Tourism minister wants to extend pub opening hours

webfact

I have absolutely no idea how this idea will increase tourists. Their recent releases show no ideas at all.

I have to say in all my time of travelling to other countries, I have never once checked to see what time bars close in that particular place. Off the top of my head I know about a dozen places in Bangkok which are always open after 2am, so it's not like this rule is even properly enforced.

I also love how they still have a 'Tourism and Sports Minister'. They are two very different roles of expertise. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All you against must be Aussies or English and likely 60 years old that need a nanny to make your warm milk before sleep.

Where I come from we can get <deleted> faced 24/7 for 365 days a year, they will serve you alcohol even if you can't hold onto the bar. Nightclubs finish 7am, but afterclubs start 5am and stay open until it's busy. You can have drugs with you for own consumption and it's 100% legal.

Guess what? We have very little drug/alcohol related crime. And very little road accidents as there is 0 - ZERO - tolerance against driving under influence and the public transport system is so effective that nobody would even think about it.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:47 AM, Orton Rd said:

People who live near pubs don't want them open until 4am, they go from one extreme to the other.

Well, how about not living there?

You sound like the <deleted> in Sydney's Kings Cross that killed a vibrant part of city because they decided to move their old asses to a party area, and then complain about the parties.

14 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

You sound like the <deleted> in Sydney's Kings Cross that killed a vibrant part of city because they decided to move their old asses to a party area, and then complain about the parties.

... this species is a close relative to the species of people moving near an airport and then complaining about plane noise.

14 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

In Thailand the "party area", read karaoke bars and like, will move next to you. Naturally right after you've paid a pretty penny for a place that was quiet. Zoning is an unknown thing. Thais love their 180dB noise at 3AM, preferably some half arsed morlam with the karaoke performed by a ready to drop 15 promille screaming banshee. Welcome to Thailaannn!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 9:18 AM, webfact said:

Phiphat said he believed that if closing is extended to 4 am, tourists will spend 25 per cent more on eating and drinking.

What's this number based on? How is that even possible to calculate? Did he average out what the usual tourist is spending during a night out divided by hours, times extended hours? Genius!

Archived