Khon Kaen: Nothing wrong with novice monks playing video games

webfact

Nothing wrong with novice monks playing video games

7pm1.jpg

Thailand's religious affairs department has said that it is OK for novice monks to play video games. 

The comments come after netizens wondered about the appropriateness of the activity when four novices were pictured receiving prizes at a competition held at the University of Khon Kaen in Thailand's north-east at the weekend. 

The novices had won top prize playing "Speed Drifter" a car driving video game.

7pm2.jpg

Contrary to online speculation they were not playing ROV, said the organizers saying that signage gave the wrong impression leading to a misunderstanding. 

ROV or Realm of Valor is a more violent game. 

However, the organizers did admit that other novices were playing ROV, but they didn't win. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-20

The article misses the salient point, namely how many hours in the day do they play these games for?

Given that they won the competition, the answer is probably more rather than less.

And what about physical activity? Is this being marginalised?

Netizens have every right to question the appropriateness of this activity.

First, let me say, novice monks are not monks.  Most of them are in it for the short haul.  3 or 4 months of Phansa.  You have to be 20 years old to be a monk.  

Second, this is ridiculous, they are there to learn the teachings of Buddha.  I'm pretty sure Buddha didn't have any video games to teach his followers on.  

Third, the abbot should have his butt chewed out for this behavior of his novice monks. I could understand if he was teaching them reading, writing and arithmetic, but video games, no way.  

Fourth, what the hell was he thinking? 

23 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

First, let me say, novice monks are not monks.  Most of them are in it for the short haul.  3 or 4 months of Phansa.  You have to be 20 years old to be a monk.  

Second, this is ridiculous, they are there to learn the teachings of Buddha.  I'm pretty sure Buddha didn't have any video games to teach his followers on.  

Third, the abbot should have his butt chewed out for this behavior of his novice monks. I could understand if he was teaching them reading, writing and arithmetic, but video games, no way.  

Fourth, what the hell was he thinking? 

Nice to hear that you care about what mister Buddha allegedly said, but then, you are farang right?

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Nice to hear that you care about what mister Buddha allegedly said, but then, you are farang right?

Are you flapping your lips just to be flapping your lips?  I never said anything about what the Buddha allegedly said.  And yes, I'm a farang.  Please continue.  

Archived