Cheap wine and beer

Baht Simpson

I was in Makro today and noticed that they had Nadin 22 Chardonnay on sale at 242 baht a bottle. It's a decent price considering it's 299 in Lotus and 345 in Big C. I can't recommend it as I haven't tried it yet but I've seen on here that people reckon it to be decent for a fruit wine. 

What I can recommend is the Weihenstephaner Vitus they have on sale at 190 baht a 500ml. bottle. That's a fair price as it's expensive even in the U. K. and not always easy to find. 

IMG_20190811_160721.jpg

Screenshot_20190820-154347.jpg

There some excellent beers in this range that I've enjoyed:

Paulaner Salvator  7.9 ABV

Pauwel Kwak  8.4

Chimay Blue Grande Reserve  9.0

Tripel Karmeliet  8.4

Duvel   8.5

and many more. Even Lao Dark is 6.5.

The highest I've had recently is Kasteel Donker in Vientiane at 11. That's a bit too much to be honest.  I drink for taste and not for effect so I drink in moderation.  The Vitus will be savoured with some food.

Cheers Peterbilt.

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

Pauwel Kwak  8.4

Tripel Karmeliet  8.4

Duvel   8.5

The highest I've had recently is Kasteel Donker in Vientiane at 11. That's a bit too much to be honest.  I drink for taste and not for effect so I drink in moderation.  The Vitus will be savoured with some food.

Cheers Peterbilt.

Tapper is 6.5 ABV, and Bht 53 for 500ml can. Also Cheers 6%. Both OK after a few!

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Don't forget to add 7% VAT. That's Bht 17 more!   LOL

VAT is included in the 242 bht, wg. That Cheers you speak of is the X-tra I believe. It's middling but probably better after a few as you say. Tapper is o.k. for the price.

I used to go to a bar that sold Vitus, he charged 175 baht, this was about a year ago, unfortunately he stopped selling it. Whether I could justify 195 baht to put it in my fridge, I'm not sure, if I could afford to, most definately, it is the nectar of the gods.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I used to go to a bar that sold Vitus, he charged 175 baht, this was about a year ago, unfortunately he stopped selling it. Whether I could justify 195 baht to put it in my fridge, I'm not sure, if I could afford to, most definately, it is the nectar of the gods.

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/beer/country/germany/weihenstephaner-vitus

They've been brewing since 1040 so they must be getting the hang of it now. ???? All the Weihenstephaner beers I've had have been excellent.

weihenstephan-logo (1).jpg

12 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/beer/country/germany/weihenstephaner-vitus

They've been brewing since 1040 so they must be getting the hang of it now. ???? All the Weihenstephaner beers I've had have been excellent.

weihenstephan-logo (1).jpg

I believe it is cited as being the oldest brewery in the world, and long may it keep brewing great beer.

Oops, just noticed the sign that says the same.☺️

7 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Pauwel Kwak  8.4

Tripel Karmeliet  8.4

Duvel   8.5

Cheers Peterbilt.

Well, looks to me that you are a beer connoisseur. ????
I know all of them with one exeption, the Pauwel Kwak
The Chimay Blue and Tripel Karmeliet are even available at the local booze store here in my small town in Germany.
I also already enjoyed a (small) bottle of Kasteel Donker in Pattaya (!). There's a bar named Roadhouse 13 in Soi 13 / 3rd Rd (often called Soi Nam Kaeng) run by a belgian biker. He has a good selection of strong and very strong belgian beers available.
The Donker is a malty sledgehammer, but I use to drink (sometimes even slurp...) it pretty slow and enjoy that flavour explosion on my tongue.

IMG_20190126_145305.thumb.jpg.2f4dcba71f95874600112526ad6f3fa7.jpg

I call this "holy trinity" - a trappist double, a triple and a quadruple..... (La Trappe is a trappist beer from the Netherlands)

1946424004_2018-11-1123_27_37.thumb.jpg.1b60944dd5c2cf34502efc94f2b1223e.jpg

1829730867_2018-11-2122_39_22.thumb.jpg.63015240625af23239df232c2462df68.jpg

2018-12-22 16.11.19.jpg

20171101_110616.thumb.jpg.eadfca9ce3e48cdf5e2ad2d58ddb18aa.jpgI've tried all the Kasteels in Vientiane. They're all good. 

The Beer House is a great place to pick up some rarer beers, although it's not cheap. Cloud 9 shop has a good selection of craft beers.

People rave about the white Chimay but the red is my favourite. Getting the better beers in Thailand without paying the earth is a challenge, especially out here in the sticks. The Chalawan beers I've tried have been good so far. 

20170803_102042.jpg

Beer House.jpg

14 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

20171101_110616.thumb.jpg.eadfca9ce3e48cdf5e2ad2d58ddb18aa.jpgI've tried all the Kasteels in Vientiane. They're all good. 

The Beer House is a great place to pick up some rarer beers, although it's not cheap. Cloud 9 shop has a good selection of craft beers.

People rave about the white Chimay but the red is my favourite. Getting the better beers in Thailand without paying the earth is a challenge, especially out here in the sticks. The Chalawan beers I've tried have been good so far. 

20170803_102042.jpg

Beer House.jpg

All very interesting....but where's the Guinness? I'm a newbie, only been here 14 months but I've never seen it.

7 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

All very interesting....but where's the Guinness? I'm a newbie, only been here 14 months but I've never seen it.

If you want draught Guinness BRUFC  you're  in the wrong country.  You might be able to get it in cans but Guinness doesn't travel well.  There are some decent stouts to be found though.  

I brought some cans back from Myawaddy, Myanmar a few years ago. Decent price but canned Guinness is average. 

66035595_2537920936218236_5471179454770315264_n.jpg

48 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

If you want draught Guinness BRUFC  you're  in the wrong country.  You might be able to get it in cans but Guinness doesn't travel well.  There are some decent stouts to be found though.  

I brought some cans back from Myawaddy, Myanmar a few years ago. Decent price but canned Guinness is average. 

66035595_2537920936218236_5471179454770315264_n.jpg

Thanks Baht, but not really interested in the draught.....there may be a bar or two in nearest town but I'd have to drive, so I don't even look for them. It was the cans or bottles I was after, but I always have to decide whether or not to pay what I think is an 'extortionate' price, whatever the item. With Guinness I've been without for months now so I can go without 'for ever', if I don't consider it value to buy. Thanks again.

Archived