I Am Living the Life in Thailand

NCC1701A

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I love Thailand, as I accept it for what it is and made the adjustments. What I like the most is, my son is able to go to Chiang Mai University and obtain a Bachelor Degree and the entire 4 year cost is only $18,000 compared to $200,000 in the USA. You can't beat that. We have kick-ass internet, weather overall is good, great food and a nice easy going life. No stress. If I had to pick one thing that might suck and that would be some of the immigration rules. I have adjusted and now I am within their requirements and my son is on a 4 year education visa. So all is fine. 

yup, he will certainly go far with that chiang mai university bachelors degree

19 hours ago, madmen said:

Love it and EXTREMELY happy the low class desperately poor farang are being pushed in to Cambodia. At least from now on if a farang engages in conversation it won't be begging for 500 baht :-))))

honestly it would be nicer if the "exalted farang on their high horse" relocated. in cambodia or myanmar they could feel even more important.

54 minutes ago, atyclb said:

honestly it would be nicer if the "exalted farang on their high horse" relocated. in cambodia or myanmar they could feel even more important.

You can take a horse to water...... ????

So how's the bad back from a few months back ? you seem to have gotten over that hurdle and banging away as usual, good man.

I am also living the dream, I have a lovely woman, she looks after me 24/7 and has done for the last 8 years, so we're both lucky buggers eh ???? 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Plenty of my friends are in mutually respectful relationships with women of equal 'socio-economic-educational' status and living lives not to dissimilar to that which they'd live in their home countries... 

My sincere sympathies go out to them.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

why is living in a country where there is an ever ready supply of financially in need women (or men in fairness to gays) available for a fee? diminishing returns in this and many regards.  theres lots of decent food, internet is fast, electricity usually works.

normally the girly stuff get old and 17th century style feudal patronage society itself is uninteresting but it compliments the 17th century education nicely.

Not one mention of "women" (needy or otherwise) or "girly stuff" in the OP.

Seems you have revealed your own Rorschach test.

1 hour ago, timendres said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Plenty of my friends are in mutually respectful relationships with women of equal 'socio-economic-educational' status and living lives not to dissimilar to that which they'd live in their home countries... 

My sincere sympathies go out to them.

Had to chuckle at that one....   

But also quite sad that some can't live an enjoyable life in their home countries... it may well be the same type of person who brings their misgivings to Thailand and struggles.

Life for me would be amazing in the UK, its also great in Thailand. 

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here. I could very much enjoy my life back home, although it would be quite different. But I love living here and it is my first choice. I can imagine many places where I would enjoy life. Never enough time...

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think life is absolutely fabulous, the alternative is far worse. I love being home in the US (except this summer, which totally sucked thanks in part to the booming economy) and I love to be in Thailand, and am looking forward to arriving 9:45PM on 8/22 at Swampy if anyone wishes to pick me up at the airport, gratis. ????

And when I move into my crib, Ill take a nice fun ride out to CW and file my TM 30 or whatever they want, hopefully get some tasty chicken, maybe go have a beer, roll back into town, walk around, take some pictures, eat some sausage, then watch footie on the telly, go to a Wat because a Wat a day makes boredom go away, get a body scrub, go to a museaum, roll over to wat arun and macro everything, take the train down to Hua Hin or Ayyuthaya or do monkey madness in Lopburi, and before I go have a nice American brekkie at the hole in the wall I go to across from Hua Lamphong, then maybe go to Fortune town and look at electronics I dont need, then maybe Hot Pot or a Seafood Bucket, then lay by the pool and take a nap, have some leftover Khao Ka Moo, wander Yaowarat with a camera and eat sweets, then ride the boat up to Nothanburi and back, or train down to Pak Nam for some seafood lunch, or go over to the Lung, then maybe Buriram United or Port.......

Thats the life!

14 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Funny story but I used  Turkish Airlines coming out last week, Business  Class and the twits forgot to serve me a breakfast then kept removing my drinks  that were 3/4  full , 3  bloody  times, I had to tell them in the end, when its empty you take it.

Food  in their  new Lounges and the  lounge itself at Istanbul is  very nice though, just onboard  staff were <deleted>.

English summers..............much  like English winters and maybe  a  few  degrees  warmer,  dull  cloudy and the  biggest reason I left the UK, when I can finally  kill  off my 92 year old Mother my annual trips  will cease, this time I'm going to hacksaw through the brake pipes on her car....yes she  still drives!

Is she giving you a ride to the airport?

I am quite happy for now living a life away from Thailand.A nice break.

Climate/weather fine, food good, beer and wine good. Roads good, pavements good.

People nice.

Back in Thailand in a couple of months. Miss friends made there over many a year. Not much else I miss really.

At least I have options.

In America I'm considered poor. In Thailand you can pretend that you are not poor. At home I would never have the following:

--A one-bedroom ocean-view condo with a very nice pool.

--My personal driver. (OK, he's a taxi driver's son but he will wait hours for me at the hospital or Tukcom, then stop off at a Thai market or 7-Eleven on the way back and help me carry things to my room.)

--A body servant, like the Roman emperors. (Clarification: a pretty lady who visits every five days (sometimes bringing gifts of fruit) to shower me and tend (a tedious process) my wounds, then mop and tidy up, all for $15. That alone in a month would run more than my entire SS check in the USA.)

--Four other far too lovely Thai girls who watch out for me and offer time, effort, care, and even money if needed. (They know of each other and some have met.)

--A landlady who sometimes makes ME happy when I pay the rent.

--The freedom of not owning a car (payments, depreciation, insurance, taxes, fees, maintenance, repairs, fuel, parking) without having to live in a city you can't afford in order to do so.

--Freedom of choice. Just having the choice to go out and get up to no good makes it liberating even if you stay home and fall asleep early.

13 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

In America I'm considered poor. In Thailand you can pretend that you are not poor. At home I would never have the following:

--My personal driver. (OK, he's a taxi driver's son but he will wait hours for me at the hospital or Tukcom, then stop off at a Thai market or 7-Eleven on the way back and help me carry things to my room.)

--A body servant, like the Roman emperors. (Clarification: a pretty lady who visits every five days (sometimes bringing gifts of fruit) to shower me and tend (a tedious process) my wounds, then mop and tidy up, all for $15. That alone in a month would run more than my entire SS check in the USA.)

--Four other far too lovely Thai girls who watch out for me and offer time, effort, care, and even money if needed. (They know of each other and some have met.)

--The freedom of not owning a car (payments, depreciation, insurance, taxes, fees, maintenance, repairs, fuel, parking) without having to live in a city you can't afford in order to do so.

--Freedom of choice. Just having the choice to go out and get up to no good makes it liberating even if you stay home and fall asleep early.

Sounds great.  Where did you find all of the baht for your retirement visa?

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Man, this sounds like a testimonial from "A satisfied customer" on one of those dodgy Retire Abroad on $1 a day websites.

But, every now and then, somebody comes a long and re-calibrates the narrative, and I think, hellz yeah, sounds great, go for it!  Glad you're comfortable and enjoying your final days hurtling and spinning through space on this rock.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Doin' it right.  Simple life, and you are not a whiner......  good job.

ConstantAdorableHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

37 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Doin' it right.  Simple life, and you are not a whiner......  good job.

ConstantAdorableHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

He might not be a whiner, but he most certainly is a winer! Preferable dry white I hear!

14 hours ago, Traubert said:
15 hours ago, atyclb said:

You can take a horse to water...... ????

my take on things is thailand is simply not an elite-hi-so country. no matter how many shopping malls they build or technology they import it is a feudal patronage dysfunctional peasant society. there is nothing wrong with expats not living at a so called high standard as perceived by fellow expats. reality is one can rent a room at a mansion for 3,000 baht a month and eat decent food economically. can live fine for well under 65,000 / month.  simple reality is thai society does not attract nobel prize winners.  ther's all levels of nightlife available also, from cheap open air beer bars to pricy discos so it's rather silly to call others "riff raff" in this regard.

20 hours ago, timendres said:
22 hours ago, atyclb said:

why is living in a country where there is an ever ready supply of financially in need women (or men in fairness to gays) available for a fee? diminishing returns in this and many regards.  theres lots of decent food, internet is fast, electricity usually works.

normally the girly stuff get old and 17th century style feudal patronage society itself is uninteresting but it compliments the 17th century education nicely.

Not one mention of "women" (needy or otherwise) or "girly stuff" in the OP.

Seems you have revealed your own Rorschach test.

precisely not, already gleaned from prior posts.

22 hours ago, atyclb said:

Yes.

The insecurity and need to feel important by many here is odd.

The "we use to be the king" comments...

Sorry, your $1,000 a month pension means much of nothing here anymore.

I agree, 3rd world Cambodia or Myanmar may be good choices for those in need of some boot licking.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
On 8/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, atyclb said:

Yes.

The insecurity and need to feel important by many here is odd.

The "we use to be the king" comments...

Sorry, your $1,000 a month pension means much of nothing here anymore.

I agree, 3rd world Cambodia or Myanmar may be good choices for those in need of some boot licking.

all the expats paid their dues before coming to thailand so why should any of them discriminated against because some may have less money?

Archived