Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

I was in Makro today and noticed that they had Nadin 22 Chardonnay on sale at 242 baht a bottle. It's a decent price considering it's 299 in Lotus and 345 in Big C. I can't recommend it as I haven't tried it yet but I've seen on here that people reckon it to be decent for a fruit wine. 

 

What I can recommend is the Weihenstephaner Vitus they have on sale at 190 baht a 500ml. bottle. That's a fair price as it's expensive even in the U. K. and not always easy to find. 

IMG_20190811_160721.jpg

Screenshot_20190820-154347.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please be aware that the "Vitus" wheat beer comes with 7.7%abv (15.4 proof).
Its a really strong beer.......

Source: Brewerys website

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There some excellent beers in this range that I've enjoyed:

 

Paulaner Salvator  7.9 ABV

Pauwel Kwak  8.4

Chimay Blue Grande Reserve  9.0

Tripel Karmeliet  8.4

Duvel   8.5

 

and many more. Even Lao Dark is 6.5.

 

The highest I've had recently is Kasteel Donker in Vientiane at 11. That's a bit too much to be honest.  I drink for taste and not for effect so I drink in moderation.  The Vitus will be savoured with some food.

 

Cheers Peterbilt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

There some excellent beers in this range that I've enjoyed:

 

Paulaner Salvator  7.9 ABV

Pauwel Kwak  8.4

Chimay Blue Grande Reserve  9.0

Tripel Karmeliet  8.4

Duvel   8.5

 

and many more. Even Lao Dark is 6.5.

 

The highest I've had recently is Kasteel Donker in Vientiane at 11. That's a bit too much to be honest.  I drink for taste and not for effect so I drink in moderation.  The Vitus will be savoured with some food.

 

Cheers Peterbilt.

Tapper is 6.5 ABV, and Bht 53 for 500ml can. Also Cheers 6%. Both OK after a few!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

they had Nadin 22 Chardonnay on sale at 242 baht a bottle

Don't forget to add 7% VAT. That's Bht 17 more!   LOL

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Don't forget to add 7% VAT. That's Bht 17 more!   LOL

 

 

VAT is included in the 242 bht, wg. That Cheers you speak of is the X-tra I believe. It's middling but probably better after a few as you say. Tapper is o.k. for the price.

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to go to a bar that sold Vitus, he charged 175 baht, this was about a year ago, unfortunately he stopped selling it. Whether I could justify 195 baht to put it in my fridge, I'm not sure, if I could afford to, most definately, it is the nectar of the gods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I used to go to a bar that sold Vitus, he charged 175 baht, this was about a year ago, unfortunately he stopped selling it. Whether I could justify 195 baht to put it in my fridge, I'm not sure, if I could afford to, most definately, it is the nectar of the gods.

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/beer/country/germany/weihenstephaner-vitus

 

They've been brewing since 1040 so they must be getting the hang of it now. 🙂 All the Weihenstephaner beers I've had have been excellent.

 

weihenstephan-logo (1).jpg

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

 

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/beer/country/germany/weihenstephaner-vitus

 

They've been brewing since 1040 so they must be getting the hang of it now. 🙂 All the Weihenstephaner beers I've had have been excellent.

 

weihenstephan-logo (1).jpg

I believe it is cited as being the oldest brewery in the world, and long may it keep brewing great beer.

Oops, just noticed the sign that says the same.☺️

 

Edited by vogie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can buy 12 cans of Cheers xtra for 520 baht and only 2.5 bottles of Vitus for the sameish price, I wish I was rich. 😖

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

There some excellent beers in this range that I've enjoyed:

 

Paulaner Salvator  7.9 ABV

Pauwel Kwak  8.4

Chimay Blue Grande Reserve  9.0

Tripel Karmeliet  8.4

Duvel   8.5

 

and many more. Even Lao Dark is 6.5.

 

The highest I've had recently is Kasteel Donker in Vientiane at 11. That's a bit too much to be honest.  I drink for taste and not for effect so I drink in moderation.  The Vitus will be savoured with some food.

 

Cheers Peterbilt.

Well, looks to me that you are a beer connoisseur. 👍
I know all of them with one exeption, the Pauwel Kwak
The Chimay Blue and Tripel Karmeliet are even available at the local booze store here in my small town in Germany.
I also already enjoyed a (small) bottle of Kasteel Donker in Pattaya (!). There's a bar named Roadhouse 13 in Soi 13 / 3rd Rd (often called Soi Nam Kaeng) run by a belgian biker. He has a good selection of strong and very strong belgian beers available.
The Donker is a malty sledgehammer, but I use to drink (sometimes even slurp...) it pretty slow and enjoy that flavour explosion on my tongue.

 

IMG_20190126_145305.thumb.jpg.2f4dcba71f95874600112526ad6f3fa7.jpg

I call this "holy trinity" - a trappist double, a triple and a quadruple..... (La Trappe is a trappist beer from the Netherlands)

1946424004_2018-11-1123_27_37.thumb.jpg.1b60944dd5c2cf34502efc94f2b1223e.jpg

1829730867_2018-11-2122_39_22.thumb.jpg.63015240625af23239df232c2462df68.jpg

 

 

   

2018-12-22 16.11.19.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

20171101_110616.thumb.jpg.eadfca9ce3e48cdf5e2ad2d58ddb18aa.jpgI've tried all the Kasteels in Vientiane. They're all good. 

 

The Beer House is a great place to pick up some rarer beers, although it's not cheap. Cloud 9 shop has a good selection of craft beers.

 

People rave about the white Chimay but the red is my favourite. Getting the better beers in Thailand without paying the earth is a challenge, especially out here in the sticks. The Chalawan beers I've tried have been good so far. 

20170803_102042.jpg

Beer House.jpg

Edited by Baht Simpson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

20171101_110616.thumb.jpg.eadfca9ce3e48cdf5e2ad2d58ddb18aa.jpgI've tried all the Kasteels in Vientiane. They're all good. 

 

The Beer House is a great place to pick up some rarer beers, although it's not cheap. Cloud 9 shop has a good selection of craft beers.

 

People rave about the white Chimay but the red is my favourite. Getting the better beers in Thailand without paying the earth is a challenge, especially out here in the sticks. The Chalawan beers I've tried have been good so far. 

20170803_102042.jpg

Beer House.jpg

All very interesting....but where's the Guinness? I'm a newbie, only been here 14 months but I've never seen it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

All very interesting....but where's the Guinness? I'm a newbie, only been here 14 months but I've never seen it.

If you want draught Guinness BRUFC  you're  in the wrong country.  You might be able to get it in cans but Guinness doesn't travel well.  There are some decent stouts to be found though.  

 

I brought some cans back from Myawaddy, Myanmar a few years ago. Decent price but canned Guinness is average. 

66035595_2537920936218236_5471179454770315264_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...