Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

E-cigarettes cause brain damage and cancer, reports Thai media

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Just to add to the "debate" especially among the nay-sayers, the following was just put up on MSN, 10:50 a.m., 21 August, 2019, Canadian time and date.

 

A new study is the latest to show changes in cardiovascular function after vaping e-liquids, though in this case, those liquids didn't even contain nicotine.

The study, published Tuesday in the journal Radiology, concluded that vaping temporarily impacts blood vessel function in healthy people. Using MRI scans, it found, for example, changes in blood flow within the femoral artery in the leg after just one use. The researchers couldn't determine which chemical might be responsible for the changes they observed.

"After a few minutes, everything normalizes. One could say, big deal, nothing happens," said study author Felix W. Wehrli, professor of radiologic science and biophysics at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine.

"But if someone vapes regularly," Wehrli continued, there's a possibility that, over time, things might not go back to normal as readily. The changes his team measured in 31 people, who had never vaped or smoked, reflect "the same processes ... known to be initiating steps in the development of cardiovascular disease," including atherosclerosis. But that takes years to develop, he added.

The study is the most recent addition to a proliferation of research aiming to measure the impact of e-cigarettes on the heart, blood vessels, lungs and brain. But experts say the research remains in its early stages, often taking place in the lab or in animals.

study in May, for example, found evidence that e-cigarette flavors had toxic effects -- including poorer cell survival and signs of increased inflammation -- on a type of cardiovascular cell in the lab.

"The use of e-cigarettes is increasing and the data demonstrating potential harm ... is also growing," doctors from the University of Massachusetts Medical School said in a commentary published alongside the May study. "In addition to harm from the nicotine, the additives are a potential source of adverse vascular health and one that is being disproportionately placed on the young."

 

Its all good, why what about doing a study on smokers and then compare to vapers.?

 

No one ever said people should start vaping or people should pick up vaping instead of smoking.

 

What i am saying and i think most pro vapers are saying is that for smokers to change over to vaping is by far healthier alternative.

 

Kids or grown ups who want to smoke or vape will smoke or vape irrespective of what any study says, but people who are addicted to smoking, may find it healthier to change to vaping and that is what matters

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The vaping propaganda is similar to the tobacco lobby who denied the  relationship between smoking and ill health. The large, dense clouds of smoke spewed out by vapers is disgusting.

Mmmmmmmmmm, clouds. But I think you're right, being perpertually disgusted might lead to high blood pressure and stress and that certainly will make your life shorter. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

Just to add to the "debate" especially among the nay-sayers, the following was just put up on MSN, 10:50 a.m., 21 August, 2019, Canadian time and date.

 

A new study is the latest to show changes in cardiovascular function after vaping e-liquids, though in this case, those liquids didn't even contain nicotine.

The study, published Tuesday in the journal Radiology, concluded that vaping temporarily impacts blood vessel function in healthy people. Using MRI scans, it found, for example, changes in blood flow within the femoral artery in the leg after just one use. The researchers couldn't determine which chemical might be responsible for the changes they observed.

"After a few minutes, everything normalizes. One could say, big deal, nothing happens," said study author Felix W. Wehrli, professor of radiologic science and biophysics at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine.

"But if someone vapes regularly," Wehrli continued, there's a possibility that, over time, things might not go back to normal as readily. The changes his team measured in 31 people, who had never vaped or smoked, reflect "the same processes ... known to be initiating steps in the development of cardiovascular disease," including atherosclerosis. But that takes years to develop, he added.

The study is the most recent addition to a proliferation of research aiming to measure the impact of e-cigarettes on the heart, blood vessels, lungs and brain. But experts say the research remains in its early stages, often taking place in the lab or in animals.

study in May, for example, found evidence that e-cigarette flavors had toxic effects -- including poorer cell survival and signs of increased inflammation -- on a type of cardiovascular cell in the lab.

"The use of e-cigarettes is increasing and the data demonstrating potential harm ... is also growing," doctors from the University of Massachusetts Medical School said in a commentary published alongside the May study. "In addition to harm from the nicotine, the additives are a potential source of adverse vascular health and one that is being disproportionately placed on the young."

 

I think it is a responsible study.   The key is to distinguish between temporary and chronic effects.  From the evidence, we can see that there is certainly a return to normal.  At least it is not one of those petri-dish tests that is mentioned later, and prove nothing.

 

'One could say, big deal, nothing happens'

 

Indeed!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, JustAnotherFarang said:

Just like with mysticism and spirirtualism, thais need no scientific proof before making up their dull minds. 

Can you make your point without brazenly insulting our hosts? This is not a private room in a pub where you are together with friends of your own kind. This website is based in Thailand and is readable by everyone (including the government to whom you must apply for permission to stay). There are surely many Thais reading this site. Would you stay in someone's house and insult your hosts behind their backs? Why are you even in Thailand if you have such contemptuous attitude towards the population?

It's not just you, I know. There are other examples in this thread and many other threads. Please put a cork in it, for all our sakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thedemon said:

 

I wonder what happens if they do the same MRI after eating a cheese sandwich. I guess that hasn't been tested yet.

 

In fact, I wonder if just the change in breathing pattern might effect some change.

 

I assume they checked that.... then again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

 

In fact, I wonder if just the change in breathing pattern might effect some change.

 

I assume they checked that.... then again!

Bingo.

 

Quote

Like many laboratory tests, the parameters of this study didn’t exactly match the real world. In an emailed statement, Juul, the San Francisco-based e-cigarette company that controls more than 70 percent of the US market, points out that the study “called for a forced puffing regime that is unrealistically high in volume with very limited time between puffs.”

The effects seen in this study, however, were short-lived. The participants regained their normal vascular function in a couple of hours.

It’s also true that these vascular responses aren’t unique to smoking. Lots of behaviors and environmental factors can trigger blood vessels to constrict, without causing harm. “A host of other activities, including exercise and caffeine use, have been shown to impact vascular activity acutely, but these short-term changes don't necessarily have any long-term prognostic value,” says Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, an organization that promotes vaping products.

 

Including EXCERCISE and CAFFEINE.

 

Ok guys, no more SPORT AND COFFE, no TEE either.

 

Just another bs study.

 

1 hour ago, JamesBlond said:

Can you make your point without brazenly insulting our hosts? This is not a private room in a pub where you are together with friends of your own kind. This website is based in Thailand and is readable by everyone (including the government to whom you must apply for permission to stay). There are surely many Thais reading this site. Would you stay in someone's house and insult your hosts behind their backs? Why are you even in Thailand if you have such contemptuous attitude towards the population?

It's not just you, I know. There are other examples in this thread and many other threads. Please put a cork in it, for all our sakes.

 

No, but if he wants i debate him on an open panel live on TV about this.

A good ol scientific debate, let's do it. I am happy to invite a bunch of german, uk and US scientist paid out of my own money as a guests.

 

 

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

Can you make your point without brazenly insulting our hosts? 

It's hard to make a point when the "hosts" (Loce the word by the way, makes us aliens some sort of fungi) take straight up unsweetened rational thought as an insult.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Well just for the good doctors information,everybody I mean everybody smokes in Chiang Mai for 3 to 4 months of the year including infants.LOL

Try banning that for starters would be a good help to reducing respiratory problems.

Or the burning of trash and plastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...