Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

1pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Thailand's ban on smoking at home comes into law today. People can be prosecuted for domestic abuse by lighting up. 

Women and children are said to be the recipients of most second hand smoke and from today onward can be considered victims in Thailand. 

There is a hotline number in every province to call to report violations.

Speaking to Manager Dr Ronachai Khongsakon of a tobacco research group said that women were particularly vulnerable with 81% suffering second hand smoke at home. 

He claimed that 430,000 people die worldwide annually from second hand smoke and two out of three are women.

Thailand's new law aims to stop smoking in homes 100%.

People can call Family and Protection centers on 1300 to report abuse. Cases may then be referred to juvenile and other courts.

The move is the latest in a long line of measures to stop people smoking in Thailand especially in public places, notes Thaivisa. 

It is now illegal to smoke within 5 meters of an entrance to a property with 5,000 baht fines for violations. 

Smoking has been banned at airports with special rooms outside terminals for those that smoke. 

A beach ban with the possibility of a jail term came in in February 2018. 

There are thought to be 10 million smokers in Thailand with around 72,000 deaths annually. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-20

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand's ban on smoking at home comes into law today. People can be prosecuted for domestic abuse by lighting up. 

I bet theyll be  more prosecuted for beating their wives when the  Wife mentions  it  to them  though

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

He claimed that 430,000 people die worldwide annually from second hand smoke

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

in Thailand with around 72,000 deaths annually

Here we go, maths again. These figures mean that 16% of the worldwide deaths are in Thailand. I think not.

"People can call Family and Protection centers on 1300 to report abuse."

There better be a lot of "protection". If Mrs. Somchai rats out her husband, his smoking will be the least of her problems. Especially since whenever he smokes, he is a violent drunk.

Wow!

I don't smoke but what an adult does in their own home should be their business....No?

Also I have to admit I smile a little thinking of all the folks who always say....I would never go back to my country...They are a Nanny State

Yet Thailand now with laws like these & the infamous TM30 555 ????

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

It is now illegal to smoke within 5 meters of an entrance to a property with 5,000 baht fines for violations. 

In many places in the city this means smokers have to stand in the middle of the street

10 minutes ago, mania said:

Wow!

I don't smoke but what an adult does in their own home should be their business....No?

Also I have to admit I smile a little thinking of all the folks who always say....I would never go back to my country...They are a Nanny State

Yet Thailand now with laws like these & the infamous TM30 555 ????

The main difference is that in our home countries the police enforce the laws, not just prance around on TV trying to sound authoritative with their fake medals glistening like they do here.

However, I agree that this is ridiculous. I don't smoke anymore, but if I did I certainly wouldn't stop smoking in my own home due to this stupid law. 

19 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Here we go, maths again. These figures mean that 16% of the worldwide deaths are in Thailand. I think not.

Read the article again.

430,000 people die annually in the world from second hand smoke.

Of Thailand's 10,000,000 smokers 72,000 die as a direct result of that smoking.

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Read the article again.

430,000 people die annually in the world from second hand smoke.

Of Thailand's 10,000,000 smokers 72,000 die as a direct result of that smoking.

Yes, you're right. My reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. 

21 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I'm ok with that as long as they don't ban farting. 

I remember British comedian Jasper Carrot years ago saying when anyone asked rhetorically, "Do you mind if I smoke?" Carrot replied, "No, do you mind if I fart?"

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

However, I agree that this is ridiculous. I don't smoke anymore, but if I did I certainly wouldn't stop smoking in my own home due to this stupid law. 

Yeah that is kinda the weirdest part plus The dial 1300 & call big brother to report it

I wonder if there will eventually be commissions like they now offer for bikes on footpaths etc

37 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I dont need to stop my wife says the smell of sa moke turns her on

In our household it's the wife that does the smoking. There's no smoke though. And take a wild guess if I'm gonna call the smokebusters.

EDIT: Oh <deleted>. I just bought a smoker from the US. 'em coppers are gonna get me doing my rib. I guess I'll have to do nightshift.

Archived