BANGKOK
Brer

Being asked to produce your driving licence.

Posted (edited)

I have 10 years of driving experience in Thailand cities and country. In the past as a farang driving, in most police checkpoints I was usually just waved through and very very rarely I ever had to produce a driving licence.

Lately I find I am being stopped far more often and asked to produce a licence and I just hand over my Australian card which in most cases will suffice, now I find I am being asked for international more often. I do have an IDP and I have produced. It does make me laugh when they hold it upside staring at the Russian page though.

The thing is, is there now a deliberate targeting of farangs driving (under national security or some <deleted> just to hassle us) and I am not talking about driving around on a bike in Pattaya?

Edited by Brer
Put question mark
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

It’s been like in all my 13 years here.

Since the coup I noticed much less random checks on my trips from the boonies to Pattaya/Bangkok - and elsewhere around Thailand.

Maybe ‘democracy ‘ has it’s price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

since the election there is a feeling here in Hua Hin that the police are setting up more illegal roadblocks at night and shaking down Thai and Farang alike.

This. Our area of outer Bangkok is the same. It's like they're making up for lost time.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Since the coup I noticed much less random checks on my trips from the boonies to Pattaya/Bangkok

Me too. After the coup they dropped to almost nothing in Hua Hin but since the election it feels a little different now. at least in Hua Hin.

• Like 1

In Nonthaburi I've noticed no difference in almost 20 years. Been stopped once a few years ago at a U-turn under a bridge- trying to catch unsuspecting drunks from the local beer garden. He saw me, I have him a wai and he waved me on:) I like their reactive attitude to policing. Only seen them pulling over old trucks and overleaded pickups. 

• Like 2

My initial point was being asked to produce ID, as previously I found it rare to be asked to produce. If I was stopped it was where are going.

Definitely along the Mekong seems to be more checkpoints now, might be for yabba though.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

This.

Moved here 16 years ago.

First year i was here, got both my Thai driving licenses.

No officialdom like to see IDP's - so very touristy....

Not rocket science.

Yes cos they cant read Russian, isnt Thailand about Tourists though?

• Confused 1