Jump to content

Thailand: An unequal society even when it comes to appalling road carnage, foreign media


webfact

Recommended Posts

Thailand: An unequal society even when it comes to appalling road carnage, foreign media
 
fff.jpg
File photo
 
The New York Times has said that Thailand is one of the most unequal societies in the world. 
 
And the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" is in sharp focus in connection with the annual carnage on the nation's roads. 
 
In the latest in a series, an article entitled "Thailand's roads are deadly. Especially if you are poor" looks at the mayhem on the kingdom's roads and the consequences. 
 
It states that Thailand is the second most deadly place on earth to drive in and the worst place on the planet for motorcycle accidents. 
 
But the rich often walk free from responsibility and the poor are suffering. 
 
The story was posted online yesterday. 
 
Hannah Beech, the author of the story, has been the NYT Southeast Asia bureau chief since 2017, based in Bangkok. 
 
 
thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-20
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange article this one. While the poor are definitely statistically over-represented in the road deaths - avoidable things such as not wearing helmets, driving at excessive speed and habitual drink driving does not help their cause. For every poor person who gets mowed down by a rich person in a BMW, I bet there are 100 times more who die in an avoidable manner as a result of their own actions (or inactions).

 

Absolutely concur that the rich are far less likely to face justice or be punished though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This report will fall on deaf ears here.....anyone with any power to change things will ignore it....Thai,s know best and outside opinions are never considered  :whistling:

Link to post
Share on other sites

“It’s hard to convince people to stop for us when they are not used to stopping,” said Maj. Gen. Jirasunt Kaewsaengeak, the deputy commissioner of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police

😂😂

“The big factor is law enforcement,” Mr. Chayabol said. “We have to make people realize that by violating the law they will face severe consequences.”

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

“It’s hard to convince people to stop for us when they are not used to stopping,” said Maj. Gen. Jirasunt Kaewsaengeak, the deputy commissioner of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police

😂😂

“The big factor is law enforcement,” Mr. Chayabol said. “We have to make people realize that by violating the law they will face severe consequences.”

👍

Unless you are rich, have the right parents or know the right people

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, petermik said:

This report will fall on deaf ears here.....anyone with any power to change things will ignore it....Thai,s know best and outside opinions are never considered  :whistling:

"outside opinions are never considered" to be wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I don't hear too many locals complaining, comes with the indoctrination from birth that they live in the best country on earth!

 

The Thai Forums, such as Pantip.com are rife with Thai's complaining of such matters. 

 

I am frequently exposed to Thai's who complain of and discuss such matters, the difference is perhaps that they appear less 'emotionally attached' to their arguments when discussing such issues and instead appear that they care less, perhaps that is true or it may be that when generalizing Thai's have learnt not to become emotionally burdened by issues beyond their control

 

The indoctrination you mention may well just be a degree of light heartedness which is part of the attraction here for many of us... Thai's don't quite whinge as well as us Westerners who are from countries that would see many protesting up and down the nation under similar circumstances [appalling road death stats].

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I don't hear too many locals complaining, comes with the indoctrination from birth that they live in the best country on earth!

 

really? my thai friends are incredibly frustrated and angry about the state of contemporary thai society; exactly as stated in the article they hate way the rich get away with behaving as they want with little or no retribution and feel powerless in the face of the rampant corruption.

 

and no thais i know who have lived or travelled abroad think thailand is the best country in the world, they are all too aware of the failings in their motherland.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, SammyT said:

Strange article this one. While the poor are definitely statistically over-represented in the road deaths - avoidable things such as not wearing helmets, driving at excessive speed and habitual drink driving does not help their cause. For every poor person who gets mowed down by a rich person in a BMW, I bet there are 100 times more who die in an avoidable manner as a result of their own actions (or inactions).

 

Absolutely concur that the rich are far less likely to face justice or be punished though. 

I would probably agree with you that it's a strange article, if I could read it, which I can't as it's behind a paywall. At least for me it is and incognito browsing doesn't work either.

 

Also true that the rich are far more likely to escape justice, I just happen to believe that is also true of most countries in most circumstances, just more obvious in Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

 

really? my thai friends are incredibly frustrated and angry about the state of contemporary thai society; exactly as stated in the article they hate way the rich get away with behaving as they want with little or no retribution and feel powerless in the face of the rampant corruption.

 

and no thais i know who have lived or travelled abroad think thailand is the best country in the world, they are all too aware of the failings in their motherland.

Absolutely. And the fact that there are so few channels to express that anger and frustration without fear of retribution....go figure. I think it comes back to a quote often attributed to Abraham Lincoln:

 

"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

 

If that was true in Abe's time I would wager it holds up even more in a time when even those who do not travel access social media for their news, often via VPN's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

The Thai Forums, such as Pantip.com are rife with Thai's complaining of such matters. 

 

I am frequently exposed to Thai's who complain of and discuss such matters, the difference is perhaps that they appear less 'emotionally attached' to their arguments when discussing such issues and instead appear that they care less, perhaps that is true or it may be that when generalizing Thai's have learnt not to become emotionally burdened by issues beyond their control

 

The indoctrination you mention may well just be a degree of light heartedness which is part of the attraction here for many of us... Thai's don't quite whinge as well as us Westerners who are from countries that would see many protesting up and down the nation under similar circumstances [appalling road death stats].

 

 

Thais get the opportunity to whinge at what is called an election. But most have no idea what an election is so they lose the opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Thais get the opportunity to whinge at what is called an election. But most have no idea what an election is so they lose the opportunity.

I only ever hear them whinge that there's not enough poo dam in their somtam!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...