Lawnmower purchase

james.d

I need to buy a lawnmower and a hedge trimmer and looking for advice please. (I have read the other threads on this topic but they are closed for further posts or for vast lawn size)

We have a small lawned area of about 170m square.

I would prefer an electric lawn mower if possible with a grass catcher.

Not a huge machine also as storage is a bit tight.

Also, are the electric hedge trimmers worth the cost?

I have seen some on home pro and lazada and wonder if anyone has bought one recently.  I budgeted around 4,000 Thb.

Any recommendations greatly received.

Many thanks.

I have had both electric and petrol in the past, admittedly for a longer garden and realised that the electric cable is very prone to problems.

If you start extending it into further extension cables the resistance or current gets so low the machine stops working.

Accidentally slicing your cables can happen as can abrasion dragging the cable over a rough surface.

I had a small 1.5hp briggs and stratton for years, like a tank, used an egg cup of petrol, very convenient. If I bought a petrol today i would get a Honda no question.

Hedgetrimmer, did you check the cordless ones, even more likely to slice a cable doing a hedge.

38 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I have had both electric and petrol in the past, admittedly for a longer garden and realised that the electric cable is very prone to problems.

If you start extending it into further extension cables the resistance or current gets so low the machine stops working.

Accidentally slicing your cables can happen as can abrasion dragging the cable over a rough surface.

I had a small 1.5hp briggs and stratton for years, like a tank, used an egg cup of petrol, very convenient. If I bought a petrol today i would get a Honda no question.

Hedgetrimmer, did you check the cordless ones, even more likely to slice a cable doing a hedge.

Thanks eye catcher, I have less than 100m square, my guesstimate of 170 was way off.

Apologies.

2 hours ago, james.d said:

All depends on what you have to cut. I bought an electric as I only have a small hedge but it didn't last long. It was a Makita if I recall correctly.

So I bought a 2 stroke petrol one from Lazada TH and only wish I'd bought it in the first case. I highly recommend this.     Kanto KT-TRIM  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kanto-kt-trim-22-i6311052-s7864424.html?ef_id=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtscbLFMj5PoU2bfpFZUQEQeTX4kts3E7fsn-3-RoMRsw42qP7Mu8ABoCx-gQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!296030489971!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-296030489971!c!296030489971!7864424!120278819&gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtscbLFMj5PoU2bfpFZUQEQeTX4kts3E7fsn-3-RoMRsw42qP7Mu8ABoCx-gQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

This.

16 years of gardening here (i hate gardening), the electric implements have long gone to the scrapyard in the sky.

Buy once, buy petrol.

The difference between an electric hedge cutter and a 2 stroke hedge cutter is staggering.

25 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

All depends on what you have to cut. I bought an electric as I only have a small hedge but it didn't last long. It was a Makita if I recall correctly.

So I bought a 2 stroke petrol one from Lazada TH and only wish I'd bought it in the first case. I highly recommend this.     Kanto KT-TRIM 

Thank lvor, 

I found one on lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hedge-trimmer-2-085-i245580560-s378113782.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.5718767dMv2qgC&search=1

I have about 14m of waist high hedge and 18m of 10ft hedge so not sure if its overkill.

Quick question also, I am left handed so does that make a difference with the grip do you know?

16 minutes ago, james.d said:

Quick question also, I am left handed so does that make a difference with the grip do you know?

The throttle handle is adjustable and I'm sure left handers were taken into concideration. In fact thinking about it I use either hand depending on direction of cutting. Word of caution. It's somewhat heavier than a pussy electric one.

Try that Ruangsangthai store in Buriram, one of the expats who works there has helped me and some other friends with lawnmowers in the past. I believe they sell from reel cylinder, electric, self propelled and even riding lawnmowers not only in Buriram but also outside as well. 

IMG_8634.JPG

2 minutes ago, LM405 said:

one of the expats who works there has helped me

He posts on this forum, Kalamazu Bob(?), and I believe he is family of the owners of the store. Lawnmowers like most things here are price fixed and you're just as well buy from your local tool/builders supplier. Just find out the model you want and place your order.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Something like this would do and definitely consider the cordless hedge trimmer but don't buy cheap...

images (5).jpeg

Now we are going down memory lane...

I think we all tried to push one of these in the 70s and realised thats not the future.

56 minutes ago, james.d said:

Thank lvor, 

I found one on lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hedge-trimmer-2-085-i245580560-s378113782.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.5718767dMv2qgC&search=1

I have about 14m of waist high hedge and 18m of 10ft hedge so not sure if its overkill.

I can write chapter and verse on the problems of diy if you are a lefty.

Pull cords on mowers, strimmers on the bloody right!

I've bought my share of corded and battery hedge trimmers in Buriram Thailand. The Makita 36 volt hedge trimmer has served my Thai wife better than the previous corded Makita hedge cutter and the under powered 18 volt Hitachi hedge trimmer. My wife is comfortable with a petrol self propelled lawn mower, yet she was not game for a Hitachi or Makita petrol hedge trimmer.  The actual warranty repair service, after warranty period repairs and spare parts help me decide where to spend money in Thailand on any power tool, water pump gardening or electronic product. 

Hitachi Makita battery and corded Hedge trimmer Thailand.jpg

akita Cordless Garden Hedge Trimmer Thailand.jpg

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Something like this would do and definitely consider the cordless hedge trimmer but don't buy cheap...

images (5).jpeg

Thanks, I checked locally for this type but could only see Husqavarna similar for 5000 Thb. I will cast my net larger tomorrow.

For a small yard, electric mowers are the way to go IMO.  The catch bag isn't very big so fills fast.  And you don't want to cut when overgrown - electrics don't handle that very well.

RE electric hedge cutter:  I'm fine with the one I have.  But, my wife won't touch it - prefers the manual cutter (that needs to be a good one).

I have owned an electric lawnmower for more than 1 year...grass grows fast here...cut often.

3 Things

1- Where the electric cord connects to the mower can be a problem...best to either hold the cord with your hand or securely fasten a portion of the cord to the handle...so that if you extend your mowing to the end of the electrical cord...this does not break the connector at the mower handle...

2- Battery...weak...do not cut grass close to the ground...leave some space for mower to discharge grass into bag or yard...battery can get hot and stop...can not restart mower...

3- Bagging grass...battery weak again...overheats...dump grass collected in bag very often...

I no longer use the bagger...cut grass on one of the higher levels...have rigged the bag discharge area to remain open a bit to allow the cut grass more chances to get out from under mower so battery does not overheat...and stop!

Hope this helps...????

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 3:07 AM, james.d said:

The electric hedge trimmer is a powerful and reliable tool which provides very good service for trimming hedges, shrubs and bushes. Its counter-rotating, double-bladed safety cutters of laser-cut and diamond cutted steel achieve good cutting results. I've been using hedge trimmer, which i bought on amazon for my hedge for almost a year now, and I'm really really happy with it.

The OP can in fact buy a quality Makita corded electric lawn mower in a smaller cutting size if he shops around for under 5000 baht. It will not be self propelled in that price range. I suggest he not waste his money on other brands of electric corded lawn mowers. I have owned several. Corded hedge trimmers from Makita are worth him seeing in person. There are several blade sizes and with different wattage of electric motor in Makita brand electric hedge trimmers sold in Thailand. They are not expensive. For double the money and more, anyone with hedges in Thailand might consider the Makita 18 volt or better yet the 36 volt hedge trimmers. 

The OP can check the specs and prices on Makita lawn mower models I know for a fact are available today in September 2019 in Thailand for retail sale.  The corded Makita ELM3320  or ELM3711 or Makita ELM3720 are easy to buy and have shipped to your home or picked up at a motivated authorized Makita dealer in Thailand. The Makita DLM460 is the best Lithium Battery lawn mower available today in Thailand in my opinion. I am very familiar with all types of lawn mowers including ride on lawn mowers and zero turn lawn mowers sold and repaired in Thailand. Once a week I wear a red shirt that says Troy Bilt, once a week Kohler, once a week Makita, once a week Honda lawn mower shirt. To be very clear prices are not set on lawn mowers in Thailand. While the big box chain stores might seem to have similar prices you can buy name brand lawn mowers, with after the sales service (not ship to Bangkok and wait two months) from several family owned lawn mower builder merchant stores. Prices are not set on Makita petrol hedge trimmers, nor any Makita tool in Thailand.  Bob in Buriram 

Thailand Troy Bilt 24hp 54 inch ride on lawn mower sales English.jpg

Thailand Ride on Zero Turn lawn mower salesman Mr Bob.jpg

Thailand Troy Bilt Lawn Tractor Repair sales.jpg

Thailand Petrol Makita Hedge Trimmer Delivery.jpg

5 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

To be very clear prices are not set on lawn mowers in Thailand.

You surprise me as a Honda Power driven lawnmower would have cost me the same from your store as it did from my local builders supplies. Hunting around they all appeared to be the same. So I'm confused.

Archived