Cheap GPX mid-sized motorcycles

alx123

GPX released new medium-sized motorcycles recently, and imo they look good.

The Raptor 180cc, naked. Fitted with YSS suspension and Good quality tires (Vee rubber) for 59500 thb

and the Legend 250cc (twin) for 79500 thb.

Glad to see them improving their quality, and they claimed parts are easily available for GPX now, although for its price it raises some suspicion..

GPX claims to be the sole Thailand made motorcycle brand. 

might be a fun 2nd bike, or is it a bad idea?

raptor.jpg

legend.jpg

I think they're OK, but for the models you are looking at there are Japanese brands that make the same thing (the first picture you showed is a M-Slaz ripoff and the second a W175 ripoff) so I'd probably look at a Yamaha/Kawasaki instead.

I'm still tempted by the GPX 150 GR to use around Bangkok but I can't really justify it.

I think they'd be fine as a second bike but the depreciation is brutal. I've seen the Demon 150 for under 20K second hand.

image.png.3a46bf2c2806c9093032e882b38894f4.png

The Yamaha Mslaz is 90,000 baht and the Kawasaki W175 and the W250 are both single cylinders and way more expensive.

I was interested in the 150GR before, until I saw how small it is. 

The gentleman 200 on the other hand is absolutely an eye candy

gentleman.jpg

11 hours ago, alx123 said:

The Yamaha Mslaz is 90,000 baht and the Kawasaki W175 and the W250 are both single cylinders and way more expensive.

I was interested in the 150GR before, until I saw how small it is. 

The gentleman 200 on the other hand is absolutely an eye candy

gentleman.jpg

The W175 is 86,000 Baht so a bit less than the Mslaz. It would be a better quality machine than the GPX, albeit slightly less powerful (but neither could pull the skin off a rice pudding).

The difference in purchase price would be reflected when you sell it. You might even lose more on the GPX as a lot of people wouldn't want to risk it and as I said the depreciation is pretty bad on the GPX bikes that I've seen.

For me, I'd probably risk the GPX as a second bike because it's slightly higher cc and it's cheaper but if it was a primary bike that I was going to do high mileage on and rely on daily then I'd go with the Japanese brands.

The GPX Gentleman 200 are being sold for 25-30k used that it could also be a fun 2nd bike ot play with.

I agree that it is not wise to use this brand as your main bike, but then again I saw many GPX Demon running around town for years now and it seem theyre all doing okay. 

If resale value is a consideration, forget getting GPX. 

I had a Gentleman 200, it was a good bike according to the price. Yes, absolutely eye catching and easy to move in the traffic. I felt like a cfrom the past" bike because of its technology, but the good thing is that it's very easy to maintain and fix.

The handling on the mountain roads was just OK, right now I feel WAY more confident in my CB300F that I felt ever with the Gentleman.

Regarding reliability, I had no problem with it, everything worked as expected, no mechanical issues. Aging began to show as fading black plastic in the handlebar controls, but I always park under the sun (my condo haven't shade parking)

I sold it at 38K฿ with 15000Km and almost 2 years old.

Thai reviews of the Gentleman mention gear selection problems that a lot of owners have had problems with.
I had problems with the Neutral, many times it was alm impossible to set N,and in the Thai FB group many others complained about the same.

It had an easy and cheap solution: just enlarged the piece that links the gear box to the pedal, a 30 minutes 200฿ work in a local custom garage, and the gear became soft and precise.

The new Gentleman Racer has that piece longer than the original Gentleman, so I think they realized about the faulty design.

For a Thai bike of this type I only heard good things about the Stallion 400cc,  it's solid built and have some power under belly too...

I sat on it once in the shop and it feels comfy and not small like others which are built for small Thais...

I don't want fancy bling.  I'd rather have "old technology" that is reliable, inexpensive and easily maintained.  The bikes with engines related to the better old Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha engines would work.  Forget the excess fluff with crappy plating, substandard hardware and all that.

Performance doesn't necessarily mean a GP bike.  It can mean one that runs reliably for a number of years without problems.

Archived