Recall UK parliament to tackle Brexit crisis, opposition Labour Party says

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Referenda are not elections.

But the general election that followed, in which 85% voted for parties standing on a manifesto to enact the result of the referendum, was in fact an election.

You think it's OK to promise before a referendum that the vote will be respected, then follow it up with a general election in which the elected government and the opposition stand on manifestos to respect the result, then have parliament actually vote with a massive majority to enact legislation to Leave, and then after all that, just change your mind and decide not to leave after all. That's your idea of Democracy? ????

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

During the 1976 Milk Race a number of riders, including the whole of the Russian team, twice dismounted to walk up hills around the Louth area.  

I apologize for offending anyone from Lincolnshire. i should have limited my comments to the area just  south of the river Humber. A desolate area indeed with towns with names like Scunthorpe.

How could any respectable woman live in such a place?

Regarding the whole of the Russian team dismounting around the Louth area, could this have been perhaps due to an unfortunate overdose of steroids? Tests in those years were far more rudimentary and as seen from the enclosed photo, the incline really doesn't look too challenging.

lincs wolds.jpg

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

But the general election that followed, in which 85% voted for parties standing on a manifesto to enact the result of the referendum, was in fact an election.

You think it's OK to promise before a referendum that the vote will be respected, then follow it up with a general election in which the elected government and the opposition stand on manifestos to respect the result, then have parliament actually vote with a massive majority to enact legislation to Leave, and then after all that, just change your mind and decide not to leave after all. That's your idea of Democracy? ????

So, the PM and cabinet changes to and moves steps har right then sets about on a course of action that would, if unchecked, result in a no-deal Brexit.

A no-deal Brexit that was only ever meant as a threat to get a deal, was never part of the Leave Campaign, and therefore not what the electorate voted for and happens to have been voted against by Parliament. 

Let's take another view:

The Tory Governments, since Cameron have made an utter pigs ear of Brexit, the no-deal Brexit that the far rightwing of the Tory Government are attempting to achieve is not supported by Parliament and there is no evidence it is supported by the electorate.

The deal is on the table, No-Brexit has failed to get another deal, the Tories have failed.

Time for another Government and the deal to be put to the electorate - This deal or remain... Add leave with no-deal if you like, nobody will  vote for it. 

Which is precisely why Brexiteers and specifically those baying for a no-deal Brexit are so opposed to asking the electorate. 

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

No he didn't ...... and adult population doesn't = electorate.

You knew exactly what I meant........................ but just for the sake of clarity:-

UK votes to LEAVE the EU

EU Referendum results, counting complete

Leave
Vote share
51.9%
Votes 17,410,742 Votes

Remain

Vote share
48.1%
Votes 16,141,241 Votes
0 results left to declare

EU Referendum latest updates

1. LEAVE
    UK votes to LEAVE the EU
Electorate 46,501,241
Turnout 72.2%

Rejected ballots 26,033

Yes, the adult population is an even larger figure than the electorate so further reducing the 37% figure of UK adults who voted to leave.

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Yes, the adult population is an even larger figure than the electorate so further reducing the 37% figure of UK adults who voted to leave.

Yes, 37.4% of the electorate and the remain vote was only 34.7%

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

I apologize for offending anyone from Lincolnshire. i should have limited my comments to the area just  south of the river Humber. A desolate area indeed with towns with names like Scunthorpe.

How could any respectable woman live in such a place?

Regarding the whole of the Russian team dismounting around the Louth area, could this have been perhaps due to an unfortunate overdose of steroids? Tests in those years were far more rudimentary and as seen from the enclosed photo, the incline really doesn't look too challenging.

lincs wolds.jpg

So the steroids were of dubious emphh?

My folks were all from Lincolnshire. It is a great county, producing the finest bangers and mash. 

16 minutes ago, bannork said:

The rules of a referendum are clear. The electorate are asked to vote, the votes are counted, and the results are announced. Leave got roughly 52% of the vote, and Remain got roughly 48% of the vote. That was the result of the referendum.

What do you hope to achieve by using a different methodology? 

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Seems that Boris has fired off a letter finally to Tusk Barnier and Co last night demanding the axing of the backstop. I have little doubt these are the last actions of a dead in the water PM.

Like it or not that no confidence vote is coming with Boris removal swiftly to follow. Jezzer as temporary PM feels like a fantasy but make no mistake protocol says its him if the votes stack up

Make no mistake Sterling will surge I'd say at least to $1.32 within 48 hours which will keep many happy including me

The remain contingency (Gina Miller etc.) have not yet established whether they can legally stop Boris from allowing us to leave on 31st October. As things stand Boris can sit on his hands and we'll leave on Oct 31st, deal or no deal. 

No matter how excited Corbyn is about getting his slippers under the table in no.10, he'll never gain enough support from across the HoC to be the caretaker PM.  He's far too divisive. 

Unfortunately, even if Tusk and co agree to remove the backstop I don't know if enough MPs will vote in favour of the new deal. For sure Corbyn / Labour won't vote in favour of any deal negotiated by the Tories no matter how good it is. The Lib Dems want to remain, so they won't back it. 

So ironically it could be Labour and the Lib Dems who end up forcing us to leave without a deal! 

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The rules of a referendum are clear. The electorate are asked to vote, the votes are counted, and the results are announced. Leave got roughly 52% of the vote, and Remain got roughly 48% of the vote. That was the result of the referendum.

What do you hope to achieve by using a different methodology? 

sigh! I pointed out the misleading impression some posters give by claiming 52% of the electorate voted to leave. They didn't because only 72% of the electorate voted. Only 37% of the electorate voted to leave.

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So, the PM and cabinet changes to and moves steps har right then sets about on a course of action that would, if unchecked, result in a no-deal Brexit.

A no-deal Brexit that was only ever meant as a threat to get a deal, was never part of the Leave Campaign, and therefore not what the electorate voted for and happens to have been voted against by Parliament. 

Let's take another view:

The Tory Governments, since Cameron have made an utter pigs ear of Brexit, the no-deal Brexit that the far rightwing of the Tory Government are attempting to achieve is not supported by Parliament and there is no evidence it is supported by the electorate.

The deal is on the table, No-Brexit has failed to get another deal, the Tories have failed.

Time for another Government and the deal to be put to the electorate - This deal or remain... Add leave with no-deal if you like, nobody will  vote for it. 

Which is precisely why Brexiteers and specifically those baying for a no-deal Brexit are so opposed to asking the electorate. 

Let's take another (my) view:

The Tory (May's) government post Cameron made an utter pigs ear of Brexit, culminating with this so-called "withdrawal agreement", which is terrible for the UK and absolutely not supported by Parliament, with no evidence that it is supported in any strength by the people. May was in charge of a cabinet that was dominated by remainers (including herself) for 3 years - it is obvious from the pathetic outcome that her government negotiated weakly, underhandedly and surreptitiously - I'm not sure whether or not that happened by accident or design but I think that this is why we are now in the corner of the room facing the wall with a pointy hat on, with the possibility of no deal at all in a few weeks.

If the EU want to earn some respect from the Britain and elsewhere, then they should offer to renegotiate for a reasonable agreement now, in which case a further extension would be worthwhile, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

sigh! I pointed out the misleading impression some posters give by claiming 52% of the electorate voted to leave. They didn't because only 72% of the electorate voted. Only 37% of the electorate voted to leave.

How many times?

OK then: 

37% of the electorate voted to leave. 

34% of the electorate voted to stay. 

28% of the electorate abstained or chose not to vote - these are non votes.

The referendum is only decided on votes counted. So leave won.

The End.

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Let's take another (my) view:

The Tory (May's) government post Cameron made an utter pigs ear of Brexit, culminating with this so-called "withdrawal agreement", which is terrible for the UK and absolutely not supported by Parliament, with no evidence that it is supported in any strength by the people. May was in charge of a cabinet that was dominated by remainers (including herself) for 3 years - it is obvious from the pathetic outcome that her government negotiated weakly, underhandedly and surreptitiously - I'm not sure whether or not that happened by accident or design but I think that this is why we are now in the corner of the room facing the wall with a pointy hat on, with the possibility of no deal at all in a few weeks.

If the EU want to earn some respect from the Britain and elsewhere, then they should offer to renegotiate for a reasonable agreement now, in which case a further extension would be worthwhile, in my opinion.

Because if they don’t the UK will opt for the most extreme form

of self harm on the Brexit menu.

Respect you say.

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

Ok, whatever floats your boat. 

22 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

down with the 4th reich we want freedom from their interference on oct31

Just a 10 weeks and we finally are released from the British, who still think they can control with a 67 mln the total EU with over 450 mln inhabitants. The time fo the British Raj is over.

The exchange rate of the GBP went down again... 

9 hours ago, Victornoir said:

You cling to this idea like a louse on the head of a tramp.
The choices of the voters are not fixed. They evolve with time, new information and situations. You can not refuse it.

The choises were: Remain (48,11%) or... Leave ( 51,88%) , but nothing about… which form, consequences etc.

I can imagine, the British public finally wants to know, WHICH.. "Leave" = second referendum which...

will of the people can change.png

8 hours ago, vogie said:

I think it is you that seems to be confused, you cannot keep voting ad infinitum untill you get the vote that suits you, it would make, and indeed is making the whole point of voting a complete farce, you would turn a democratic country into a dictatorship by your described reasoning.

Sure you can, in about 20 years time maybe we should have another referendum on joining the EU....

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

The choises were: Remain (48,11%) or... Leave ( 51,88%) , but nothing about… which form, consequences etc.

I can imagine, the British public finally wants to know, WHICH.. "Leave" = second referendum which...

I assure you, you know Sweet FA about us British, just like the little Corporal in WWII

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

I can assure you that they don't.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Sure you can, in about 20 years time maybe we should have another referendum on joining the EU....

The Single Kingdom of England & Wales will:

1) Pay the default of 2019 leave = GBP 39 Bn + interests

2) Accept Schengen, €uro and right lane traffic

3) Valid for the coming 199 years

4) Only when 2/3 of all British voters agree

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

The Single Kingdom of England & Wales will:

1) Pay the default of 2019 leave = GBP 39 Bn + interests

2) Accept Schengen, €uro and right lane traffic

3) Valid for the coming 199 years

4) Only when 2/3 of all British voters agree

Have you been at the Advocaat ?

Digest this with your nightcap..

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/24/the-europe-union-has-bigger-problems-to-deal-with-than-brexit

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Have you been at the Advocaat ?

Digest this with your nightcap..

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/24/the-europe-union-has-bigger-problems-to-deal-with-than-brexit

Of course there will also be problems for the EU.
But independence from the undemocratic UK dictatorship is worth it (to express it in Brexit terminology).

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Of course there will also be problems for the EU.
But independence from the undemocratic UK dictatorship is worth it (to express it in Brexit terminology).

On one thing we agree.

A divorce made in heaven.

How you in the EU can call the UK undemocratic shows why we should never have allowed ourselves to join the EU........ Peter Shore was right.

Just get your masters to get a deal offered, that the UK parliament can rubber stamp, and we can all get on with our lives - everybody happy.

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

a) Better Dutch Advocaat than British lukewarm beer

b) Donot worry about my night cap.

c) In the EU, we have time to worry about other items too. The UK is fixed to brexit only. 

But.. the financial institututions have more confidence in the Euro-Economy than in the British seen the foreign exchange rate. 3 May 2019: € 1,17, today : € 1,095. I would need a real NIGHTCAP if that was my case... 

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Just get your masters to get a deal offered, that the UK parliament can rubber stamp, and we can all get on with our lives - everybody happy.

The time the British could command any other country lies a LONG time behind us.

56 minutes ago, Lokie said:

I assure you, you know Sweet FA about us British, just like the little Corporal in WWII

Pity the British and French did not listen to a British economic advisor then in the beginning of the 1920's ,.... John Milton Keynes. 

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

On one thing we agree.

A divorce made in heaven.

How you in the EU can call the UK undemocratic shows why we should never have allowed ourselves to join the EU........ Peter Shore was right.

No.

It is enough now.
No more about how UK politicians are trying to profile themselves at the expense of the EU.

The UK is no longer an EU asset.
On the contrary.
A no longer sustainable burden for all.

The EU should stop all negotiations immediately, unless the formerly clear UK operation exists to pay its existing debt (39 billion).

No.
It is enough now.
No more about how UK politicians are trying to profile themselves at the expense of the EU.
The UK is no longer an EU asset.
On the contrary.
A no longer sustainable burden for all.
The EU should stop all negotiations immediately, unless the formerly clear UK operation exists to pay its existing debt (39 billion).

An asset? That says it all. The EU will have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. The goose will rise as a Phoenix.

The new bird owes the EU nowt. No need for any negotiations about your imaginary debt.

10 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Just a 10 weeks and we finally are released from the British, who still think they can control with a 67 mln the total EU with over 450 mln inhabitants. The time fo the British Raj is over.

Totally wrong again. The EU dominated by Germany and France rule the EU. The Dutch just roll over and take it. It is because of this domination the UK is leaving the EU.

10 hours ago, puipuitom said:

The exchange rate of the GBP went down again... 

You still don't get it. We know its going down and will until we leave the EU. Then watch out.

7 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

I confirm that we come here as at the show.
In my country no one is interested in Brexit.

Good for you and the way it should be. Maybe start telling that to the endless non Brits posting here, constantly trying to ridicule the history of the UK and telling us what a mistake we have made.

I appreciate your honesty, Its a shame others don't take your stance.

Archived