Being asked to produce your driving licence.

Brer

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Why not get a Thai drivers license ?,nobody is targeting Farangs. 

Get a Thai driver license. They do target farangs on bikes. Just a matter of time before they do the same to vehicle drivers. You know its coming.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you had a driving license you don't have to compensate the victims?

Or where exactly is the difference in court and do you have any sources for it?

It's common knowledge here in Thailand, i.e. if you have an accident and injure or kill someone, you will have to compensate the injured or deceased's family. It's all negotiable, the cops do the negotiating, it's not written in the rule books, it's a way of life, failure to do so will render you in a lot of strife in Thailand.

Did you not read up recently were a drunk rich guy paid 45 million baht to a cops family because he killed the cop and his wife and seriously injured their 12 year old daughter, the court fined him some little amount and literally excused him because he coughed up the baht, it is what it is.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1660776/drunk-driver-kills-policeman-wife

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/35633/rich-drunk-driving-benz-businessman-buys-off-family-for-45-million-baht-in-death-of-cop-and-wife

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's common knowledge here in Thailand, i.e. if you have an accident and injure or kill someone, you will have to compensate the injured or deceased's family. It's all negotiable, the cops do the negotiating, it's not written in the rule books, it's a way of life, failure to do so will render you in a lot of strife in Thailand.

Yes, i know, of course you have to compensate the victim.

The user Beggar said that it makes a difference in court if the driver had a driving license or not, so i was asking him what exactly the difference is.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, i know, of course you have to compensate the victim.

The user Beggar said that it makes a difference in court if the driver had a driving license or not, so i was asking him what exactly the difference is.

I see, probably the fact that you have permission to use the roads, as opposed to not use the roads by not having a driver's licence. 

The above said, I don't think the courts give a rat$ a$$ whether you have a licence or not if there is compensation involved.

Everyone should have a valid licence, and I have 4x Thai* and 1x UK. I show whichever I feel like to get me through. I have experienced far fewer checkpoint stops in the past few years.

*Thought I had lost 2 so got 2 replacements, then found the ones I thought I had lost.

I break road laws every day, but only on local roads at low speeds. I hate getting caught, but I am overdue plenty of tea money handouts.

Have a licence to protect yourself. It's not hard, and you would have one in your own country.

It maybe that the cops have changed over. The others will recognise you to a certain degree and just wave you through if they recognise you and know you have a licence (in this case you don't!).

I find this happens sometimes with the younger cops- by the time I have my licence out one of the senior guys normally tells him to wave me through.

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:
13 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Just a matter of time before they do the same to vehicle drivers. You know its coming.

I don't know that it's coming. What evidence do you have of this?

Joined last Thursday and already in heavy deflection rotation.  Call me a dreamer, but I believe you have a great career on ThaiVisa ahead of you. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, LomSak27 said:

Joined last Thursday and already in heavy deflection rotation.  Call me a dreamer, but I believe you have a great career on ThaiVisa ahead of you. :biggrin:

Well, it's your post thats "heavy deflection rotation" whatever that is. I just asked a simple question, you refused to answer it and launched into a personal attack. Obviously a TVF stalwart.

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

In Thailand it is not unlawfull to drive without a licence if the conditions set out in section 57 of the motor vehicle act is adhered to.

In such circumstances would the mandatory insurance become invalid ?

Section 57 relates to learner drivers who are driving a vehicle while under instruction.

In such cases it is the instructor who is liable for damages or accidents. The mandatory insurance would not be invalidated.

16 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Section 57 relates to learner drivers who are driving a vehicle while under instruction.

In such cases it is the instructor who is liable for damages or accidents. The mandatory insurance would not be invalidated.

Thd road protection acft makes no such exclusion

The basic compensation  a.monts require no evidence of guilt

I'm on my third 5 year Thai license.

Last year turned out of a Hua Hin shopping centre onto the main road was stopped at police checkpoint and asked for license, Showed and waved on.

Made a U turn after 50 meters drove forward and was stopped at the police checkpoint opposite he first, Asked for license, showed, waved on. Drove forward and my phone rang. Pulled over safely on the side and wife asked me to buy her a grocery item. Cursed, drove forward took first U Turn and back to the shopping centre. Departed the shopping centre, stopped at first police checkpoint and asked by the same policeman for license. Showed, waved on. Made U-turn to right drove forward and saw the same policeman cross over into my carriageway and start checking the line. Asked for drivers license by the same policeman, showed and waved on.

Four checks in an elapsed time of under 12 minutes.

good 'ere innit?

1 minute ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Last year turned out of a Hua Hin shopping centre onto the main road was stopped at police checkpoint and asked for license, Showed and waved on.

Made a U turn after 50 meters drove forward and was stopped at the police checkpoint opposite he first, Asked for license, showed, waved on. Drove forward and my phone rang. Pulled over safely on the side and wife asked me to buy her a grocery item. Cursed, drove forward took first U Turn and back to the shopping centre. Departed the shopping centre, stopped at first police checkpoint and asked by the same policeman for license. Showed, waved on. Made U-turn to right drove forward and saw the same policeman cross over into my carriageway and start checking the line. Asked for drivers license by the same policeman, showed and waved on.

good 'ere innit?

Because we all look the same.

1 minute ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

good 'ere innit?

Perhaps they were wearing coooool shades they bought in BigC and could see sod all.....? ????.

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Indeed. Been here for 10 years? Might as well get the Thai license.

You can use it for all sorts of things .... ID at hotels, airports etc etc.

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

You live in Thailand for 10 years and don't have a Thai licence duh !!!!!

Since Thailand never ratified the current treaty re IDPs, only the one from the 1940s, your IDP is only valid for the first 3 months you are in Thailand, regardless of the expiry date printed on it.  Therefore, anyone driving without a Thai licence for 10 years has been driving illegally for 9 years 9 months.

Some insurance companies are on to this (it was an insurance company that pointed it out to me) and they can legally get out of paying out claims, if you don't have a Thai licence.

15 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Since Thailand never ratified the current treaty re IDPs, only the one from the 1940s, your IDP is only valid for the first 3 months you are in Thailand, regardless of the expiry date printed on it.  Therefore, anyone driving without a Thai licence for 10 years has been driving illegally for 9 years 9 months.

Some insurance companies are on to this (it was an insurance company that pointed it out to me) and they can legally get out of paying out claims, if you don't have a Thai licence.

In concur.

i posted this info a few days ago in another thread, so was not going to bother again. Yup, the police don’t give a damn, they just want to see something vaguely resembling a license, but an insurance company will compare your entry stamps against your license should you have a bump.

Not only that, but why wouldn’t you get a a license? why wouldn’t you register the vehicle in your name? - It wouldn’t rub in the UK, and you would be featured on some reality TV police, pictured as some dirty immigrant who can’t tow the line. 

I dont really see that it gives me any advantage, but I have been pulled every time I ride through Hua Hin, a roadblock outside the police station, “oh, five year license, no problem - carry on”

23 minutes ago, Arkady said:

There is no time limit for which an 1949 IDP (in conjunction with his home country license) can be used (except its expiry date), the maximum validity is 1 year, so it can be used for up to a year. He didn't say he stays in Thailand permanently since 10 years, just that he has 10 years driving experience here, so maybe he got a new one when he was back home every year, in this case he did everything legally.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

On a motorcycle I ALWAYS get stopped.. guaranteed.. once I was stopped 3 times in about 30 kms, on the third time I talked to one of the more senior officers, and the next two checkpoints, in about the next 30 km, I went through which has never happened to me before (did he radio ahead?).. I just use an International license, and am only in Thailand for a few months every year... quite frankly I am <deleted> off with Thailand, and yes, I now spend as little time as I can there, and only go because of friends I have made over the years... I was going to buy a bigger bike, nothing outrageous but not now...I hope their economy sinks.. they deserve it...

There's a lot more checkpoints on the main roads in my area but as there are very few westerners its all Thais getting pulled over. On motorbikes, they will check firstly for helmets, then license. In cars I don't really know as I am always waved straight through. They only seem to stop pick up trucks or souped up cars I assume looking for weapons or drugs.

Today I got stopped at a police check point at Chom Pra 25ks from Surin.

They told me to pull over.

They checked my license and passport.

Took a photo of every page in my passport and a photo of me.

Wanted my address and was I married?

He told my mother-in-law that they are checking all farang because a lot have no visa or passport.

Interesting.

Archived