Is there any advantage in having a yellow book?

51 minutes ago, Carolina Reaper said:

Perhaps in theory, but not always in practice. The DLT closest to me does not accept the Yellow Tabien Baan. I think they used to but have stopped. The DLT employee had a binder with pages containing highlighted passages to be used as a script for the interaction with foreigner. Yellow book was in the script as "don't accept it". This is in Nakhon Ratchasima province. Others have reported here that indeed it is no longer accepted  by their local DLT, perhaps implying that some rules have changed.

That's news to me but thank you for that information.  I don't actually have a Yellow Tabien Baan yet but I will be going for one once I become eligible again.  I guess as with a lot of things it depends on the local rules or even the individual officer.  I do know that they can actually do more or less what they want when It comes to documentation which makes you wonder sometimes.

For example, I know a staff member at Pak Chong DLT, I've had various things done there with very little of documentation that is supposed to be required.

However, if the binder in which its written 'don't accept it' was presented to me, I'd take a photo and report/challenge that at a higher level. The Yellow Tabien Baan is a legal document and as far as I know, it is every bit as credible as the Blue Tabien Baan issued to Thai nationals.  In refusing such a document, the 'refuser' is going against the rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Am I right in saying those with Yellow book and pink ID cards still have (to do) the following
1) yearly visa/extensions.
2) 90day reports of address
3)have no additional legal rights to said property
4) as 3) but regarding land.
5) TM30 reports whenever they sleep elsewhere longer than 24 hours.
6) not get countrywide Thai citizen prices for EVERY attraction/park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’ve ever been to Thailand you’ll know that there are no fixed rules about anything, and if you’re actually living here you’ll know how ridiculous your post is!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, pink instead of blue.

I've got one, and the Yellow house book.

Biggest advantage so far is that renewing your 5 year DL is much easier - don't even have to see an IO, let alone visit an office.

Just another piece of documentation showing you mean business as a full timer here.

And for the lack of time & money involved, well worth it.

IMHO....

Edit.

and you've been here how long?

maybe they could  think about exempting  yellow  book owners from TM  30 , easy for them to do that and wouldnt involve the  masses of Indians Chinese laos  Burmese etc

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 5:59 PM, possum1931 said:

You can use it to register in hotels? If so, won't be for much longer, hotels are clamping down on registering with your DL, your pink ID card will be next, all because of this TM30 nonsense.

Lol ok so you say. Never an issue did it today as I happens NO problem.

48 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Lol ok so you say. Never an issue did it today as I happens NO problem.

Good, I hope it stays that way, does using your pink card the same as using your driving licence? Does that mean the hotel does not report the TM30 garbage?

• Like 1

Perhaps in theory, but not always in practice. The DLT closest to me does not accept the Yellow Tabien Baan. I think they used to but have stopped. The DLT employee had a binder with pages containing highlighted passages to be used as a script for the interaction with foreigner. Yellow book was in the script as "don't accept it". This is in Nakhon Ratchasima province. Others have reported here that indeed it is no longer accepted  by their local DLT, perhaps implying that some rules have changed.
The DLT accepted mine today (prachinburi) just goes to show the inconsistency were up against.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you’ve ever been to Thailand you’ll know that there are no fixed rules about anything, and if you’re actually living here you’ll know how ridiculous your post is!

I have lived & worked in Thailand for the last 15 years and also had a yellow book once.
See, it’s easy to answer someone’s questions without the need for silly comments.
You should try it!!

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Clearly, they can't report TM30 without passport and TM6 details.

Without TM6 details, That's the thing you fill in when you are on the plane, you might have something there, but what about retirees living here who never or hardly ever leave the country? They are not going to have a TM6.

25 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I have lived & worked in Thailand for the last 15 years and also had a yellow book once.
See, it’s easy to answer someone’s questions without the need for silly comments.
You should try it!!

You first

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That's news to me but thank you for that information.  I don't actually have a Yellow Tabien Baan yet but I will be going for one once I become eligible again.  I guess as with a lot of things it depends on the local rules or even the individual officer.  I do know that they can actually do more or less what they want when It comes to documentation which makes you wonder sometimes.

For example, I know a staff member at Pak Chong DLT, I've had various things done there with very little of documentation that is supposed to be required.

However, if the binder in which its written 'don't accept it' was presented to me, I'd take a photo and report/challenge that at a higher level. The Yellow Tabien Baan is a legal document and as far as I know, it is every bit as credible as the Blue Tabien Baan issued to Thai nationals.  In refusing such a document, the 'refuser' is going against the rules.

The binder of rules/policies originated at the higher (or highest level). Wife was there for translation purposes, and the policies essentially stated that proper evidence of residence address could be satisfied only by (1) Certificate of Residence obtained at local Immigration office; or (2) A notarized affidavit attesting to residence address obtained at Embassy or Consulate. 

I believe the Yellow Tabien Baan is not every bit as credible as the Blue Tabien Baan -- not by virtue of any legal language that defined and gave rise to the former but rather by its routine (and increasing) lack of acceptance for its purported intended purposes. I'm seeing the same thing with the pink ID card. The once-genuine usefulness of both documents is being progressively diminished. A while back I presented my pink ID and yellow book for opening another account at the main Silom BKKB branch. The girl looked at the ID card with some curiosity, front and back, browsed through the yellow book, and then smiled and (according to wife) she mumbled something about this making things way easier when setting up the account. She was quickly overruled by senior level bank personnel, however, who indicated that for a foreigner a passport and visa establishing non-tourist status were required, as well as certification of residence provided via either of the two aforementioned methods applicable to DLT (and the official documentation from HQ was there -- in a cute binder of course -- to prove it). My yellow book and pink ID were returned to me and they started processing my application based on the passport, non-O, and the embassy affidavit certifying residence residence.

We will continue to see amphurs cranking these things out (1) because they can;  (2) there are regulations governing them; and (3) foreigners still ask for them. But they are being relegated to the status of "paper prize in a modern box of cracker jacks". It's happening now and others here have reported their own anecdotal evidence supporting this belief. 

There appear to be DLT and bank employees who, at the current time, fall into any of the following 3 generational categories:

(1) Never knew about or understood -- and still don't -- what the yellow tabien baan and pink ID cards are for (due to poor supervision, weak training, and/or individual learning challenges);

(2) Know by past training or experience the intended purpose of and policy formerly surrounding said documents but weren't properly informed of internal policy changes (due to poor supervision, weak training, and/or individual learning challenges);

(3) Know by past training or experience the intended purpose of and policy formerly surrounding said documents and are now aware of published internal policy changes concerning them.

When conducting business where there are documentation requirements that ought to be satisfied by the yellow book and/or pink ID card (by virtue of their respective purported intended purposes), and a foreigner is served by a category 1 or 3 employee, his/her yellow book and/or pink ID card will be returned and he/she will need to come up with alternative documentation. However, if the foreigner is lucky enough to be served by a category 2 employee, his/her yellow book and/or pink ID card will be accepted and he/she will post on this forum about how wonderfully useful yellow tabien baans and pink ID cards are. Unfortunately, the beloved category 2 employee is becoming extinct.

About a year ago, I did get the khon Thai price at Nakhon Ratchasima zoo upon presenting my pink ID card (as a visitor, not a subject animal).

Edited by Carolina Reaper
Added one positive tidbit
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Carolina Reaper said:

The binder of rules/policies originated at the higher (or highest level). Wife was there for translation purposes, and the policies essentially stated that proper evidence of residence address could be satisfied only by (1) Certificate of Residence obtained at local Immigration office; or (2) A notarized affidavit attesting to residence address obtained at Embassy or Consulate. 

I believe the Yellow Tabien Baan is not every bit as credible as the Blue Tabien Baan -- not by virtue of any legal language that defined and gave rise to the former but rather by its routine (and increasing) lack of acceptance for its purported intended purposes. I'm seeing the same thing with the pink ID card. The once-genuine usefulness of both documents is being progressively diminished. A while back I presented my pink ID and yellow book for opening another account at the main Silom BKKB branch. The girl looked at the ID card with some curiosity, front and back, browsed through the yellow book, and then smiled and (according to wife) she mumbled something about this making things way easier when setting up the account. She was quickly overruled by senior level bank personnel, however, who indicated that for a foreigner a passport and visa establishing non-tourist status were required, as well as certification of residence provided via either of the two aforementioned methods applicable to DLT (and the official documentation from HQ was there -- in a cute binder of course -- to prove it). My yellow book and pink ID were returned to me and they started processing my application based on the passport, non-O, and the embassy affidavit certifying residence residence.

We will continue to see amphurs cranking these things out (1) because they can;  (2) there are regulations governing them; and (3) foreigners still ask for them. But they are being relegated to the status of "paper prize in a modern box of cracker jacks". It's happening now and others here have reported their own anecdotal evidence supporting this belief. 

There appear to be DLT and bank employees who, at the current time, fall into any of the following 3 generational categories:

(1) Never knew about or understood -- and still don't -- what the yellow tabien baan and pink ID cards are for (due to poor supervision, weak training, and/or individual learning challenges);

(2) Know by past training or experience the intended purpose of and policy formerly surrounding said documents but weren't properly informed of internal policy changes (due to poor supervision, weak training, and/or individual learning challenges);

(3) Know by past training or experience the intended purpose of and policy formerly surrounding said documents and are now aware of published internal policy changes concerning them.

When conducting business where there are documentation requirements that ought to be satisfied by the yellow book and/or pink ID card (by virtue of their respective purported intended purposes), and a foreigner is served by a category 1 or 3 employee, his/her yellow book and/or pink ID card will be returned and he/she will need to come up with alternative documentation. However, if the foreigner is lucky enough to be served by a category 2 employee, his/her yellow book and/or pink ID card will be accepted and he/she will post on this forum about how wonderfully useful yellow tabien baans and pink ID cards are. Unfortunately, the beloved category 2 employee is becoming extinct.

About a year ago, I did get the khon Thai price at Nakhon Ratchasima zoo upon presenting my pink ID card (as a visitor, not a subject animal).

I have always got Thai price by using my drivers licence

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Without TM6 details, That's the thing you fill in when you are on the plane, you might have something there, but what about retirees living here who never or hardly ever leave the country? They are not going to have a TM6.

TM6 is stapled in your passport, you hand half to immigration and keep half in your passport,  the TM6 number is required for 90 day reports, tm30 reports, leaving the country, 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, sumrit said:

Convenience. Of course you can use other methods but they are more time consuming and can (sometimes) be more expensive.

Can you explain it for me then ?? As I had one in the past and never did it do anything my Thai DL couldnt do. 

How can it save me money or time ?? 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, Fairynuff said:

Do you have this response on a template so you don’t have to keep typing it?

I just keep asking for what actual guaranteed benefit it has over the Thai Driving license I already have to carry. When I had one, it gave me nothing. 

The yellow house book has a clear and direct benefit. 

44 minutes ago, Carolina Reaper said:

There is an aspect of yellow book etc that gets lost in these discussions, yellow book/pink ID has your name in Thai script. It cant be used to operate a bank account where your name is in English (opened with passport as ID)

If you open an account using yellowbook/pink ID then the account name is in Thai and requires an ID with your name in Thai etc.

The same applies at the DLT, get an initial license from the DLT using yellow/ID, your ID number is on the license, not your passport, you can renew etc using Yelllow book. 

Its not that they dont accept or understand yellow book, they don accept yellow book for accounts or license in english name, opened with English name ID.

I have an account opened with a yellow book, account name is in Thai, the bank wont accept passport to operate this account.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I just keep asking for what actual guaranteed benefit it has over the Thai Driving license I already have to carry. When I had one, it gave me nothing. 

The yellow house book has a clear and direct benefit. 

TDL not accepted at hotels, pink ID card often is. Also, called into a private hospital recently. Didn't have my passport on me. ID card accepted. Easy to carry an ID card in your wallet, not so easy to take your passport everywhere you go.

However not essential. Main reason I obtained a Yellow book/pink ID card was the feeling of acceptance by Thais, however notional that is.

Edited by DannyCarlton

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

My Thai DL has been accepted many times.. And again this is another 'maybe' 'sometimes'.. 

Surely theres an absolute concrete use for it ?? 

Not that I know of. I just try to be accepted here, learned the language, Thai wife, mostly Thai friends. As far as I'm concerned, thailand is my home. The ID card just adds to that feeling. Nonsense, I know but it floats my boat.

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not that I know of. I just try to be accepted here, learned the language, Thai wife, mostly Thai friends. As far as I'm concerned, thailand is my home. The ID card just adds to that feeling. Nonsense, I know but it floats my boat.

Exactly what I said it was earlier.. the paperwork equivalent of the over sized amulet. 

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Can you explain it for me then ?? As I had one in the past and never did it do anything my Thai DL couldnt do. 

How can it save me money or time ?? 

For the benefit of the perpetually argumentative...

In SOME places, the driving license office accept it as proof of address. Money/time saved = trip to local Immigration office for a residence certificate.

In SOME places, it will be accepted as local proof of address, especially handy for those who don't/cannot have a Thai DL. Money/time saved = trip to embassy, translation shop and MFA to get translation of foreign passport.

In SOME places, it facilitates faster processing when applying for a car loan. Money/time saved = trip to local Immigration office for a residence certificate AND  trip to embassy, translation shop and MFA to get translation of foreign passport.

In SOME places, it facilitates faster new, local bank account opening. Money/time saved = trip to local Immigration office for a residence certificate AND trip to embassy, translation shop and MFA to get translation of foreign passport.

In SOME places, it's accepted as proof of ID for boarding a domestic flight. No big money or time saving but a lot easier than flashing the passport.

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

My Thai DL has been accepted many times.. And again this is another 'maybe' 'sometimes'.. 

Surely theres an absolute concrete use for it ?? 

I booked in to one of my regular hotels where I used to always use my driving licence, I was told I now needed my passport, which I had, and also a TM6, which I did not have, they still let me book in, what I am wondering now is, can the hotel do a report to immigration without a TM6?

Does a TM6 have anything a passport does not have?

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Exactly what I said it was earlier.. the paperwork equivalent of the over sized amulet. 

And here's you, desperately seeking affirmation that something issued by Thai local government is 100% universally guaranteed to be accepted 100% of the time just so you can justify that something that has REPEATEDLY worked for hundreds, possibly thousands of others has never worked for you.

Diddums.

3 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Probably a good description but there has been the odd occasion that it's been useful. Also it was free and took less than an hour to obtain.

The yellow book, on the other hand, took a couple of weeks to obtain and probably cost me i.r.o. 2k baht in total. To date, I've never actually used it.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I booked in to one of my regular hotels where I used to always use my driving licence, I was told I now needed my passport, which I had, and also a TM6, which I did not have, they still let me book in, what I am wondering now is, can the hotel do a report to immigration without a TM6?

Does a TM6 have anything a passport does not have?

Without the TM6 number, they cannot report your stay completely. However, they probably can make a comment that it wasn't presented or maybe that the foreigner said it was lost. Either way, they submit the name and passport number and their work is done.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Zero problem for me. Whenever I have to deal with authorities in Thailand, I just sit there like a crash test dummy and the wife does all the talking paying etc. Works for me.

Snap!????