Train derails going south - parts of the track found at second hand shop in Cha-Am

webfact

Train derails going south - parts of the track found at second hand shop in Cha-Am

2pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Found! The evidence at a shop dealing in second hand goods

Police have discovered railway track parts at a dealership in second hand goods in Cha-Am.

The discovery came after a southbound train derailed around midday on Monday. 

There were about 300 people on the Thonburi to Lang Suan train (number 255) when six out of the eight carriages derailed at 12.04pm between Huay Sai Tai and Hua Hin stations. 

2pm3.jpg

Picture: Daily News

No one was injured and the passengers took refuge from the midday heat in a tunnel. 

Worawut Mala of the State Railways of Thailand said that a large amount of restraining sheets and nails had been removed from the tracks and damage to concrete structures had been found over several hundred meters of the track. 

52BAB7A3-C44E-4C81-A0B3-9F2382A4BC77.jpg

4876E03C-ED0E-4968-A753-293E6DA836D1.jpg

Pictures: 77kaoded

Much of the removed items were found yesterday afternoon in the Rung Charoen second hand goods dealership in Cha-Am. 

Pol Maj-Gen Thianchai Khamapaso led a detail of police and SRT officials to the shop.

The trains south were running normally again by 1 am this morning. 

The hunt is now on for the people who stole the parts of the track. 

Sources: 77kaoded | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-20

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police have discovered railway track parts at a dealership in second hand goods in Cha-Am.

The discovery came after a southbound train derailed around midday on Monday. 

It's very lucky that no one was injured. Having said that, how come the police discovered the track parts only after the derailment?

I'm guessing someone must have ratted on the shop?

Reminds me of a horrible toad that I once worked with, he had previously served time for stealing a railway bridge, I kid you not.

He was then rampantly stealing from the company that we worked for. The last straw for a mate and I was when he, being our supervisor, lectured us on the subject of theft, telling us that it had to stop! It dod stop shortly afterwards as we reported his activity and he was sacked having been caught red-handed.

10 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

A sign of economic slowdown, people are getting desparate. Can we trust airport security, next thing they'll be cutting out pieces of tarmac from suwanapumi. 

Eh? I remember when I were a lad and robbers nicked lead off the local church roof.

People have been nicking copper wire off phone lines and power poles since, .... since phone lines and power poles were invented.

Stuff all to do with economic slowdown. There's thieves and then there's other thieves.

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It's very lucky that no one was injured. Having said that, how come the police discovered the track parts only after the derailment?

I'm guessing someone must have ratted on the shop?

I guess there are not many scrap metal dealers in Cha-Am. First place to look when metal part gets stolen would be scrap metal shops.

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Reminds me of a horrible toad that I once worked with, he had previously served time for stealing a railway bridge, I kid you not.

He was then rampantly stealing from the company that we worked for. The last straw for a mate and I was when he, being our supervisor, lectured us on the subject of theft, telling us that it had to stop! It dod stop shortly afterwards as we reported his activity and he was sacked having been caught red-handed.

How on earth can someone steal a railway bridge?

Man nabbed over theft of rail screws that caused train to derail in Phetchaburi

By THE NATION

800_6fa54f67560bea6.jpg?v=1566285462

Photo credit: Thairath

Phetchaburi police have arrested a man who allegedly stole many metal screws needed to help hold the rails in place on a section of local track– an act which caused derailments of six cars in a train service on Monday.

screw01.JPG

The suspect is identified as Sompong Khlaikhlueng, 54. Police are looking for a man who helped remove the screws.

screw02.JPG

Police received a tip-off from a metal scrapping yard, which bought 66 screws and 20 metal plates that are used to hold rails in place, from Sompong and the second suspect.

Police also seized a pick-up truck that Sompong drove to the scavenger shop located in Cha-am district in order to sell the stolen items.

An eight-car train derailed in Phetchaburi province on Monday as a result of the large number of screws and other attachment devices that were removed from a 342-metre rail section.

Six cars of the train travelling from Lang Suan to Thon Buri swerved off the railway. There were no injuries, but the derailment caused a huge congestion of train traffic as well as a hectic transfer of more than 200 passengers to another train.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375050

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-20

Ya can’t make up this stuff. 

I don’t care how broke u are, common sense and decency shld prevail. 
Obviously these people that committed this crime have neither of those or money. 
Losers.

i hope they are prosecuted heavier than petty theft!!

41 minutes ago, transam said:

And the scrap dealer didn't have a clue where the items came from...????

no doubt a common occurance, and it took only a little time for a simple deduction:

as to 'which' incident they came from?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Police received a tip-off from a metal scrapping yard, which bought 66 screws and 20 metal plates that are used to hold rails in place, from Sompong and the second suspect.

I bet he tipped them off. I would suggest the "tip off" came during a police interview where he was explaining to the local police where the railway items he had in his possession had come from.

Hope they find the folks who stole the parts and give em heavy jail time and make them work every day repairing tracks in shame producing pink overalls so everyone knows who they are. And! Advertise n post photos of em doing so for all to see.

3 hours ago, JayBangkok said:

How on earth can someone steal a railway bridge?

Apparently he was the foreman for a group of guys who were tasked with dismantling and removing an old cast iron footbridge, however he got them to "remove" it to a scrapyard rather than to where he ought to have done. Later on somebody noticed it wasn't where it should have been. I guess they didn't 'cover their tracks' well enough.

It looks to me as if the Guy that nicked the Chair Plate Screws has done everybody a huge favour.

Most of them seem from the Photos, to be damaged and are were in dire need of replacement before failure.

This guy should work for the Railway Company as a preventative Maintenance Engineer.

Thank God nobody was killed due to his activities.

I'm surprised the Thai idiot didn't take the metal from the tunnel or a bridge.  Isn't it amazing, the level of stupidity of some of these people?  You cannot convince me that inside that 54 year-old head, that there is a working brain.

7 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It looks to me as if the Guy that nicked the Chair Plate Screws has done everybody a huge favour.

Most of them seem from the Photos, to be damaged and are were in dire need of replacement before failure.

This guy should work for the Railway Company as a preventative Maintenance Engineer.

Thank God nobody was killed due to his activities.

You're obviously in the know about this - I have no idea.

If they are in need of replacement, how can we be sure the SRT will fit new ones, rather than reuse the discovered old ones?

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You're obviously in the know about this - I have no idea.

If they are in need of replacement, how can we be sure the SRT will fit new ones, rather than reuse the discovered old ones?

You cannot.  Why do you think the Thais team up with foreign engineering firms to build the BTS extensions?  They're incapable of doing it themselves.

Archived