Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Tourism minister wants to extend pub opening hours

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. 

I think you're right, although I disagree it being about wine or luxury goods. My take is they can't provide the whole five star experience. Airports suck, transportation is deadly, moving around by foot nigh impossible, hotels badly maintained and food & service often <deleted> shoot and so on and so on.

 

It was ok when you expected it, booked a beach bungalow and a scooter. That type of holiday, regardless of price, Thailand could offer very well. And Scandinavians especially love it. They would spend lot on food in restaurants, nightlife, etc. It's now all gone with soulless overbuilt coast lines and islands. Vietnam seems to have some of it left, Myanmar should flourish but they must zone it right.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

I think you're right, although I disagree it being about wine or luxury goods. My take is they can't provie the whole five star experience. Airports suck, transportation is deadly, moving around by foot nigh impossible, hotels badly maintained and food & service often <deleted> shoot and so on and so on.

 

It was ok when you expected it, booked a beach bungalow and a scooter. That type of holiday, regardless of price, Thailand could offer very well. And Scandinavians especially love it. They would spend lot on food in restaurants, nightlife, etc. It's now all gone with soulless overbuilt coast lines and islands. Vietnam seems to have some of it left, Myanmar should flourish but they must zone it right.

 

Well, for sure those tourists are gone for good. But, you have to admit, when it comes to really wealthy tourists, they love to spend money while on vacation. I spoke to a friend from London, who is a very high end attorney. He represents alot of oligarchs from Russia, and top businessmen. He said he averages $75,000 for a ten day vacation, not including luxury spending on watches, hand bags, etc. Guys like him want to drink world class wine, and get world class service from a qualified sommelier. They also want to buy a new watch, or their wives want to buy a new handbag, while traveling. It is just part of the experience for them. They came to Thailand once, around 11 years ago. They never returned. Want to guess why? Those kinds of tourists are gone forever. They will never return. Not enough here to satisfy them. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, for sure those tourists are gone for good. But, you have to admit, when it comes to really wealthy tourists, they love to spend money while on vacation. I spoke to a friend from London, who is a very high end attorney. He represents alot of oligarchs from Russia, and top businessmen. He said he averages $75,000 for a ten day vacation, not including luxury spending on watches, hand bags, etc. Guys like him want to drink world class wine, and get world class service from a qualified sommelier. They also want to buy a new watch, or their wives want to buy a new handbag, while traveling. It is just part of the experience for them. They came to Thailand once, around 11 years ago. They never returned. Want to guess why? Those kinds of tourists are gone forever. They will never return. Not enough here to satisfy them. 

Well yes, those are high rollers. But they are just one in a million, on average don't make a dent in the revenue. It's the couple and family travellers that saved a year for a holiday and the two week millionaires that also blew year's savings on a holiday that used to come in fair quantities that are now missing in action and not coming back, due to the reason I mentioned and of course high baht, better places nearby and the usual suspects. There is no way to recover since Thais would have to bulldoze entire tourist areas to return it to what it was, as well as block Chinese, Russians and Indians completely. It's dead, Jim.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, superal said:

Next they will be banning alcohol in bars ,  btw how can you afford to smoke ciggs in Oz ? heard they are very expensive ?  

We wait for rich Thais to arrive and then hold them at gunpoint until they cough up their cigarettes.  :cheesy:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, timendres said:

Tourists coming here for fun are using public transportation. Partying until 4am and stumbling into a taxi to go back to their room is hardly a major problem. I have lived here for 9 years and never driven a vehicle, drunk or sober. The majority of people are perfectly capable of managing their fun without harming others. I agree that those who break the law and endanger others should be punished accordingly, of course.

 

Adding to your list, I would include an anal retentive, pedantic view of the world test.

if what you said was true there would be no need for dui laws the world over and that's hardly the case..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if what you said was true there would be no need for dui laws the world over and that's hardly the case..

DUI laws are needed for those not responsible enough not to drink and drive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if what you said was true there would be no need for dui laws the world over and that's hardly the case..

Hence the reason I stated: "I agree that those who break the law and endanger others should be punished accordingly, of course."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can open the bars 24/7 but if the Farang tourists aren't around there wont be many customers.

Would make make more sense to promote 24 hour latex shops and roti stalls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How stupid can it be that a person wants to encourage people to drink alcohol. How many more idiots!

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

You can open the bars 24/7 but if the Farang tourists aren't around there wont be many customers.

Would make make more sense to promote 24 hour latex shops and roti stalls.

There are plenty of other destinations on the planet where you can drink 24/7 and probably a lot cheaper with no TM30, 90 Day Reporting etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 9:29 AM, Cadbury said:

The RTP Bar and Club Owners Association must be feeling the pinch and applying a bit of pressure.

With the foreign currency collapse and the £ at 37.55Baht beer is the first thing to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, lure tourists in with later bar times and then once you have tourism back where you want it, shut the bars down early again and do something else that’s stupid to chase them off.

 

This place deserves to rot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, moontang said:

Thermae used to not get rolling until after 3.  Last time I went there, I was approached by a lady, who looked like Carrie Lam.

 

 

Them were the days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, car720 said:

We wait for rich Thais to arrive and then hold them at gunpoint until they cough up their cigarettes.  :cheesy:

Is that called a smoking gun..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Then go to a non-smoking bar?

 

Freedom of choice, ever heard of?

 

Should be up to the owner to decide which clientele he wants and no one else, business freedom.

think the days of "the owner deciding which clientele he wants" are long over,and thats especially true for thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...