Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

9 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

The fact you need to make a law 

shows smokers total disregard to the ones closest to them

In Thailand you can exchange many words for the underlined smokers....

Anything from compulsive gamblers,drunks to speeding drivers or physical abusive types etc etc

I don't smoke but I don't believe a law for everything cures anything.....

Especially in a country that allows the air to become the worst in the world due to burning crop waste while all their citizens children breath it in

Or a country that allows such terrible pesticides to be used on the foods their citizens eat

Or the poisons they smoke into the air to kill mosquitoes etc etc etc

So I guess if your eyes are open there must be a lot of disregard going on in Thailand?

Again I don't smoke & think it stinks but......This new law is just a typical Thailand showboating law

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Ridiculous laws are very much enforced here, and not just for show.  Tourists are required to report their address within 24hrs, or face fine,  this is enforced in Thailand. Name one Western nation with similar law, and Third Reich does not count. Name a single Western nation where a person is forbidden to smoke in his own home! 

At this point calling Western nations a 'nanny state' is just silly, Western democracies  have much more individual freedoms than Thailand.

United Snakes of Murica.  At least in public/subsidized housing. 

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development will prohibit the smoking of cigarettes, cigars and pipes beginning July 31 in all public housing units and common areas. The restriction will also apply to areas within 25 feet of public housing grounds, according to a release from the department. Electronic cigarettes have not been banned as of yet but may be in the future. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and use of the drug – even for medicinal purposes – was already prohibited in public housing even in states where it has been legalized, although officials have some discretion in enforcement.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2018-07-13/smoking-ban-to-take-effect-in-public-housing-nationwide

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Obesity ought to be banned as well, they are an eyesore, they overuse the health system and they eat too much.

The obese overeaters are shortening their lives by a few years on average also. And they pass on their unhealthy eating habits to their kids ending up with overweight children who will also have their lives shorted by a few years. That’s a type of child abuse. Exposing children to second hand smoke is also a form of child abuse.

6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Ganja has numerous positive effects. Tobacco has none. Tobacco is addictive , but pot is not.

Pot not addictive? Maybe not physically.

But there are a hell of a lot of people psychologically addicted to pot who refuse to quit or can’t quit. 

And it’s proven that weed smoke has many of the same tars and chemicals and other <deleted> that tobacco has. That tar that coats their weed pipes and bongs is also coating their lungs. 

I’ve known a few weed smokers who stay stoned almost 24/7 even on the job. Sneaking off to smoke a joint every now and then. (One of them is a close relative.) 

Don’t tell me weed is not addictive. 

1 hour ago, sjbrownderby said:

I am very interested to see the figures, and their source, which led you to disbelieve that the figures quoted in the article are not correct. 

PLEASE read my posts 22, 277 and 279, where I apologise for mis-interpreting what the OP said.

Just now, Catoni said:

Pot not addictive? Maybe not physically.

But there are a hell of a lot of people psychologically addicted to pot who refuse to quit or can’t quit. 

And it’s proven that weed smoke has many of the same tars and chemicals and other <deleted> that tobacco has. That tar that coats their weed pipes and bongs is also coating their lungs. 

I’ve known a few weed smokers who stay stoned almost 24/7 even on the job. Sneaking off to smoke a joint every now and then. (One of them is a close relative.) 

Don’t tell me weed is not addictive. 

Most things, when taken to extremes, ain't good for you.  Like the Wake and Bake guys.....  Yep, all that sticky icky tar isn't just on their fingers, pipes and bongs.  I say that from a position of unapologetic hypocrisy.  ????

Recreational weed smokers have long sullied the medical marijuana cause.  Their disengenuos, self-serving, dopey hyperbole annoys the s**t out of me.   Even the most pro-weed Doctor out there. the one recreational guys hold up as their messiah and love to quote selectively, says ingesting hot smoke from pretty much anything that's on fire, ain't good for the lungs.  And he didn't like his patients smoking weed but in the early days, that was pretty much "it". 

Trajectory has always been about moving away from smoking weed, to the useful extracts being developed for medical use, administered in less harmful ways, and it seems to have moved in quick time in recent years.  Good thing.... but I expect the next iteration of it in Thailand will be headlines on TVF with photos of low level hospital employees in handcuffs, doing Wai's of contrition for stealing and selling THC drops under the table.

Again stats that don't add up....430,000 deaths world wide and 72000 in Thailand....so Thailand is one sixth of world wide deaths. Totally stupid....who fact checks these reports? The stats seem to be invented and when they are used to make policy and laws this amounts to gross stupidity on the pay of the legislature.

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I suggest a ban to breathe outside as humas exhale some percentage of Co2 !!!

But the trees needs the co2 remember your science class clorafill photosynthesis and some other big science words trees take in CO2 and emit oxygen

4 hours ago, transam said:

Hypocrisy....One suits you, one doesn't....????

Nothing to do with hypocrisy.  Transport provides multiple benefits to humankind although there is some pollution as a bye product. Tobacco addiction has no benefits but many negative side effects and bye products.  In the current day and age tobacco addicts are victims of ignorance,  weak will or lack of education. They usually, if in the west, hail from the lower classes but if from the east, third world countries. As well as poverty being a contributing factor there are links to political repression ie China and sexual repression ie Japan.

If you smoke 30 a day for 40 years the chances of you getting lung cancer in the next 15 years are only about 10%. If you spend 4 hours a day in a smoke filled room this increases the risk to 12%.  There are, though, many other diseases that your risk to is increased hence the average smoker in America dies 10 years before the average non-smoker. 

However the risks from the occasional whiff of a cigarette is actually negligible.  Some non-smokers will get lung cancer, even at an early age who have never been exposed to smoking at home or elsewhere.

Having said that I have never smoked and I do not like people smoking near me in a bar and even more so in a restaurant. I hate the smell and the fact that all my clothes will stink and have to be washed.  Their habit of holding their cigarette away from them and under my nose will prompt me to complain.  But it should be up to the owner of the premises whether he allows smoking or not.  Allow smoking in your restaurant and you will get no business from me, let the free market decide.  Smoking in your own home is no business of the state.

11 minutes ago, Mises said:

If you smoke 30 a day for 40 years the chances of you getting lung cancer in the next 15 years are only about 10%. If you spend 4 hours a day in a smoke filled room this increases the risk to 12%.  There are, though, many other diseases that your risk to is increased hence the average smoker in America dies 10 years before the average non-smoker. 

However the risks from the occasional whiff of a cigarette is actually negligible.  Some non-smokers will get lung cancer, even at an early age who have never been exposed to smoking at home or elsewhere.

Having said that I have never smoked and I do not like people smoking near me in a bar and even more so in a restaurant. I hate the smell and the fact that all my clothes will stink and have to be washed.  Their habit of holding their cigarette away from them and under my nose will prompt me to complain.  But it should be up to the owner of the premises whether he allows smoking or not.  Allow smoking in your restaurant and you will get no business from me, let the free market decide.  Smoking in your own home is no business of the state.

I hope you wash your clothes even if you are not around a smoker ????

2 hours ago, sharpjwe said:

The fact you need to make a law 

shows smokers total disregard to the ones closest to them

by possibly poisoning their offspring and loved ones .

on top of smokers throwing billions of tab ends at all 4 corners of the earth!!!

i was fortunate my father died of trough cancer when I was only 2 years old thus sparing me damage.

you can die of smoke related complications

but please do it alone and by keeping the planet clean 

happy suffering you pay for

medical should not cover self inflicted ailments 

Come back into reality.

Everyone whos <deleted> up enough to smoke near his kid will not give a damn about this law, they are the same kind of people who beat and verbally abuse their offsprings.

The same kind of people that get drunk at home...Report them as a kid and risk beeing beat up. 
What thailand needs is education, education and education! that's the only thing this solves this social problem.

This whole law is about abuse and has nothing to do with smoking, why they didn't use alcoholics beating up their children as a better example is beyond me: https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20101101/alcohol-more-harmful-than-crack-or-heroin#1

According to this "multicriteria decision analysis approach," alcohol is almost three times as harmful as cocaine or tobacco.

medical should not cover self inflicted ailments 

As well applies to skinny, fat and sporty people...careful what you wish for...

There's no "proof" as in most cases of lung cancer, but some types are more related to smoking than others, as in my mothers case.
Statistically, it's likely that she died as a result of exposure to tobacco smoke.
You're elevator stopped in the basement if your comments are any indicator of your humanity.

And that’s proof of....what? 

What’s your point? That smoking is harmless??  
    Your father elevator appears to not have gone all the way to the top floor.  And it appears to run in the family. 

There have been vehicle accidents where a passenger wearing a seat belt died, and a person not wearing a seat belt survived. 
    Or a person with no helmet on a motorbike survived a crash, and their passenger died even though wearing a helmet.?
    Is that proof that we are safer when not wearing seat belts in a vehicle, and safer if not wearing a helmet on a motorbike? 

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Mises said:

That's a balanced view IMO. 

As a smoker before, partially now (in the pub after a few), I always try to be a courteous person.  If I sense my smoke is bothering someone I adjust, without being asked.  If they mention it, I adjust without hestitation.  Because that's how I would want to be treated.

When it comes to whiney, demanding little b****es who freak out at the mere whiff of cigarette odor from nowhere near them, those are the ones smokers love to grin at, then blow a big fat cloud their direction and watch them twist.  Especially the ones who rock up to a bar they KNOW people can smoke at, and then virtue signal and stomp their wittle footsies as they "take their money elsewhere", to the sound of our laughter as the door hits them in the a** on the way out.

33 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

That's a balanced view IMO. 

As a smoker before, partially now (in the pub after a few), I always try to be a courteous person.  If I sense my smoke is bothering someone I adjust, without being asked.  If they mention it, I adjust without hestitation.  Because that's how I would want to be treated.

When it comes to whiney, demanding little b****es who freak out at the mere whiff of cigarette odor from nowhere near them, those are the ones smokers love to grin at, then blow a big fat cloud their direction and watch them twist.  Especially the ones who rock up to a bar they KNOW people can smoke at, and then virtue signal and stomp their wittle footsies as they "take their money elsewhere", to the sound of our laughter as the door hits them in the a** on the way out.

I don’t know how you can quit smoking...but then smoke after a few drinks in the pub or bar. 

I smoked for about thirty years..a large pack a day (in Canada a large pack held 25...a small pack 20)

When drinking in the pub or bar with my buddies...I’d go through two packs a day.

I quit...(extremely difficult.). My wife continued to smoke. Almost three years later one day we are coming out of the mall and she lights up...and I say “Honey, it’s been almost three years since I quit. Let me have just a few drags to see what it’s like after so much time.”

BIG mistake. Three deep drags from that cigarette was actually enough to get me hooked again. Nicotine is damned more powerful of an addictive drug than we realize. (Yes....nicotine is a drug....also a poison used in some pesticides.)

Foolishness to try a few drags after I had quit for almost three years.

I was hooked again !  

It took me years more to be in a mentally strong enough position to quit for good again. That was more than ten years ago...close to fifteen years. 

Now I can go drinking and play pool all night without smoking. Enough time has gone by that I don’t feel the desire or urge to smoke. Finally free from those stupid, costly, unhealthy harmful things. 

I will NEVER even take one drag off of a cigarette again. Let alone smoke a whole one. I’d be hooked again for years, or until I die. 

NEVER again !!!!!!

On 8/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, edwinchester said:

Read the article again.

430,000 people die annually in the world from second hand smoke.

Of Thailand's 10,000,000 smokers 72,000 die as a direct result of that smoking.

More phoney 'science'. How on earth can those numbers be proven?

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Hospitals have details of illnesses and related deaths so presume figures can be gained from their stats.

So how do 'stats' differentiate between smokers, second hand smokers, victims of other kinds of air pollution, and apparent victims of diseases that can be caused by smoking but also may occur in people who have never had contact with smokers?

Phoney science. 

7 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

More phoney 'science'. How on earth can those numbers be proven?

Oh...don’t worry about that. Science often “proves” their data. By making “adjustment” or finding “new” or “old” data that they didn’t have before.

Just like those freaked out leftist Alarmists that want us to panic over Gore Bull Warming/Climate Change/Climate Disruption/Climate Crisis/Climate Emergency.....or whatever other name they are calling it...this week. 

I predict they will soon change the name to “world Climate Disaster” 

3 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Oh...don’t worry about that. Science often “proves” their data. By making “adjustment” or finding “new” or “old” data that they didn’t have before.

Just like those freaked out leftist Alarmists that want us to panic over Gore Bull Warming/Climate Change/Climate Disruption/Climate Crisis/Climate Emergency.....or whatever other name they are calling it...this week. 

I predict they will soon change the name to “world Climate Disaster” 

Spot on mate. Smokers also produce greenhouse gases, which offends the eco cult lefty zealots who look down on the rest of us.

48 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I don’t know how you can quit smoking...but then smoke after a few drinks in the pub or bar. 

I smoked for about thirty years..a large pack a day (in Canada a large pack held 25...a small pack 20)

When drinking in the pub or bar with my buddies...I’d go through two packs a day.

I quit...(extremely difficult.). My wife continued to smoke. Almost three years later one day we are coming out of the mall and she lights up...and I say “Honey, it’s been almost three years since I quit. Let me have just a few drags to see what it’s like after so much time.”

BIG mistake. Three deep drags from that cigarette was actually enough to get me hooked again. Nicotine is damned more powerful of an addictive drug than we realize. (Yes....nicotine is a drug....also a poison used in some pesticides.)

Foolishness to try a few drags after I had quit for almost three years.

I was hooked again !  

It took me years more to be in a mentally strong enough position to quit for good again. That was more than ten years ago...close to fifteen years. 

Now I can go drinking and play pool all night without smoking. Enough time has gone by that I don’t feel the desire or urge to smoke. Finally free from those stupid, costly, unhealthy harmful things. 

I will NEVER even take one drag off of a cigarette again. Let alone smoke a whole one. I’d be hooked again for years, or until I die. 

NEVER again !!!!!!

Been there done that, know the feeling, but it doesn't happen so quickly for me anymore.   If I get too carried away for a couple weeks, I can feel the smokes starting to get their claws back in me.   I stop,  adjust lifestyle for a while to avoid the hard spot, then I'm ok again.  I sure do enjoy smoking (with beers) but I don't want to be a full-time smoker again.  I vape.  That's how I got off smokes in the first place a number of years ago, like you for 2 or 3 years, then have been a casual, occassional pub smoker since.  

19 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Been there done that, know the feeling, but it doesn't happen so quickly for me anymore.   If I get too carried away for a couple weeks, I can feel the smokes starting to get their claws back in me.   I stop,  adjust lifestyle for a while to avoid the hard spot, then I'm ok again.  I sure do enjoy smoking (with beers) but I don't want to be a full-time smoker again.  I vape.  That's how I got off smokes in the first place a number of years ago, like you for 2 or 3 years, then have been a casual, occassional pub smoker since.  

I stopped 10 years ago by going cold turkey after several failed attempts. This was after giving up previously, then having one or two at the pub, which led to me becoming a regular smoker again without thinking about it  

Agreed that the desire to smoke never leaves you. Even now, when I see someone smoking I want one.

26 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I stopped 10 years ago by going cold turkey after several failed attempts. This was after giving up previously, then having one or two at the pub, which led to me becoming a regular smoker again without thinking about it  

Agreed that the desire to smoke never leaves you. Even now, when I see someone smoking I want one.

Everyone’s different. When I quit...it was damned hard for the first three weeks off. No way I could go out drinking. 

Then the urges started becoming less powerful, and longer time between urges. 

But today I have no urge to have a smoke. I can be walking with my wife and she is smoking, and I have no desire for one anymore. 

And I can go to a bar or pub, have something to eat, a few drinks and play some pool...and no desire for a smoke. 

My smoker’s cough is gone. 

The greatest thing is..I can’t remember the last time I had Bronchitis with that horrible crackling noisy breathing and wheezing  sound when trying to go to sleep.

I use to get Bronchitis two or three times a year and it would last more than a month at a time and was becoming worse and lasting longer. The crackly sound breathing noises and shortness of breath was getting me worried. 

Now....  I haven’t had Bronchitis since I quit smoking. YEARS AGO. 

I healed and no longer get short of breath. 

If you haven’t done permanent damage to your lungs...they can heal. 

Sorry you still get that desire for a smoke when you see someone light up. Hopefully some day you will be totally free from the desire for a smoke. 

Sounds like nicotine still has a little bit of a grip on you. Not totally free of its effects yet. I hope that with more time....that will improve for you. 

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I wonder if the smoking ban includes burning garbage and plastic in front of the home.

That's something I could really get behind.

Yes out in the villages, young and old are suffering from the inhalation of smoke from these smoldering fires of household rubbish, with much plastic being burned.

2 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Yes out in the villages, young and old are suffering from the inhalation of smoke from these smoldering fires of household rubbish, with much plastic being burned.

But the general PM and the one who can't be named won't do s##t about it

I just wish that they would concentrate on enforcing the smoking ban in bars first. I lived in Arizona in 2003 when a ban on smoking in bars was voted in. Many of the bars thought they would lose business, but they actually brought in new customers. The bars made smoking areas outside. Nice to be able to breath fresh air while having a beer.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived