Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

On 8/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, Matzzon said:

Good, now people can show some respect and smoke outside in designated places or on their balconies.

So now balconies will have to be 5 mt long. spot the smokers condos in this pic.     brings a whole new meaning to i'll just step outside1509956789_images(12).jpg.cdc4e50f45a44049c8cedaadc35af6d7.jpg

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, 55Jay said:

That's a balanced view IMO. 

As a smoker before, partially now (in the pub after a few), I always try to be a courteous person.  If I sense my smoke is bothering someone I adjust, without being asked.  If they mention it, I adjust without hestitation.  Because that's how I would want to be treated.

When it comes to whiney, demanding little b****es who freak out at the mere whiff of cigarette odor from nowhere near them, those are the ones smokers love to grin at, then blow a big fat cloud their direction and watch them twist.  Especially the ones who rock up to a bar they KNOW people can smoke at, and then virtue signal and stomp their wittle footsies as they "take their money elsewhere", to the sound of our laughter as the door hits them in the a** on the way out.

You have just confirmed smokers actually enjoy bothering and even affecting the health of others. That makes the position the Thais have taken here much more sensible, since according to you smokers are actually going out of their way to affect others. 

Along with cig butts being the number one litter item worldwide, you guys are a real delight it seems. 

On 8/21/2019 at 4:53 AM, Catoni said:

Pot not addictive? Maybe not physically.

But there are a hell of a lot of people psychologically addicted to pot who refuse to quit or can’t quit. 

And it’s proven that weed smoke has many of the same tars and chemicals and other <deleted> that tobacco has. That tar that coats their weed pipes and bongs is also coating their lungs. 

I’ve known a few weed smokers who stay stoned almost 24/7 even on the job. Sneaking off to smoke a joint every now and then. (One of them is a close relative.) 

Don’t tell me weed is not addictive. 

It's not addictive.

3 hours ago, meand said:

You have just confirmed smokers actually enjoy bothering and even affecting the health of others. That makes the position the Thais have taken here much more sensible, since according to you smokers are actually going out of their way to affect others. 

Along with cig butts being the number one litter item worldwide, you guys are a real delight it seems. 

Flip side to that is, you have just confirmed the fictional, whingy non-smoker character I created, in what was CLEARLY a fictional pub scene, actually exists.  Just a bit of blue collar hero pub humor, but you crack on seizing upon fictional insult so you can then register your virtuous outrage and vent your spleen.

The internet. ????

On 8/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Crossy said:

Is it illegal to smoke at home if you are alone?

absolutely...you'll have to dob yourself in,you can probably do it at immigration when you go and report you're returning home after staying at a mate's place in another province

13 hours ago, Syduan said:

It's not addictive.

It is... psychologically addictive for some people... ...    Overall.. there are lots of people hooked on weed and hash.  Here are signs that you've got an addiction problem with weed or hash or other forms of THC. 

You may start out thinking, “I’m just going to take a couple hits.” But end up smoking a lot by the end of the night. If this happens regularly it’s a sign of addiction.

You may be trying to stop your drug use. But, you may find yourself unable to stop when you’re trying to quit. Being unable to stop your use means you probably need help in getting clean.

How we spend our time says a lot about us. If the bulk of it is spent either getting high, waiting to get high, or looking for marijuana that is a serious red flag.

If your schedule has slowly been depleted of all physical or recreational activities and replaced with hanging out and getting high, then you could be addicted to marijuana.

If you have been warned that you will be fired if you are late to work or show up high again yet you to continue to smoke marijuana before heading into work, then you are exhibiting behavior that is akin to self-sabotage. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, that is a sign of addiction.

If you feel like the only way you can handle bad grades, problems at work, and relationship issues is to get high, then you may be addicted to marijuana.

If you need to get high before you feel comfortable being creative or before you can truly relax, then you may be addicted to marijuana.

If you decide which events to attend and whom to hang out with based on whether or not you can use marijuana and get high, then you are likely addicted to marijuana.

If you have important responsibilities in you daily life but begin to consistently fail to  see them through because your mind is on getting high, it might be a motivation problem or it could just as easily mean you have an psychological addiction to THC.

Another one... that I like... Constant denying that a drug you're using regularly is addictive, is a sign of a problem.. whether it's nicotine, cocaine, heroin, weed and hash, mescaline, or even caffeine.  

Although caffeine in the amounts most people use it is relatively harmless.. it's a drug also of course.  Some people are hooked on caffeine.. and become very irritable if they don't get their morning fix.. 

I worked with a guy who needed four cups of stong coffee in the morning just to get going...every day.....  without fail.... and then he drank coffee throughout the work day.  That is NOT normal.

I don't know what he did outside work.. or at home.  

7 hours ago, Catoni said:

It is... psychologically addictive for some people... ...  

Some people are built that way. I knew of one that was hooked on paracetamol and one girl that compulsively drank over 8L of water a day. Still I'm not going to go and cry for banning paracetamol and water. I ain't built that way.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:15 PM, Oziex1 said:

Yes out in the villages, young and old are suffering from the inhalation of smoke from these smoldering fires of household rubbish, with much plastic being burned.

Agreed. Though I'm not a doctor or scientist I'd be willing to bet money that smoke from burning plastic is significantly more dangerous than other kinds of smoke, including cigarettes.

How to create marital discord.  Look for an increase in domestic violence!  Soon "big brother" will dictate the hours when you may use the toilet.  Governments should have no jurisdiction in private homes.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:18 AM, edwinchester said:

Friend of my wife recently died of lung cancer despite never smoking in her life. Her husband did though and doctors say she was killed by secondhand smoke.

Nothing to do with the air quality from smog? 

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

How to create marital discord.  Look for an increase in domestic violence!  Soon "big brother" will dictate the hours when you may use the toilet.  Governments should have no jurisdiction in private homes.

Nothing to do with the air quality from smog? 

Her doctor said it was a type of cancer associated with tobacco smoke and her husband was a lifelong heavy smoker.

Poor quality air is a known cause of lung cancer in Thailand though and a particular problem in Kanchanaburi according to our local health center.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:12 PM, DrTuner said:

Some people are built that way. I knew of one that was hooked on paracetamol and one girl that compulsively drank over 8L of water a day. Still I'm not going to go and cry for banning paracetamol and water. I ain't built that way.

I’m not sure how you equate paracetamol (acetaminophen) and water with weed and hash...but okay. Whatever you say. 

Apparently there are now a few places in the world that have decriminalized small amounts of powdered cocaine. Maybe amounts of cocaine a gram or less should be allowed also. Or small amounts of opium....for personal use only. And you must be minimum 18 years old. 

Sounds okay.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:22 AM, jackdd said:

In many places in the city this means smokers have to stand in the middle of the street

This is the governments end game.  They know if the smokers are standing in the middle of Thai streets smoking, many of them will be run over, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived