Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Here we go, maths again. These figures mean that 16% of the worldwide deaths are in Thailand. I think not.

I read that as "... 430,000 people die worldwide annually from second hand smoke"

and 72,000 smokers die annually in Thailand (i.e., 1st hand smoke).

58 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Friend of my wife recently died of lung cancer despite never smoking in her life. Her husband did though and doctors say she was killed by secondhand smoke.

A girl friend got extracted 40% of her lung because of cancer. Nobody in that family smokes.

1 hour ago, mania said:

Wow!

I don't smoke but what an adult does in their own home should be their business....No?

Also I have to admit I smile a little thinking of all the folks who always say....I would never go back to my country...They are a Nanny State

Yet Thailand now with laws like these & the infamous TM30 555 ????

I think I would tend to agree with your first statement, but there are a bunch of ifs.

If there are home people in the home.

If the home is something like a condo and in close proximity to other units. 

I do not know why this is such a surprise to people, or why lessening the effects of a known carcinogen is met with scorn. What is next, getting mad over saving the environment? 

The basic tenet in almost all societies is things are generally ok, IF they are not negatively affecting others.

Secondhand smoke KILLS others! So, we are not even talking about others being affected in superficial ways here like noise pollution. People are actually dying and being made less healthy, to no fault of their own. 

Enforcement is the difficulty and what discussion should center around in my opinion. 

59 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I'm ok with that as long as they don't ban farting. 

That would be bad ,that is something the wife and i do all the time and it always ,always makes us laugh .when she lived in the UK ,she learnt to say"more tea vicar" every time i did it .

as for smoking ,if she ever did it at home i would report her ,mind you she has never smoked in her life ,????

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Friend of my wife recently died of lung cancer despite never smoking in her life. Her husband did though and doctors say she was killed by secondhand smoke.

My SIL in Uk is having a bad time with cancer at the moment 'chemo' neither she or my brother smoked. My FIL in Thailand died from cancer and never smoked in his life.

Just now, meand said:

I think I would tend to agree with your first statement, but there are a bunch of ifs.

I do not know why this is such a surprise to people, or why lessening the effects of a known carcinogen is met with scorn. What is next, getting mad over saving the environment? 

The basic tenant in almost all societies is things are generally ok, IF they are not negatively affecting others.

Secondhand smoke KILLS others! So, we are not even talking about others being affected in superficial ways here like noise pollution. People are actually dying and being made less healthy, to no fault of their own. 

Enforcement is the difficulty and what discussion should center around in my opinion. 

You could ban a lot of food products then as well, starting with bacon, and of course traffic pollution, insecticides, many paints and wood preservatives, some materials, alcohol etc. What about sugar? more people die of diabetes these days than cancer. Ban living would be easier.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

You could ban a lot of food products then as well, starting with bacon, and of course traffic pollution, insecticides, many paints and wood preservatives, some materials, alcohol etc. What about sugar? more people die of diabetes these days than cancer. Ban living would be easier.

Ok, we will ban bacon, and yes that is the exact same thing as babies being exposed daily to secondhand cig smoke. 

If u cannot figure this out yourself nothing i say is going to convince you. 

Meanwhile in Thailand when i go out for dinner there are still people smoking inside the restaurant!!!

Dont panic my friends,this is just another law that will not be enforced,impossible to do even if they wanted to.

42 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You can add to builders lighting fires and burning plastic 

2 hours ago, andre47 said:

Is this a joke?

Politicians wants to control everything. Next step: mandatory cameras in the private rooms to control the smoking ban.

I wonder if next bowel movements will have to limited and put down on paper. Maybe limited to only 0ne per day.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Here we go, maths again. These figures mean that 16% of the worldwide deaths are in Thailand. I think not.

Here we go, reading comprehension again.

"He claimed that 430,000 people die worldwide annually from second hand smoking."

"There are thought to be 10 million smokers in Thailand with around 72,000 deaths annually"

So the first one is deaths from second hand smoking, and the other one is smoking deaths all-in-all.

A form of Hitler Youth comes to Thailand 

May as well ban alcohol, having sex, and communicating with family members in the home too!

Oh <deleted> vaping is illegal here

Oh <deleted> sex toys etc are illegal here

Firewall for Facebook ? dunno.

Just waiting for guys to come around and install cameras.

1 hour ago, meand said:

The basic tenet in almost all societies is things are generally ok, IF they are not negatively affecting others.

For sure all those things may be valid but this is a reaction to folks smoking in their own home in a Country that had the worst air quality in the world at times this past year (which was not due to cigarette smoke)

So looking at the one & at the other why choose the smoking in their own home as the one that gets the 1300 hotline?

How about a 555 hotline to call when reporting folks lighting fields at night? ????

Thailand is literally the nannystate of Asia, Thailand is so anti-smoking. Go to Malaysia,Indonesia and Vietnam and you can smoke everywhere, they even have cigarette advertising. 

But please respect those that don’t smoke, you really don’t smoke in the middle of a crowd or at a bus stop etc.

Their switchboard will go into meltdown when I start calling it non stop in "pollution season". Without an air purifier the air is much worse than having a football team in your living room lighting up simultaneously.

I can't wait !!!

Archived