Is there any advantage in having a yellow book?

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

As usual you will get varying answers to this as there is no (little) consistency by province etc.

Proof of residency

To get an Id Card

Register a vehicle

open a bank account

Register for paying Elec on line

Register for TM30 online

Just few off the top of my head.

Aliens can get an ID card?

49 minutes ago, beddhist said:

Yes, I got my ID card with my yellow book.

We tried most bank branches in our area and they were consistent: no account without yellow book. Opened my a/c today. No probs, Just a bunch of forms to sign and took about 1/2h. Kasikorn Bank, 12 month fixed deposit @ 1.55% interest. I will check with the IO to make sure it's an acceptable type of a/c before putting the funds in.

I had to renew my passbook and as I'd changed to a new passport it took 15 signatures requested by a clerk who lacked any personality and acted like a robot. It was an interesting experience.

47 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, pink instead of blue.

I've got one, and the Yellow house book.

Biggest advantage so far is that renewing your 5 year DL is much easier - don't even have to see an IO, let alone visit an office.

Just another piece of documentation showing you mean business as a full timer here.

And for the lack of time & money involved, well worth it.

IMHO....

Edit.

and you've been here how long?

I've actually been here around 25 years and in our present house for about six, and have only now discovered that my wife never got me listed as a resident in my own (her) house. No malicious intent, just didn't bother. Now that is being corrected, in view of the increased activity due to the TM30.

We've never bothered with the TM30 and probably won't now, even though I sometimes go from Issan to Bangkok for a couple of days and I'm shortly off for a short trip to Singapore at the weekend. It's never been a problem and I don't anticipate one now, to be honest. I don't do 90-day reporting as I leave every 90 days (hence Singapore this time) and have never been questioned by immigration when I've done a border run at Mukdahan. If, and it's a big if, there is a problem in the future I guess we'l pay the fine - maybe to wife's brother who is a senior local cop ????

• Haha 2

All sounds good to me. Makes me feel a little more 'permanent', even though it's an illusion.

Wife drives, so the license stuff doesn't bother me. I've not needed to drive for about 25 years or more for various reasons (living in a city for most of that time, or being chauffeured around when working), and I'm at an age now where my reactions might not be enough to prevent me from being killed by the 'drivers' here. Don't need the book or card for most of the other stuff either, but it'll be nice to have.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

My Amphur, Bang Rakam, told me I must be married to get one. I said to him 'Would YOU marry her?' My gf kicked me.

Hilarious !!

OP - first and foremost, I think that you need to establish what (if any) hoops your local khet (since I assume from your username that you live in Bangkok) will require you to jump through before they are prepared to issue you with this "hallowed" book; and then weigh these up against the benefits which others have reported, as applicable in your case.

Edited by OJAS

As usual you will get varying answers to this as there is no (little) consistency by province etc.

Proof of residency
To get an Id Card
Register a vehicle
open a bank account
Register for paying Elec on line
Register for TM30 online

Just few off the top of my head.

How many in your list have you used the yellow book for? As you say it’s inconsistent, I think if 50% of the time your yellow book was accepted it would be good, most times it seems only if you have nothing else, I can’t recall anyone every saying you must show your yellow book.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

PR and citizenship can not be applied for without. I transferred many vehicles using a yellow book so saving time and money getting LOR from IO...so there is distinct advantages for some.

Correct, when I applied for PR I was asked to copy each page of the yellow book.

14 minutes ago, thaisabai said:

how do you get a yellow book?

I am not married, but have retirement extension.

You can get one if the owner of the residence where you're staying gives permission for you to get one.

Some Amphoe's might make it difficult for you to get one.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I had to renew my passbook and as I'd changed to a new passport it took 15 signatures requested by a clerk who lacked any personality and acted like a robot.

I've always wondered about that. Was told by the bank last time I was there (opening a new account, different passport) that I needed to produce the old passport in order to link the old passbook to the new passport. As I can't see the point of a passbook I haven't bothered

Asking for a friend.  My (male) friend has a Thai boyfriend who owns a house in a village outside Bangkok. Thai boyfriend's brother is deputy village headman.  My friend and his boyfriend stay in the house from time to time. Does that mean my friend could get himself a Yellow Book on the say-so of his boyfriend?  Is it a difficult/time-consuming process?

Worth having but not always acceptable to 'certain persons behind the desk'. Went to renew my driver licence recently and the yellow book was refused as a verification of my address .. even though my name in Thai and address are on it. Insisted I must get a residence cert .. which 'normally' takes a week at CM immigration but a 'fast track' [!] is available for 1000 Bht. That's two visits to Immigration and two to the licence office.

Edited by Caspersfriend
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yellow house book is useful if your someone who likes to mess about with buying and selling vehicles.. Saves the residence paper and immigration interaction every time. Same use case for driving licenses, etc etc.

Never found a single solid benefit of the pink ID card, everything it can legally do a driving license or passport can also. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, sumrit said:

Of course the Thai authorities have set up a system for foreigners to prove their permanent address to allow them to complete certain tasks and that is applying for a residence certificate each and every time they need to plus carry/produce your passport each time as well

OR

you can get a Yellow Book and Pink ID Card and use them instead in the same way as a Thai National does to get a Driving Licence, register a sim card, proof of address for extensions, open a bank account, registering for TM30's, register a vehicle, proof when sending EMS mail etc and proving address for various different official functions.

It's called CONVENIENCE.

It's also called control

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I just got the yellow book ,so I could get the 30 Thb* Hospital treatment ,sadly only lasted

about 1.5 years,and the Government stopped it,maybe because Thaksin had introduced it !

The only use so far for the pink ID card,I opened a bank account at CMBI,and I had

the cashier,show me how to change password on ATM machine,in the process,used

the number of my passport,which would not work,then i remembered the pink card,he 

entered number on that and it worked. * actually it was free,but Thais had to pay the 30 Thb.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Yellow house book is useful if your someone who likes to mess about with buying and selling vehicles.. Saves the residence paper and immigration interaction every time. Same use case for driving licenses, etc etc.

Never found a single solid benefit of the pink ID card, everything it can legally do a driving license or passport can also. 

Carrying the ID card might satisfy the gestapo that stop you in the street and demand your passport. Of it might not.

• Like 1