Being asked to produce your driving licence.

Brer

This year the enforcement in Chiang Mai seems to be more rigorous especially on weekends there are sometimes two and three checkpoints along the moat or on one of the larger boulevards.

I've had a license for 3 years and I just show it and move on.

Sometimes they want to practice their English sometimes the whole team wants to practice their English if it's a slow day and it's fine cuz I'm never in a hurry.

I always have my helmet and gloves and riding jacket plus my license so I never have a problem.

Maybe about 50 times I've been stopped total in Thailand, and only one time the police officer was very rude to my girlfriend... and lucky for him he didn't know that she was a lieutenant colonel and she didn't push her rank.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drive from Pattaya to surin very often over the last ten years drive my own truck have a Thai license always stopped some times for tea money  keep two hundred baht and my license handy and sometimes just to look at my license one time stop six times on the way up but no tea money than time 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

There is no time limit for which an 1949 IDP (in conjunction with his home country license) can be used (except its expiry date), the maximum validity is 1 year, so it can be used for up to a year. He didn't say he stays in Thailand permanently since 10 years, just that he has 10 years driving experience here, so maybe he got a new one when he was back home every year, in this case he did everything legally.

I have renewed my IDP every year whilst back in Áustralia, over the last 10 years It was rare that my stays were over three months.

I was told by a senior police officer in Prathai police station that I was fine to drive on a IDP and if I had any problem with other police over it that I could ring him and he would vouch for me.

As mentioned before it’s probably time to obtain a Thai licence now I am here permanently.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Today I was stopped by BIB in CNX asked for licence and TM 30, lol.

And TM30, if they cannot get you one way they will get you another.

really nothing to do with Police,its an immigration thing.

regards Worgeordie

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

If you are not on a Tourist Visa or visa on arrival the fine for driving without a Thai drivers licence is now 500 Bht.

It is being enforced  now.

Go get one they are very cheap

Driving without a Thai licence if you don’t have an IDP is actually 2000baht, driving on an expired licence is a 1000baht fine that’s whats in the Thai Highway Code also a possibility of a stay in a monkey house. I have looked into just could not be bothered before because I believed I was legit.

5 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Get a Thai driver license. They do target farangs on bikes. Just a matter of time before they do the same to vehicle drivers. You know its coming.

The first 12 years here,never had a driving licence.nobody ever asked for it,

even insurance was not required, it's only when they started to do the road

blocks,I thought I better get one,should have done it at start as could have

gotten a lifetime license,instead of the 5 year one. 

Yes I get stopped sometimes,no problems,except one time,i dropped my wife 

off at the market and she carries my license,and i gave her the money to buy 

the stuff in the market,its very difficult to park there,so was driving around

then go back to pick her up, and just around the corner was a roadblock,

tried to explain my wife had license,the cop is having none of it,and takes

the 100 THB,which is all i had on me, one of the costs of living in Thailand.

regards worgeeordie

30 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Today I got flagged thru a check point behind two old grannies who got pulled over on thier scooter no helmet. Why is it always picking on faranges when they do stop Thais as well.

People say Thai police are picking on farangs, because when you observe the check points in tourist hotspots (for example Pattaya beach road or Chiang Mai outside Loi Kroh road), you will notice that checking farangs seems to be their top priority. This does of course not mean that they don't check Thais, but if a single police officer is looking for his next target at such a checkpoint, and he sees a foreigner with a helmet and a Thai without a helmet, it's nearly certain that he will stop the foreigner and will let the Thai go.

I get stopped quite often now but don't feel singled out at all. They stop a lot of Thais too and I see plenty of tickets written out too.

When I produce my Thai licence, without fail the policemen smile. Those that speak English do speak to me.

I'm sure that one nearly patted me on the helmet for being a good boy.

I don't mind being stopped as there are more than enough fools on the road and I like the police trying to do a good job.

1 hour ago, Brer said:

I have renewed my IDP every year whilst back in Áustralia, over the last 10 years It was rare that my stays were over three months.

I was told by a senior police officer in Prathai police station that I was fine to drive on a IDP and if I had any problem with other police over it that I could ring him and he would vouch for me.

As mentioned before it’s probably time to obtain a Thai licence now I am here permanently.

It seems that some countries offer at least 10 year IDPs. Not in NZ or Australia though.

It is just better having a local license it seems to me.

It works everywhere except at the banks. I can travel anywhere domestically without a passport.

7 hours ago, Beggar said:

It will make a big difference for instance if you hurt people and end up in court. 

Recently an European woman where I live was stopped at traffic lights and a 14 year old on a motorbike ran into the rear of her vehicle.

The police have considered it her fault and she will have to pay compensation. Her insurance company will cover her even though to the rest of the world it is bizarre behaviour.

The kid had no license, no helmet (which caused his injury), and of course no insurance. In any other country it would all be his own fault.

9 hours ago, Brer said:

Never felt the need too go through the letter of residence, medical certificate, hospital, copies of passport, visa, immigration, land office and whatever else, suppose I could pay someone 5k baht to do. 

No I will get off my <deleted> and do it as I am totally bored today thanks for promting me.

In other words, can't be bothered to do things the correct way. Yet can find time to make many excuses

Ever thought you're just the person they're targeting.  Probably with just cause.

49 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

It seems that some countries offer at least 10 year IDPs. Not in NZ or Australia though.

If you see an IDP which is valid for 10 years it's fake.

In general there are three different IDPs, from 1926, 1949 and 1968

I don't know the details of the 1926 IDP, i think in most countries it's not possible to get one issued anymore and i don't know if it would be valid in Thailand

A 1949 IDP is valid in Thailand and allows a maximum validity of one year.

A 1968 IDP is not valid in Thailand because Thailand never ratified this treaty, but it allows a maximum validity of three years.

8 minutes ago, alacrity said:

In other words, can't be bothered to do things the correct way. Yet can find time to make many excuses

Ever thought you're just the person they're targeting.  Probably with just cause.

Actually he did everything correctly. I also don't see how having a Thai license would make police not stop him anymore.

1 hour ago, alacrity said:

Looks like you don’t know what at this thread is about, nothing incorrect in having an IDP. 

I feel along with my Thai wife that there are now more road checks again and farangs are being targeted as previously I was frequently waved through with no need to stop and produce any documentation. 

So are you saying that there is a majority of farangs doing the wrong thing and the police have just cause?

By the way I said I was going to get off my deleted, my point is also there are many farangs in Pattaya who go to agents and pay a few thousand baht to get licences, I guess that could be construed as incorrect but then again a Thai obtaining a licence without even driving on the road seems even more incorrect. That’s Thailand.

Lots of info on here about it but your IDP after three continuous months in LOS is invalid (even though it is issued valid for 12 months in home country) Reason is it is for use of a Tourist - after three months in LOS you no longer classed as Tourist hence should get Thai Licences for both Bike and Car if you need to. Just a couple hours out of your day...

8 hours ago, legend49 said:

Today I was stopped by BIB in CNX asked for licence and TM 30, lol.

I call BS on this- the chance of a patrol cop on a check point knowing what a TM 30 is is slim to non.

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

Lots of info on here about it but your IDP after three continuous months in LOS is invalid (even though it is issued valid for 12 months in home country) Reason is it is for use of a Tourist - after three months in LOS you no longer classed as Tourist hence should get Thai Licences for both Bike and Car if you need to. Just a couple hours out of your day...

Such a law / rule does not exist in Thailand, this is something which somebody once made up and people keep believing it.

21 hours ago, Brer said:

Never felt the need too go through the letter of residence, medical certificate, hospital, copies of passport, visa, immigration, land office and whatever else, suppose I could pay someone 5k baht to do. 

No I will get off my <deleted> and do it as I am totally bored today thanks for promting me.

You still have to produce all that and turn up at the licensing centre for the tests and videos though. An agent just fills in the paperwork and walks you through the process. Don’t think it’s any quicker, just more expensive.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:22 PM, Brer said:

Lately I find I am being stopped far more often and asked to produce a licence

Yes, it is a very different place these days.

It's because of the idiots that come here now, child like people who have never grown up, thinking its a playground. You always had the occasional bad guy here but now they seem to be so many more.

I arrived here in 2002, back then the police would shut shop at midnight, yep you wouldn't see a cop till daylight.

I had a friend that fell off his motorbike because he was so drunk.... he was stopped at a traffic light. A policeman pulled up and helped him back on his bike and away he rode.

I think these checkpoints are a good thing, yes sometimes they do target the foreigners, but Thailand needs to cull, get rid of the bad guys, the idiots, the trouble makers so the we good foreigners can enjoy our stay in this beautiful country.

Just keep legal, it's not difficult, get the correct documents, it costs a little bit of money and some time.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:16 PM, NCC1701A said:

Me too. After the coup they dropped to almost nothing in Hua Hin but since the election it feels a little different now. at least in Hua Hin.

I don't agree. The once regular road blocks on Petch Road aren't in place any more when I use it in the mornings. And the occasional random blocks on Black Mountain Road and nighttime blocks by the train station also have not been there. 

I have never been shaken down though and I think they do like to chat in English once I wind down the tinted window they see I'm farang. 

2 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I don't agree. The once regular road blocks on Petch Road aren't in place any more when I use it in the mornings. And the occasional random blocks on Black Mountain Road and nighttime blocks by the train station also have not been there. 

sounds like you are in north HH. Very common to see road blocks at night on the cross soi between soi 94 and102. 

6 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I have never been shaken down though and I think they do like to chat in English once I wind down the tinted window they see I'm farang. 

i have. 5000 baht for the so called "police".

24 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I think they do like to chat

i was made to stand for two hours on the side of the road away from CCTV cameras until midnight. i did nothing wrong. i was told i would not survive the night in jail. so i had better come up with 20,000 baht. finally they let me get 5000 out of the ATM. They were shaking down Thai and farang alike.     

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

sounds like you are in north HH. Very common to see road blocks at night on the cross soi between soi 94 and102. 

i have. 5000 baht for the so called "police".

i was made to stand for two hours on the side of the road away from CCTV cameras until midnight. i did nothing wrong. i was told i would not survive the night in jail. so i had better come up with 20,000 baht. finally they let me get 5000 out of the ATM. They were shaking down Thai and farang alike.     

Yes I am north HH. To be asked for 20k you must have broken a reasonably important law? I admitting to having had 2 Chang one evening and parted with 300 Baht to go on my way. 2 years ago. I sorted that by myself, but do you not have the phone number of a lawyer or better a reasonably high up policeman? There's one hangs out often in Soi Bintabaht and Soi 80 smoking and drinking (off duty) you could certainly befriend. You'd possibly still have paid but could have saved two hours! ???? 

48 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Yes I am north HH. To be asked for 20k you must have broken a reasonably important law? I admitting to having had 2 Chang one evening and parted with 300 Baht to go on my way. 2 years ago. I sorted that by myself, but do you not have the phone number of a lawyer or better a reasonably high up policeman? There's one hangs out often in Soi Bintabaht and Soi 80 smoking and drinking (off duty) you could certainly befriend. You'd possibly still have paid but could have saved two hours! ???? 

i guess i should get a lawyers number. i did not break any laws. this was a very difficult experience and i was told flat out i was going to die if i went to jail so i had better get the money. being detained for two hours on a dark road with no buildings around or CCTV cameras or witnesses who might be making a video is very scary when you live alone in Thailand.   

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i guess i should get a lawyers number. i did not break any laws. this was a very difficult experience and i was told flat out i was going to die if i went to jail so i had better get the money. being detained for two hours on a dark road with no buildings around or CCTV cameras or witnesses who might be making a video is very scary when you live alone in Thailand.   

A shocking story. I have a dashcam  which also still works for around one minute after being taken off its magnetic mount. It will transmit 10 second video clips direct to my phone on pressing a button too. You need to protect yourself even though I've found little to scare me personally yet. 

On 8/19/2019 at 10:22 PM, Brer said:

I have 10 years of driving experience in Thailand cities and country. In the past as a farang driving, in most police checkpoints I was usually just waved through and very very rarely I ever had to produce a driving licence.

Lately I find I am being stopped far more often and asked to produce a licence

When driving up to the checkpoint do you wind down the front passenger windows, as a courtesy, so the police can see into your car. 

On 8/19/2019 at 11:22 AM, Brer said:

The thing is, is there now a deliberate targeting of farangs driving (under national security or some <deleted> just to hassle us) and I am not talking about driving around on a bike in Pattaya?

Yep!   You are right...it's a constant shake down to be here.  No other way around it.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

When driving up to the checkpoint do you wind down the front passenger windows, as a courtesy, so the police can see into your car. 

My window is down and I approach with a smile on my face and a sawadee kap. I also take my sunnies off and turn any music down.

Some police are quite nice about it and salute you as they hand you back your documentation and wave you through, I always thank them.

Some are the total opposite I still say thank you.

I do a lot of driving as Nong Khai is almost 90kms away whereas Bueng Kan is over 50kms away and hardly a decent supermarket before them. I also like a few road trips too. I still feel I encounter more checkpoints now then before.

Archived