Tourism minister wants to extend pub opening hours

webfact

11 minutes ago, Beggar said:

There are so many tourist destinations full of tourists and these destinations don't provide noise and sex at every corner. But obviously Thailand wants to go back to times before. But I hear many complaints by sex tourists that sex got pretty expensive here. I don't know since I never use such a service. And what I have watched was that sex tourists don't care much about closing times. They will take home the service person much earlier. 

I dont know a single sex tourist, but still: Looking at F/X charts tells you that everything incl. horizontal service becomes more expensive day by day for foreigners in TH

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, malibukid said:

agreed Alcohol sucks.  like lets get stupid. its so old hat.

Although damaging to the health even in small doses, when used responsibly it causes few social problems for 70% to 80% of users. In the west, severe penalties for dui curtailed the sport of drinking while drunk which was very popular for years. This country is way behind the west in law enforcement so my concern that they're making this drug more available at later times  thus more likely to being used when people are already drunk further impairing judgement. Many tourists rent scooters or cars and the combo of being drunk and unfamiliar with the roads/driving habits is brutal as we all have seen after living here for any length of time. If people didn't leave their brains at their airport it wouldn't be as much as a problem, but some think once they leave their womb of a country their need to be responsible ceases causing this selfish entitled behavor. 

Would be even better to void the ban of alcohol sale between 2 pm and 5 pm so tourist and everybody can enjoy holiday  and you can do your shopping in the afternoon to bring home.

THis ban have no real utility to stop people drinking ....

8 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"if closing is extended to 4 am, tourists will spend 25 per cent more on eating and drinking"

• Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn may be in trouble with the Thai Disease Control Department for encouraging people to drink alcohol.

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

"He added however that the proposal did not apply to all areas but would cover such popular tourist spots as the Silom nightlife zone in Bangkok, Patong in Phuket, Ao Nang in Krabi and Koh Samui in Surat Thani. "

Well then, superfluous this extension, me says! 

So Pattaya is no longer a popular tourist destination. Well the bars have been empty

11 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

Would be even better to void the ban of alcohol sale between 2 pm and 5 pm so tourist and everybody can enjoy holiday  and you can do your shopping in the afternoon to bring home.

THis ban have no real utility to stop people drinking ....

Or certain religious holidays

18 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Although damaging to the health even in small doses, when used responsibly it causes few social problems for 70% to 80% of users. In the west, severe penalties for dui curtailed the sport of drinking while drunk which was very popular for years. This country is way behind the west in law enforcement so my concern that they're making this drug more available at later times  thus more likely to being used when people are already drunk further impairing judgement. Many tourists rent scooters or cars and the combo of being drunk and unfamiliar with the roads/driving habits is brutal as we all have seen after living here for any length of time. If people didn't leave their brains at their airport it wouldn't be as much as a problem, but some think once they leave their womb of a country their need to be responsible ceases causing this selfish entitled behavor. 

Drinking while drunk how else am I supposed to get drunk ????

As I recall, they began prohibiting the sale of alcohol in the afternoon as too many civil servants were taking extra long lunches, enjoying drinks and Karaoke with their buddies and not returning to their offices until it was time to sign out.  All the empty desks, complaints from citizens that they couldn't get papers signed and official cars parked behind the drinking establishments finally pulled the curtain and so, of course, a country-wide ban for all and sundry was passed.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Classic. Just another example of the perpetual farang whiners "damned if they do and damned if they don't" response.

"They're killing tourism with their alcohol bans!!!"

Then...

"They're going to kill more people with less alcohol restrictions!!!"

Make your bloody minds up willya?!

AMAZING THAILAND

It is the bar smoking ban that is chasing away the Chinese, Japanese, French and the rest of the heavy smokers.  They can't even step out the door an have a smoke.  I am not a smoker, but I certainly know the dynamic.  A smoker that is drinking wants a smoke.  What's wrong with these people.  They always say they are not stupid, but . . .

57 minutes ago, Beggar said:

There are so many tourist destinations full of tourists and these destinations don't provide noise and sex at every corner. But obviously Thailand wants to go back to times before. But I hear many complaints by sex tourists that sex got pretty expensive here. I don't know since I never use such a service. And what I have watched was that sex tourists don't care much about closing times. They will take home the service person much earlier. 

I am unclear how plans to extend pub opening hours relate to your views on sex tourism. Since the closure of such places in CM, leaving the city dead after 11pm and the introduction of early closing time many of my younger friends dont come to Thailand for a holiday anymore, Spain, Portugal,  Poland,  Croatia all have a better club scene. Cambodia has a better club scene. The unelected authorities with their puritanical, myopic views have ruined Thailand for both Thai nationals and foreigners alike. Regarding tourists: its not really about numbers but repeat visitors. The awful display of the armed military parading around tourist areas accompanied by police is very intimidating as is the use of outdated drug laws to harrass people.

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Who really needs to drink between  2 am and 4 am ? Midnight and one for the road is ok if the road is walked but even in the '60s when I was a teen I needed home after midnight ,is there anyone on TV who would like a beer at 4am ?

"Who really needs to drink between  2 am and 4 am?"

Anyone who wants to, if you ask me.

I wonder why the Chinese prefer to visit countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau ?

It must be because it's cheaper to visit these places instead of Thailand (according to the expert Thai authorities ..)

It could have nothing to do with language would it ?

So much easier to go on holidays where you can understand whats being said and say what you want in your own language.

Just like when i take me 'ols from Birming'm and go to Blackpool 'n all.

2 minutes ago, The Preacher said:

It is the bar smoking ban that is chasing away the Chinese, Japanese, French and the rest of the heavy smokers.  They can't even step out the door an have a smoke.  I am not a smoker, but I certainly know the dynamic.  A smoker that is drinking wants a smoke.  What's wrong with these people.  They always say they are not stupid, but . . .

I am a drinker and my friends and I do not wanter to be near smokers. Most civilised countries have banned smoking, partly due to legal action taken by service staff owing to health issues. Smokers are similar to drunk drivers in that they are selfish and recklessly endanger the well being of other people. Once a smoking ban is introduced such as on aircraft in airports, in pubs ect it is amazing how quickly people get used to it. Who actually believes that aircraft or restaurants are a better environment when filled with stale cigarette smoke?

1 minute ago, Odisan said:

"Who really needs to drink between  2 am and 4 am?"

Anyone who wants to, if you ask me.

totally agree,i,m not an alcoholic,it,s the principle of being told what to do when i,m on holiday,besides perhaps the minister of sport is barking up the wrong tree if he thinks thats the reason for the demise of los,s demise in tourism,just have a look at the exchange rates,a lot of my mates [myself included] who used to spend a couple of months in thailand annually are looking elsewhere,thailand isn,t good value any more.will be out for 4 weeks in feb,2 weeks will be spent in vietnam.

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I am a drinker and my friends and I do not wanter to be near smokers. Most civilised countries have banned smoking, partly due to legal action taken by service staff owing to health issues. Smokers are similar to drunk drivers in that they are selfish and recklessly endanger the well being of other people. Once a smoking ban is introduced such as on aircraft in airports, in pubs ect it is amazing how quickly people get used to it. Who actually believes that aircraft or restaurants are a better environment when filled with stale cigarette smoke?

Then go to a non-smoking bar?

Freedom of choice, ever heard of?

Should be up to the owner to decide which clientele he wants and no one else, business freedom.

3 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Pattaya is already 4am or even sun rise ????

Thank god! Last year as I was leaving a bar in Pats  at 4am I joined a group of Thais who were just arriving on WS and we went on to a club. We left the club as the sun was rising and went on to a big beer bar with pool tables. I left a out 7am. Just like the old days. As I remember in Bangkok the decline started before the military coup but in fact started under Taksin. 

9 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

desperate times call for desperate measures from the minister of sports. we all know that alcohol improves sports performance. maybe engage brain before mouth next time.

drinking is a sport and so is chasing bar girls.....medals are awarded for who can drink the most and who can bed the most bar girls !!!

6 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Should be up to the owner to decide which clientele he wants and no one else, business freedom.

isn,t smoking in bars illegal in thailand?

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

There is something to be said for having a selection of bars offering non smoking and smoking environments to enable people to choose. But you still have issues of insurance, fire hazards to the health and safety of staff. After 10 ten days of eating in a sports bar in China I came back to Thailand coughing yellow phlegm and had bronchitis. I felt so sorry for the staff.

46 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

They keep saying banning smoking in Bars in the U.K. has killed the industry, nope it’s the high alcohol prices.

Banning smoking on flights hasn’t stopped people flying ?

45 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

"Should be up to the owner to decide which clientele he wants and no one else, business freedom."

Yep. 

When government start getting involved in sh** like this, they clearly haven't got much else to do.

44 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Smoking is banned in public places bars, restaurants, Fife’s etc in Thailand but like the wearing of crash hats it’s never enforced.

In fact it’s openly encouraged in most Bars as they put ash trays on the table.

Archived