I have some question

1 year old forum thread said Poipet is risky now. Are there better borders not too far away from Pattaya?

I am getting tired of day long van rides and think I will prefer a plane from Utapao so that is another option. I have done UTP to Udon Thani before, Nong Khai is a good border. Something even closer to the airport would be interesting

Edited by Marrish
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Avoid poi pet completely. The u-tapao to udon would have been my suggestion.

You state over minibus etc 

Consider a big bus pattaya to trat. Maybe include a relax koh Chang if that suits. Flat straight road patts to tray.

even overnight at koh kong via Trat.

hated that border though, tea money demanded every time I went through there.

is the other one in chantaburi closed now ?

Edited by jastheace

24 minutes ago, jastheace said:

even overnight at koh kong via Trat.

hated that border though, tea money demanded every time I went through there.

is the other one in chantaburi closed now ?

Good advice. I have never done that border crossing as I'm on annual extensions. I suggested only as good excuse to spend time koh Chang. Can you add detail. What was the amount of extortion. Guess we can accept if suits end result. Never nice to get one up the ....

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good advice. I have never done that border crossing as I'm on annual extensions. I suggested only as good excuse to spend time koh Chang. Can you add detail. What was the amount of extortion. Guess we can accept if suits end result. Never nice to get one up the ....

me too on annual extensions, so got out of that rut. I forget amount but was high, 1000 B I think. taking the 'iss really. bus to trat on suks, van to border, goes past the pier for koh chang. do the border, kaoh kong (sic) was really a wild west town 10 yrs ago, very dark and just getting a few new hotels built. got a new road with bridges that goes to snooky and PP, so maybe built up now. good for trying the local beers for one night though. if budget could stretch defo recommend a few night in koh chang as you say.

They ask for 1500 baht for Cambodian Visa instead of $30usd. If you are persistent you can usually get $30. Just politely keep saying $30 USD and they give in after a while. Evisa is $36 and doesn't take a page in your passport. Saves all the stress but make sure you get the proper government site. Koh Kong is ok. The Tavern has nice farung food as does Fat Sam's. Both run by friendly UK guys. Lots of friendly expats. Cheap entertainment area.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

Is there a new problem with Poipet?  I've used this crossing many times and never had any serious problem.  Got scammed the usual 100 baht extra on the visa "processing" last time (August last year), which I paid just to avoid any delay on the crossing but they accepted the $30 for the visa.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, Marrish said:

I am getting tired of day long van rides

Not to mention the risk you run with these rides on the basis of the number of manically-driven vans I've regularly witnessed thundering their way along Highway 3 in my neck of the woods!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

Bangkok Air flies Swampy to Trat. Can get a car to the border.

A pity that there don't appear to be any direct flights between U-Tapao (as mentioned by the OP) and Trat, though - unless I've missed something in the Google search I've just conducted. But I suppose the OP could always go the pretty way from U-Tapao to Trat via BKK if he was desperate enough to minimise the perils of road travel on Highway 3!

Edited by OJAS

A pity that there don't appear to be any direct flights between U-Tapao (as mentioned by the OP) and Trat, though - unless I've missed something in the Google search I've just conducted. But I suppose the OP could always go the pretty way from U-Tapao to Trat via BKK if he was desperate enough to minimise the perils of road travel on Highway 3!
Unfortunately Bangkok Air own Trat airport and only fly from BKK.