Train derails going south - parts of the track found at second hand shop in Cha-Am

webfact

I actually call the locals thaikeys and they remind me of pikeys in the uk.theiving rats with no morals that'll nick anything that ain't screwed down and always fight 10 on to 1.they even drive around the houses with their overpriced rubbish,beds,furniture,guttering,ladders with a rake of unwashed sprogs and a daag the same in the uk.

this chap is probably so tick he couldn't foresee what would happen when he nicked the rail plates.

2 hours ago, transam said:

And the scrap dealer didn't have a clue where the items came from...????

Actually back in the old days in Oz it was easy to "pick up" the plates and screws left over from recent work. The Thais are probably worse in having more than they need for the job and just leave them as it would be too hard to take them to the next job.

But yes, unbelievable that they would take those already fitted. Could be lao khao involved.

Looks by the fresh gravel/rock that the line had been worked on recently. Parts at second hand shop probably surplus from tracks that were upgraded/repaired/fixed. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that these used parts were even from that section of track.

Suspected thief says he stole railway pins and steel plates to get cash

Rail-suspect.jpg

Mr. Sompong Klaikloeng , the man arrested by Phetchaburi provincial police for allegedly stealing railway pins and steel plates, causing a south-bound train to derail at noon on Monday, has admitted to the police that he did not intend the derail the train, but only meant to trade the stolen objects for cash.

Police say they remain skeptical about his story and are continuing to question him.

The Thon Buri-Lang Suan train left Bangkok on Monday and was derailed as it was travelling between Huay Tan and Hua Hin stations.  There were no injuries.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/suspected-thief-says-he-stole-railway-pins-and-steel-plates-to-get-cash/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-08-21

had some pretty aged railroad tracks in my home town.  Trains still used them but they were not passenger trains.  Just some local freight trains.  But the railroad tracks in Northeast USA were subject to weather, frost heaves, rain, snow, heat, bugs etc.  I used to walk along the tracks, North Chelmsford Mass for example was very scenic.  wooded area, beautiful in the fall, a few clearings over looking the Merrimack river.  The railroad ties were rotten wood.  The spikes in general were all loose from years of flexing and frost heaves.  My god I can't imagine having passenger trains using such things at speed.

15 hours ago, DoctorG said:

This appears to be being treated like common theft, when it actually had the potential to kill and maim many.

Exactly. It should be treated as Attempted Murder with the weight of all the passengers who were on board. 

Alas, this is Thailand, and the criminals, if ever identified, will be not to do it again and fined a few hundred Baht.

No deterrent at all.

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Eh? I remember when I were a lad and robbers nicked lead off the local church roof.

People have been nicking copper wire off phone lines and power poles since, .... since phone lines and power poles were invented.

Stuff all to do with economic slowdown. There's thieves and then there's other thieves.

Copper thieves and a power pole (Texas, USA):

image006.jpg?w=584

Those rail tie plates are what keep the rails in alignment and allow them to expand and contract longitudinally as temperatures change.

42 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Copper thieves and a power pole (Texas, USA):

image006.jpg?w=584

Those rail tie plates are what keep the rails in alignment and allow them to expand and contract longitudinally as temperatures change.

There was a similar failed theft attempt of power cable on Third Road in Pattaya about fifteen years ago.

Charred remains of the thief, along with metal snips he attempted to use to cut the live power cable.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Exactly. It should be treated as Attempted Murder with the weight of all the passengers who were on board. 

Alas, this is Thailand, and the criminals, if ever identified, will be not to do it again and fined a few hundred Baht.

No deterrent at all.

Where I'm from (USA), there is a crime called reckless endangerment. I have never heard of it in Thailand. Seems to fit better than attempted murder, in which intent must be proved.

17 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Where I'm from (USA), there is a crime called reckless endangerment. I have never heard of it in Thailand. Seems to fit better than attempted murder, in which intent must be proved.

Good point. You are correct and I was wrong. Reckless endangerment would be the proper charge.

Archived