Being asked to produce your driving licence.

Brer

7 hours ago, VYCM said:

Yes, it is a very different place these days.

It's because of the idiots that come here now, child like people who have never grown up, thinking its a playground. You always had the occasional bad guy here but now they seem to be so many more.

I arrived here in 2002, back then the police would shut shop at midnight, yep you wouldn't see a cop till daylight.

I had a friend that fell off his motorbike because he was so drunk.... he was stopped at a traffic light. A policeman pulled up and helped him back on his bike and away he rode.

I think these checkpoints are a good thing, yes sometimes they do target the foreigners, but Thailand needs to cull, get rid of the bad guys, the idiots, the trouble makers so the we good foreigners can enjoy our stay in this beautiful country.

Just keep legal, it's not difficult, get the correct documents, it costs a little bit of money and some time.

how long you have lived here and haven't figured out what the stops are really about?  

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Brer said:

I do a lot of driving as Nong Khai is almost 90kms away whereas Bueng Kan is over 50kms away and hardly a decent supermarket before them. I also like a few road trips too. I still feel I encounter more checkpoints now then before.

I visit Nong Khai fairly regularly (off back in October for Wan Auk Pensa). Always seems to be more and more checkpoints the nearer I get to Nong Khai. One of the 4 times that I have been stopped in Thailand was on the highway between Udon and Nong Kai. Speeding. It was a fair cop govenor. Not a problem though, had a bit of craic with the cop and 400 baht fine reduced to 100 for cash. Cops are lovely guys up there.

You must live near where I'm staying, Phon Phsai. Staying at the Raja hotel for the first time. Any info? Would like to know where I can get a decent breakfast in Phon Phsai too.

18 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You must live near where I'm staying, Phon Phsai. Staying at the Raja hotel for the first time. Any info? Would like to know where I can get a decent breakfast in Phon Phsai too.

Phon Phisai is still a fair bit away, have not spent a great deal of time there, there is a place down by the river where I have seen a couple of farangs hang out, think it’s soi 5 or 6 on the riverfront when I have ventured there for a riverside walk.

Farang breakfasts are available in Pak Khat about a 40 minute drive to the Le Dragon Bleu restaurant now on the riverfront or Mr House a farang resort that serves meals all day.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Post an official source (law, ministerial or police order), which says there is a 60 or 90 day (or similar) limit

Can't find one?

Do you know the definition of a Tourist? The IDP covers Tourists with their own country drivers licence so after three months of continuous stay in the Kingdom you are then Not a tourist (on Holiday/vacation) as said use the search bar and educate yourself then you may work out why you need a Thai licence after three months of Continuous stay (I'v underlined to help you a little)

Dont post BS then ask others to prove otherwise - You show the facts if you believe they are wrong but I wont hold my breath as you are on a Loser my friend...

If the OP is living here not as a tourist then he would be wise (as he said he intends to) to get his Thai licence/s thats the point

23 hours ago, jackdd said:
On 8/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, Lokie said:

Lots of info on here about it but your IDP after three continuous months in LOS is invalid (even though it is issued valid for 12 months in home country) Reason is it is for use of a Tourist - after three months in LOS you no longer classed as Tourist hence should get Thai Licences for both Bike and Car if you need to. Just a couple hours out of your day...

Such a law / rule does not exist in Thailand, this is something which somebody once made up and people keep believing it.

I agree, there may not be such a law in existence. But there exists a grey area where you may or may not be insured based on the validity of your driving license. 

I personally would never allow myself to fall within this grey area and thus, as I am a year long resident and not a temporary tourist I ensure I have a Thai Driving Licence. 

Anyone would be rather foolish to leave any potential driving related issue in a 'grey area' whereby they may not be insured or worse, potentially considered driving illegally based on their length of stay when doing things the right way and obtaining a driving licence is so very easy. 

37 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Do you know the definition of a Tourist? The IDP covers Tourists with their own country drivers licence so after three months of continuous stay in the Kingdom you are then Not a tourist (on Holiday/vacation) as said use the search bar and educate yourself then you may work out why you need a Thai licence after three months of Continuous stay (I'v underlined to help you a little)

Dont post BS then ask others to prove otherwise - You show the facts if you believe they are wrong but I wont hold my breath as you are on a Loser my friend...

If the OP is living here not as a tourist then he would be wise (as he said he intends to) to get his Thai licence/s thats the point

Your understanding of the IDP is just wrong. Thailand's law regarding the IDP doesn't even mention the word "tourist" and i think the treaty does neither. So whatever your imaginary definition of tourist is, is just not relevant.

Here all laws and regulations regarding the IDP in Thailand, as you can see no mention of any 90 day limit:

As we can see, you are wrong. According to the law, foreigners who are in Thailand temporarily (this means anybody who doesn't have permanent residency status), can use an IDP without any further time constraint (it would not be allowed to be used for more than a year, but that's the maximum validity anyway, so then you need to go back home and get a new one, which also resets the one year)

On 8/19/2019 at 10:48 PM, NCC1701A said:

the reason they want to see a drivers license is because if you don't have one they will fine you.

on my scooter i get stopped at check points in town. no license? baht please. it has been that way for six years.

since the election there is a feeling here in Hua Hin that the police are setting up more illegal roadblocks at night and shaking down Thai and Farang alike.

be happy the police normally only mess with you when you are in the wrong.

but that is not always the case.

???? didn't know you needed a D L for a scooter. whatever next :coffee1: 998845199_images(13).jpg.82f7c7778ba2f9a3bead10873cdfdc4f.jpg

Not having a DL after such a long time just shows what an intelligent person you really are.

I had one when I was still on holiday a couple of times per year. 

If there's an accident, you'll find out the hard way what I mean. 

The law says if you don’t have a Thai license you are required to present an International drivers license( actually a translation of your home license info) and the drivers license from your country or they can give you a ticket. 

I think you only have 90 days after you take up residence here before you have to get a Thai license but that’s rarely enforced. 

If you live here why don’t you just get a Thai drivers license? It is cheap and simple. You just show them a copy of yours take an eye test color test reaction test and pay a small fee

13 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

The law says if you don’t have a Thai license you are required to present an International drivers license( actually a translation of your home license info) and the drivers license from your country or they can give you a ticket. 

I think you only have 90 days after you take up residence here before you have to get a Thai license but that’s rarely enforced. 

If you live here why don’t you just get a Thai drivers license? It is cheap and simple. You just show them a copy of yours take an eye test color test reaction test and pay a small fee

"The law says if you don’t have a Thai license you are required to present an International drivers license( actually a translation of your home license info) and the drivers license from your country or they can give you a ticket. "

Looking forward to you showing us that law.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, losworld said:
On 8/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, VYCM said:

Yes, it is a very different place these days.

It's because of the idiots that come here now, child like people who have never grown up, thinking its a playground. You always had the occasional bad guy here but now they seem to be so many more.

I arrived here in 2002, back then the police would shut shop at midnight, yep you wouldn't see a cop till daylight.

I had a friend that fell off his motorbike because he was so drunk.... he was stopped at a traffic light. A policeman pulled up and helped him back on his bike and away he rode.

I think these checkpoints are a good thing, yes sometimes they do target the foreigners, but Thailand needs to cull, get rid of the bad guys, the idiots, the trouble makers so the we good foreigners can enjoy our stay in this beautiful country.

Just keep legal, it's not difficult, get the correct documents, it costs a little bit of money and some time.

how long you have lived here and haven't figured out what the stops are really about? 

I'm right on target, the stops are getting rid of the bad guys.

Repeat offenders are getting deported, Immigration are getting involved.

What are your thoughts on "what the stops are really about", do tell.

Archived