Cambodia, Thailand to strengthen tourism ties

geovalin

The 5th Cambodia-Thailand Tourism Technical Working Group Meeting concluded yesterday with the countries pledging to strengthen cooperation to attract more tourists.

During the meeting, held in Thailand’s Trat province over three days, the two countries agreed to work together to facilitate tourist travel, particularly by promoting the Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (ACMECS) Single Visa scheme.

The visa programme would allow people from third nations to travel to Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam with a single visa.

Thong Rathsak, director-general of tourism development and international cooperation at the Ministry of Tourism, told Khmer Times yesterday that Cambodia and Thailand are working to expand the ACMECS Single Visa scheme to all five countries. “[At the meeting,] Cambodia and Thailand agreed to keep the ACMECS single visa programme online. We hope that in the next 10 to 20 years, the scheme can be expanded to include also Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam,” Mr Rathsak said.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50635088/cambodia-thailand-to-strengthen-tourism-ties/

"Cambodia and Thailand agreed to keep the ACMECS single visa programme online. We hope that in the next 10 to 20 years, the scheme can be expanded to include also Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam"

Finally, someone came up with a realistic timeframe. I'm looking forward to getting such a combined visa in 20 years time.

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Just a question that I really would like an answer on.

Is there already a direct train between Bangkok and Pnom Penh, or may cross the border by train?

Unfortunately "no". Trains from Bangkok still terminate at Aranyaphratet on the border. New track crosses to a renovated Poipet station where a local service operated by Royal Railways runs on modernized track to Sisophon, the next city along the line. There is a sparse new service to Battambang and Phnom Penh (see timetable). 

TRAINS1M2-Royal-Railway-Cambodia-Network-Full-20190801.png?ssl=1

Royal-Railway-Phnom-Penh-Poipet-Line-Timetable-Phnom-Penh-Poipet-20190712.png?ssl=1

On 8/20/2019 at 2:00 PM, hansnl said:

Just a question that I really would like an answer on.

Is there already a direct train between Bangkok and Pnom Penh, or may cross the border by train?

The lines are processing. There will be a train  from Bkk to Phom Penn like there used to be be for the Cambodian war. The railway lines were bombed by the Americans. The Train at the moment stops at the border Aran. But while you require a visa I will not be going their. They have now seen the folly of increasing the price of going into the temple.

Archived