another vote. We'd still be deadlocked. It's just a delaying tactic with a vague hope that Remain wins and all the Leavers accept it and go home.

Brexitocracy and it’s antipathy towards voting. 

48 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The electorate decided already

Yep and now various options are available. 

Let the people vote on preference not just the minority that voted johnson pm. 

47 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Yes he does.

Repeating ad nauseam because it is sinking in with you:-

X in the box ......................Leave/Remain

No he doesn’t. 

Each voter represents themselves and no one else. 

He does not speak for everyone. 

Corbyn ignored the result of a no confidence vote when he was on the receiving end & now he's finger-wagging Boris?

I couldn't find the exact figures (172 to 40 or something like that) but look what popped up instead...

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You forget, perhaps intentionally, despite Brexiteer claims to the contrary Parliament is sovereign.

Good morning Chomper.

The Queen is sovereign.

Parliamentary sovereignty extends to it being the supreme legal authority in the UK. The lawmakers..

In case your memory has failed you those lawmakers have made the default legal position a no deal exit on 31 October.

The same lawmakers who could not vote through the EU deal.

In Thailand they might say som nom nar.

They should be kissing Boris' butt for trying to bring a revised deal to the House.

27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Brexitocracy and it’s antipathy towards voting. 

Antipathy towards voting? You're confused again (it doesn't take much to confuse you).

I am all for voting, if the vote is respected before voting again. That's how Democracy works.

13 hours ago, baboon said:

Damn right they should be recalled. How the hell they seemed to think that swanning off on holiday with this crisis going on was fine, is absolutely bloody mind-boggling.

Recalling Parliament is pointless.    What would they achieve other than attempt to subvert the wishes of 17.4 million people.  They were unable to agree to anything in 3 years, so nothing positive to ensure we leave the EU with a deal would be achieved.

Regardless of political tribalism, the nation made a decision and it is up to politician to honour that decision.   A deal with the EU is preferable, but in the absence of that, a no-deal on withdrawal seems to be on the cards.   It was and is my understanding that we voted in June 2016 to Leave the EU.   How we left we delegated to the politician but sadly, because they had other ideas, we are where we are now.

The Prime Ministers job now is to steer the country through this problem and we, the people, must not lose our nerve.   If he is stopped by the Pro-Euro MPs in Parliament as may happen, he will call an election, although given the divisive split in the country, I'm not sure that will resolve anything. 

To continually go round the houses as to the rights and wrongs of this situation will achieve nothing other than to produce more hostility and animosity amongst the nation.   

We must stop prevaricating and honour the decision.

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Antipathy towards voting? You're confused again (it doesn't take much to confuse you).

I am all for voting, if the vote is respected before voting again. That's how Democracy works.

Then why oppose there being a vote on all the options (and their consequences) now available. 

19 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Good morning Chomper.

The Queen is sovereign.

Parliamentary sovereignty extends to it being the supreme legal authority in the UK. The lawmakers..

In case your memory has failed you those lawmakers have made the default legal position a no deal exit on 31 October.

The same lawmakers who could not vote through the EU deal.

In Thailand they might say som nom nar.

They should be kissing Boris' butt for trying to bring a revised deal to the House.

The Queen is The Sovereign, Parliament is Sovereign.

There is a subtle but important distinction that appears to have evaded you.

I wouldn’t put to much store in what Johnson says he is doing.

And, good morning to you too.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Then why oppose there being a vote on all the options and there consequences now available. 

You're hard work, it's like explaining things to someone with dementia.

I'll try one more time. I oppose it because Remainers do not accept the result of votes unless they win. Therefore a second referendum solves nothing. Democracy only works if people accept losing. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe the leader of the Lib Dems.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/23/lib-dem-leader-jo-swinson-says-would-vote-against-brexit-even/

So the Lib Dems would still block the result of any second vote in Parliament. Therefore I oppose a second vote because it is pointless and just pushes the impasse 12 months down the road. No doubt you will add the "Confused" emoji to this post but I've really tried to make it as simple as possible for you.

image.png.e3694d63081a4cc8a494e34ac01fe87c.png

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How about 'The Queen is a Monarch & the Sovereign is a coin'?

(Morning Chomper! 😎 )

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You're hard work, it's like explaining things to someone with dementia.

I'll try one more time. I oppose it because Remainers do not accept the result of votes unless they win. Therefore a second referendum solves nothing. Democracy only works if people accept losing. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe the leader of the Lib Dems.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/23/lib-dem-leader-jo-swinson-says-would-vote-against-brexit-even/

So the Lib Dems would still block the result of any second vote in Parliament. Therefore I oppose a second vote because it is pointless and just pushes the impasse 12 months down the road. No doubt you will add the "Confused" emoji to this post but I've really tried to make it as simple as possible for you.

image.png.e3694d63081a4cc8a494e34ac01fe87c.png

Ah as always with you and brexitocracy, start with abuse. 

I completely disagree with your entire premise. 

For one thing I am not talking about a referendum. 

I hope corbyn succeeds and calls an election where the electorate can vote on all available options. 

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wouldn’t put to much store in what Johnson says he is doing.

I think we are talking the same thing 😀

Parliamentary sovereignty is a principle of the UK constitution. It makes Parliament the supreme legal authority in the UK which can create or end any law.

Archived