Villagers unite to stop Mae Hong Son marathon, cite forest damage from last run

webfact

Villagers unite to stop Mae Hong Son marathon, cite forest damage from last run

By Tossapol Boonpat

The Nation

800_e3b6690838bb90e.jpg?v=1566284644

Residents of Mae Hong Son’s Pai district are objecting to a 100-kilometre running marathon that is being co-organised by the provincial tourism authority.

They object to the event, to be held across Mae Hee-Mae Yen forestland, as they claim a similar previous event held without the consent of villages had left the forestlands in a damaged and garbage-filled condition, and forced the villagers to clean up afterwards. 

The unanimous objection to the marathon came from a public forum held on Monday night, which was attended by 230 residents from Ban Mae Yen (Moo 1), Ban Sai Khao (Moo 2) and Ban Mae Hee (Moo 5) villages of Tambon Mae Hee, as well as by representatives from three other villages. 

The event will be officially proposed to the Pai District meeting on August 23. 

The forum was also witnessed by Tambon Mae Hee Administrative Organisation president Somboon Phromrangsi and tambon council chairman Suwit Jantamanee. 

Organisers of the proposed marathon were aiming to use the route from Chiang Mai’s Mae Taeng district to Ban Muang Khong to Ban Doi Chang to Huai Nam Dung national park to Ban Mae Hee forest to Wat Sai Khao’s Bridge to Ban Paem Bok, and on to the finish line at the Pai Memorial Bridge.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375049

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-20

A real marathon is 42 km and 195 m (distance between Marathon and Athens). I have never heard of the 100 km marathon; that is the distance between Marathon and Athens, and back again with a couple of site-seeing trips on the way...

54 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

A real marathon is 42 km and 195 m (distance between Marathon and Athens). I have never heard of the 100 km marathon; that is the distance between Marathon and Athens, and back again with a couple of site-seeing trips on the way...

ultramarathon.  50km or 100km off-road trail running.

http://www.runthailand.com/race/thailand-ultramarathon-100-km-2014/

13 hours ago, JulesMad said:

A real marathon is 42 km and 195 m

Yes, you are nearly correct on that point.  However, it is not the distance from Marathon to Athens.  Supposedly, the original distance covered from Marathon to Athens, is a distance of about 40 kilometers, or nearly 25 miles.  At the 1908 Games in London the race was made slightly longer allegedly at the request of Queen Alexandra for the race to start on the lawn of Windsor Castle and finish in front of the royal box at the Olympic stadium—a distance of 26.2 miles and 385 yards (42.195 kilometers).  This, in 1921, became the official standard distance for the race and has been so ever since.

'nuf sed.

3 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Yes, you are nearly correct on that point.  However, it is not the distance from Marathon to Athens.  Supposedly, the original distance covered from Marathon to Athens, is a distance of about 40 kilometers, or nearly 25 miles.  At the 1908 Games in London the race was made slightly longer allegedly at the request of Queen Alexandra for the race to start on the lawn of Windsor Castle and finish in front of the royal box at the Olympic stadium—a distance of 26.2 miles and 385 yards (42.195 kilometers).  This, in 1921, became the official standard distance for the race and has been so ever since.

'nuf sed.

So sorry, but you are incorrect. I have had a classical education, and had to study Latin and Greek, so we had to memorize these little facts.

Wikipedia confirms my data: The marathon is a long-distance race with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres. The event was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens, who reported the victory.

'nuf sed ????

1 hour ago, JulesMad said:

So sorry, but you are incorrect. I have had a classical education, and had to study Latin and Greek, so we had to memorize these little facts.

Wikipedia confirms my data: The marathon is a long-distance race with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres. The event was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens, who reported the victory.

'nuf sed ????

I think wotsdermatter's post went right over your head! Of course the original race distance was based on the original approx distance to Athens, but the modern day exact distance was arrived at exactly as described in his/her post ???? 

Archived