BANGKOK
webfact

Tourism minister wants to extend pub opening hours

35 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Then go to a non-smoking bar?

Freedom of choice, ever heard of?

Should be up to the owner to decide which clientele he wants and no one else, business freedom.

There are very few non smoking GoGo bars in Pattaya. What freedom of choice do the dancers and service staff have? The dangers of passive smoking have been known for years.  It is  unjust for a minority of people who are addicted to the drug tobacco to impose the toxic byproducts of their habit on other people. Its not just a health issue. The stink of ashtrays in confined spaces is unpleasant too. Smoking is dyeing out in most western countries.  Due to the addictive nature of tobacco, the usually old and uneducated people who got trapped into smoking in yesteryear have lost their freedom of choice.

40 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

As typical human beings we don't like to be told what to do or not do, education is the answer.

wine can make you fat, what will it be.....red or white?

Thank handy to know, thanks. I always thought it was 12 pints of beer and the kebab and chips. I blame the French.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I am unclear how plans to extend pub opening hours relate to your views on sex tourism. 

Bars and Discos - it is all about sex. There are two kinds of sex tourists. The professionals know the business and take what they want without hesitation. And there are the newcomers and the naive. They think that for instance in Discos they will find the good girls. But every other word than "How much" is a waste of time. So in the end extended opening times will promote more sex business. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Smoking is banned in public places bars, restaurants, Fife’s etc in Thailand but like the wearing of crash hats it’s never enforced.

In fact it’s openly encouraged in most Bars as they put ash trays on the table.

Don't know a single indoor bar in bangkok where you can smoke, only outside. 

Only place i know off is a gogo bar next to a the police checkpoint on cowboy where it's allowed.. 

And of course thai gclubs... They are above the law. 

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/clubs-and-bars-open-till-4am-proposal-must-be-studied-pm-says/

Of course big boss doesn't like it. 

Edited by ThomasThBKK

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The unelected authorities with their puritanical, myopic views have ruined Thailand for both Thai nationals and foreigners alike. Regarding tourists: its not really about numbers but repeat visitors. The awful display of the armed military parading around tourist areas accompanied by police is very intimidating as is the use of outdated drug laws to harrass people.

You have hit the nail on the head there - having a squad of soldiers in combat kit prowling around bars looking at the patrons, as has happened a couple of times when I have been out for a beer in the last couple of years, is not exactly the "happy holiday experience". Tourists will find it intimidating, and will go somewhere else next time. Those of us who live here, and understand the xenophobic insecurity of those who are born to rule, merely find it pathetic.

It is not the only reason that tourists are not coming, they have been discussed many times here recently, but it is a contributing factor.

Edited by JAG

10 hours ago, webfact said:

destinations be allowed to stay open until 4am to attract foreign tourists to spend more

Dear oh dear, this guy really does not understand. They could open all day every day and bank holidays - if the tourists have no money to come due to the baht price, they wont hang around bars more

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Don’t they realise its not the opening hours which is deterring Tourists, not everyone comes to Thailand for 24 hour drinking, it’s the poor exchange rates.

It will be interesting too see what figures are announced in the coming months re arrivals. TAT will say there has been an increase but I suspect the Hotel/Bar Owners will disagree.

The poor exchange rates are just one piece of this very complex, and long running puzzle. I think over the long run, tourism is going to decline here drastically, and the surly immigration agents are going to ask why did I lose my job? That is not fair. Well, had you been better behaved for the past decade, you might have helped to contribute to convincing another tourist to return. Duh! They might even have museums, that used to be hotels, and are now abandoned buildings, for the students to walk through. 

I think perhaps a few decades from now, they will have tourism classes at university, where they will discuss how Thailand lost the golden egg of Western tourism. Those tourists, unlike most Chinese tourists, spent anywhere from $100 a day, to over $2,000 a day. They brought real money into the country, and in exchange, were treated with utter and complete disregard, scammed, disrespected, and abused. Eventually, most said no more.

Thailand thought the country was something very special, and that nobody would ever say no, or find alternative places to visit. The fact is that there are countless other spots, many in this region, that offer better service, more expertise in food and beverage (especially wine service and selection at fair prices, which rich tourists demand), reasonable import duties to sustain a luxury goods market, better training, and far better english skills. Thailand simply lost sight of the big picture, and had very little vision, with regard to big spending tourists, who need to be catered to, instead of scorned. 

The same applies to the ex-pat community, which is assume will decline rather dramatically too, over the next few decades. All of those well behaved, respectful, honest, decent ex-pats, who spent anywhere from 50,000 to 150,000 baht a month here just gone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

There are so many tourist destinations full of tourists and these destinations don't provide noise and sex at every corner. But obviously Thailand wants to go back to times before. But I hear many complaints by sex tourists that sex got pretty expensive here. I don't know since I never use such a service. And what I have watched was that sex tourists don't care much about closing times. They will take home the service person much earlier. 

I think the sex tourists constitute a small minority of the tourists that come here. Less and less, all the time. So, whether or not they are pushing an agenda of "purity", makes little difference. What will happen, will happen in a more organic fashion. Good old supply and demand. My guess is that Pattaya, and Bangkok will hold their own. Maybe even Hua Hin, with the small amount of action the place affords. Samui, Phuket, and Chiang Mai will continue their downward decline, in terms of the trade, and otherwise. 

• Like 1

That’s going to feel great for all the business just next door to these zones as customers leave to go to places open until 4am.

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think the sex tourists constitute a small minority of the tourists that come here. Less and less, all the time. So, whether or not they are pushing an agenda of "purity", makes little difference. 

Please correct me if I am wrong. If I remember correctly we had a female tourist minister before. She tried to get rid of the sex business. But now this new male minister tries to correct her approach. At least to me it looks like this. But anyhow. I don't think the military government has much to do with the declining night life. I have been living in Pattaya for more than two decades and I can't get rid of the feeling that in recent years very many new bars opened here. 

If you aren't on the saddle by 11pm, better to continue imbibing through the night. He might have a point. Need to be drunk 24/7 to dull the reality in Thailand anyway.

2 hours ago, Army said:

Of course. Thailand is broke and needs the money. Most just go to 7 before midnight and stock up

You can't put a price on this level of entertainment lol

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Midnight in Udon Thani except for the one police-owned local dance hall which respects the national 2 AM curfew.

I don't ramwong either.

Quit your whinning 555

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Ive got a good idea, you can only buy ciggies at the same time as booze

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118664-smoking-ban-at-home-comes-into-effect-today-call-1300-for-violations/?utm_source=newsletter-20190820-1303&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Smoking at home ban

Edited by JohnnyChristo
Information