Is there any advantage in having a yellow book?

On 8/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, CharlieH said:

As usual you will get varying answers to this as there is no (little) consistency by province etc.

Proof of residency

To get an Id Card

Register a vehicle

open a bank account

Register for paying Elec on line

Register for TM30 online

Just few off the top of my head.

and as you said depending, on the province, some more advantages available

21 hours ago, fourpack said:

For me yes I have used it many times as a lot has outlined above.

Need it to get ID card.get Id card use it to register in  hotels in Thailand. Mo report from hotel to immigration no need to have to do the T dirty number everyone for whatever reason moans about.

Probably be the same ones who slag the yellow book and ID cards off on this thread.

You can use it to register in hotels? If so, won't be for much longer, hotels are clamping down on registering with your DL, your pink ID card will be next, all because of this TM30 nonsense.

• Sad 2

I recently enquired at my local office (Phra Khanong, Bangkok) about what I would need to apply for a yellow book.  These were:

a non-immigrant visa of over 6 months

a certified statement from the embassy that I am whom I claim to be

a certified translation of the passport ID page

a marriage certificate (I told them I was married to a Thai a the outset)

a copy of the blue book of where I am living

two witnesses, one of whom can be my wife and one who must be the owner/head of house of where I am staying.  (Apparently on the chanot the owner of a property can add the name of someone to be head of house, eg if he is infirm).

so initially I thought it might be worthwhile but then when I tried opening deposit accounts, including at Kasikorn where I have three savings accounts, they all refused unless I could provide a yellow book or a pink ID (for which one needs the yellow book).

So next year, I shall be jumping through the hoops to get my yellow an dpink documents.

4 hours ago, thaisabai said:

how do you get a yellow book?

I am not married, but have retirement extension.

any advice?

thnks

thaisabai

I'm not married either and am on a retirement extension. Seemed very simple to me but the whole process took a week or 2. How exactly? You'd have to ask my "wife".

You can register at a government hospital. Could save you a lot of money, if it doesn't kill you. 

Swipe the card, all your info goes straight into their system, no messing about with spelling of name, address, etc.

Edited by Grusa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grusa said:

You can register at a government hospital. Could save you a lot of money, if it doesn't kill you. 

Swipe the card, all your info goes straight into their system, no messing about with spelling of name, address, etc.

Worked for me at bangkok pattaya hospital too.

22 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Biggest advantage so far is that renewing your 5 year DL is much easier - don't even have to see an IO, let alone visit an office.

In Korat, yellow book was absolutely worthless for my 5 year DL renewal. Had to do COR with IO (I think I had to pay 500 Bt for that)... and they couldn't do that until my wife did another TM30 filing (even though I hadn't been registered anywhere other than at home).

Also, the yellow book was completely worthless for opening my Bangkok Bank accounts (in Bangkok, even at main Silom branch). They only wanted my passport with Non-Imm O visa (unexpired at the time) and COR (I used affidavit from embassy to meet that requirement).

So, absolutely, YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Never found a single solid benefit of the pink ID card, everything it can legally do a driving license or passport can also.

Convenience. Of course you can use other methods but they are more time consuming and can (sometimes) be more expensive.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:
1 hour ago, Grusa said:

Worked for me at bangkok pattaya hospital too.

I also registered using just my pink ID at both the Burapha University Teaching Hospital in Bang Saen and the Phaya Thai hospital in Si Racha.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, thaiguzzi said:

And for the lack of time & money involved, well worth it.

IMHO....

Edit.

and you've been here how long?

How much do you save every 5 years by having it? The letter of residence is free.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm not married either and am on a retirement extension. Seemed very simple to me but the whole process took a week or 2. How exactly? You'd have to ask my "wife".

It was simple for me in Lopburi, went to the town house with wife and her parents, paid 100 baht I think, about 30 minutes. Of course need some docs, like marriage cert.  

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get one if the owner of the residence where you're staying gives permission for you to get one.

Some Amphoe's might make it difficult for you to get one.

Where do you actually get it? At the immigration office or somewhere else. Do you need to write in advance or just bring enough with you to get it done in a "couple" of minutes?

On 8/20/2019 at 1:43 PM, Matzzon said:

No, there is no advantages, that can not be achieved without.

Confirmation of residence is, as I'm sure you know, a requirement for doing several things in Thailand - opening bank accounts, vehicle transfers to name but 2.  Once you have a Yellow Tabien Baan, you no longer need to confirm your address - the Tabien Baan does just that.

I don't know about other offices but Korat Immigration charge 500 baht for an address confirmation and its a 2 1/2 hour round trip for me - probably another 500 baht in diesel. So there clearly is an advantage of having a Yellow Tabien Baan - a 1000 baht advantage, every time I need an address confirmation.

Pak Chong police station refused to issue an address confirmation by they way.

You guys seem to be also discussing the advantages of having a Thai ID card.  The charge for a foreigner to enter Khao Yai National Park is 400 baht.  Until a couple of years ago, if you presented a Thai drving licence or work permit they would let you in for the Thai price of 40 baht. Then that was stopped and there was no arguing with them.

Recently I was talking to a guy that had come up from Pattaya, visited the park and been charged 40 baht when he showed his Thai ID card.

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Confirmation of residence is, as I'm sure you know, a requirement for doing several things in Thailand - opening bank accounts, vehicle transfers to name but 2.  Once you have a Yellow Tabien Baan, you no longer need to confirm your address - the Tabien Baan does just that.

I don't know about other offices but Korat Immigration charge 500 baht for an address confirmation and its a 2 1/2 hour round trip for me - probably another 500 baht in diesel. So there clearly is an advantage of having a Yellow Tabien Baan - a 1000 baht advantage, every time I need an address confirmation.

Pak Chong police station refused to issue an address confirmation by they way.

There are those here who will not believe you and/or tell you that you can do everything you need without them. Guys like us understand however!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, CharlieH said:

As usual you will get varying answers to this as there is no (little) consistency by province etc.

Proof of residency

To get an Id Card

Register a vehicle

open a bank account

Register for paying Elec on line

Register for TM30 online

Just few off the top of my head.

Several of you have now mentioned the pink ID card. When I got my yellow tabien baan in Phuket we asked the officer at the amphur about the steps to take in order to get a pink ID card. The answer was there is no ID card for farang. I told him that there must be, because I read about it online and various websites and even showed him a report of how to obtain it, which included pictures of a British guys pink ID card. But the officer insisted that there was none for farang, only an ID card for migrant workers from Burma. 
Both me and the wife asked a few other people at the Amphur but no one had any idea. 

So how does one actually get the ID card and where to apply?

• Sad 1

Just now, thaibutty said:

Several of you have now mentioned the pink ID card. When I got my yellow tabien baan in Phuket we asked the officer at the amphur about the steps to take in order to get a pink ID card. The answer was there is no ID card for farang. I told him that there must be, because I read about it online and various websites and even showed him a report of how to obtain it, which included pictures of a British guys pink ID card. But the officer insisted that there was none for farang, only an ID card for migrant workers from Burma. 
Both me and the wife asked a few other people at the Amphur but no one had any idea. 

So how does one actually get the ID card and where to apply?

They are issued by the local Amphur, if yours is claiming no knowledge etc, ask you wife to visit an alternate Amphur where they are issuing them and ask them to either telephone or give you something on paper to give to your local Amphur explaining what is what etc.

Just a suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Once you have a Yellow Tabien Baan, you no longer need to confirm your address - the Tabien Baan does just that.

Perhaps in theory, but not always in practice. The DLT closest to me does not accept the Yellow Tabien Baan. I think they used to but have stopped. The DLT employee had a binder with pages containing highlighted passages to be used as a script for the interaction with foreigner. Yellow book was in the script as "don't accept it". This is in Nakhon Ratchasima province. Others have reported here that indeed it is no longer accepted  by their local DLT, perhaps implying that some rules have changed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You guys seem to be also discussing the advantages of having a Thai ID card.  The charge for a foreigner to enter Khao Yai National Park is 400 baht.  Until a couple of years ago, if you presented a Thai drving licence or work permit they would let you in for the Thai price of 40 baht. Then that was stopped and there was no arguing with them.

Recently I was talking to a guy that had come up from Pattaya, visited the park and been charged 40 baht when he showed his Thai ID card.

I’m in Khao Yai right now, I might give it a try tomorrow given that I haven’t been into the park since they started refusing my DL.

Am I right in saying those with Yellow book and pink ID cards still have (to do) the following
1) yearly visa/extensions.
2) 90day reports of address
3)have no additional legal rights to said property
4) as 3) but regarding land.
5) TM30 reports whenever they sleep elsewhere longer than 24 hours.
6) not get countrywide Thai citizen prices for EVERY attraction/park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1