Is there any advantage in having a yellow book?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

For the benefit of the perpetually argumentative...

In SOME places, the driving license office accept it as proof of address. Money/time saved = trip to local Immigration office for a residence certificate.

In SOME places, it will be accepted as local proof of address, especially handy for those who don't/cannot have a Thai DL. Money/time saved = trip to embassy, translation shop and MFA to get translation of foreign passport.

In SOME places, it facilitates faster processing when applying for a car loan. Money/time saved = trip to local Immigration office for a residence certificate AND  trip to embassy, translation shop and MFA to get translation of foreign passport.

In SOME places, it facilitates faster new, local bank account opening. Money/time saved = trip to local Immigration office for a residence certificate AND trip to embassy, translation shop and MFA to get translation of foreign passport.

In SOME places, it's accepted as proof of ID for boarding a domestic flight. No big money or time saving but a lot easier than flashing the passport.

I don’t know why you’re bothering with this guy, he just wants an argument!

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

In SOME places, the driving license office accept it as proof of address.

Was told only today of it working at Pattaya Driving Licence centre in place of a COR for renewal. 

Can't speak for Monday though.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
45 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Your Thai DL doesn't have your address on it,

Yes it does, on the back. At least, mine does.

Apologies. Just looked and my new DL does (renewed it last December). I looked at my old licence to confirm when I wrote that because it was convenient in my desk drawer. That one, which is 5.5 years old definitely doesn't have my address on it. Just looked and neither does my wife's which is just over four years old. Adding it must be a later addition.

The back of my Dec 2013 DL2013 DL back.docx

today had the first time denial for using my  Pink ID Card.... have been traveling around the south of Thailand, visited parks, temples in Nakon Si Thamarat, Trang, Krabi and Phang Nga, all of them charged me the Thai citizens price for the entry fee, wife had to visit the Hospital for small "personal" problem, they charged same fee as for Thais, I used the card to register my scooter, overall the ID card made the majority of the public servants smile until, today (Aug 23 2019) decided to take the family to the Khao Sok National Park in Surat Thani, the one with the floating village (Ratchaprapha) and went to purchase the tickets, they asked for 300 baht person (price/money was not the problem) I pulled my ID card out and showed it to the person (lady) selling the tickets to get the discounted Thai fee of 40 baht, she immediately said no and told me to ask next booth where the boss was, I proceed to the booth and show the card to the "boss" and without looking at it he immediately said no also and that I should pay 300 baht, I try to speak with him explaining all my previous reports of using the card without any problem even told him the day before went to the other side of the park, to the Phan Nga side (Si PhangNga National Park) show him the ticket and again, without looking at the card he said 300 baht. Next to me a group of 6 persons, a couple (man from Wales wife from Thailand) with 3 kids and 2 relatives, they have been married for over 14 years, kids 14, 12 and they were listen to my conversation, he than try to buy the tickets for all family (he had Pink ID card for sometime he said) the guy "boss" told him 3 person 40 baht (kids below 14 free his not yet 14 he will be in 2 months) and him has to pay 300 baht, than his Thai wife asked the "boss" why such a big difference, as per her explanation, foreigners damage the park more than Thais and because foreigners come to Thailand they should pay more  than the people living here, she asked if their 5 person group would damage less than her husband alone and much to her and my surprise he said yes and no more discussion, pay 300 baht and go to the park or go back home..... overall trip to Surat Thani area has been very disappointing as Khao Sok being the lowest of them all, wouldn't recommend for a trip, nothing special unless some one likes hiking/ mountain walking

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

today had the first time denial for using my  Pink ID Card.... have been traveling around the south of Thailand, visited parks, temples in Nakon Si Thamarat, Trang, Krabi and Phang Nga, all of them charged me the Thai citizens price for the entry fee, wife had to visit the Hospital for small "personal" problem, they charged same fee as for Thais, I used the card to register my scooter, overall the ID card made the majority of the public servants smile until, today (Aug 23 2019) decided to take the family to the Khao Sok National Park in Surat Thani, the one with the floating village (Ratchaprapha) and went to purchase the tickets, they asked for 300 baht person (price/money was not the problem) I pulled my ID card out and showed it to the person (lady) selling the tickets to get the discounted Thai fee of 40 baht, she immediately said no and told me to ask next booth where the boss was, I proceed to the booth and show the card to the "boss" and without looking at it he immediately said no also and that I should pay 300 baht, I try to speak with him explaining all my previous reports of using the card without any problem even told him the day before went to the other side of the park, to the Phan Nga side (Si PhangNga National Park) show him the ticket and again, without looking at the card he said 300 baht. Next to me a group of 6 persons, a couple (man from Wales wife from Thailand) with 3 kids and 2 relatives, they have been married for over 14 years, kids 14, 12 and they were listen to my conversation, he than try to buy the tickets for all family (he had Pink ID card for sometime he said) the guy "boss" told him 3 person 40 baht (kids below 14 free his not yet 14 he will be in 2 months) and him has to pay 300 baht, than his Thai wife asked the "boss" why such a big difference, as per her explanation, foreigners damage the park more than Thais and because foreigners come to Thailand they should pay more  than the people living here, she asked if their 5 person group would damage less than her husband alone and much to her and my surprise he said yes and no more discussion, pay 300 baht and go to the park or go back home..... overall trip to Surat Thani area has been very disappointing as Khao Sok being the lowest of them all, wouldn't recommend for a trip, nothing special unless some one likes hiking/ mountain walking

And more and more people are learning of double-pricing and more and more people are telling their friends and family, and less and less people are coming to Thailand. How long do you think it might be until they join the dots and realise that the overwhelming majority find that offensive and unwelcoming - even quite a number of Thais, who are embarrassed by the policy. Especially when you are told by a government official that you aren't fit to be there because of the damage you cause so you have to pay compensation in the form of a higher price. And, of course, by that being official government policy, everyone else thinks they have right to do the same.

• Confused 1

On 8/21/2019 at 6:41 PM, Carolina Reaper said:

In Korat, yellow book was absolutely worthless for my 5 year DL renewal. Had to do COR with IO (I think I had to pay 500 Bt for that)... and they couldn't do that until my wife did another TM30 filing (even though I hadn't been registered anywhere other than at home).

Also, the yellow book was completely worthless for opening my Bangkok Bank accounts (in Bangkok, even at main Silom branch). They only wanted my passport with Non-Imm O visa (unexpired at the time) and COR (I used affidavit from embassy to meet that requirement).

So, absolutely, YMMV.

Different provinces, different strokes...

All i need for a 5 year DL renewal is a 50 Baht note from the local quack, and my Pink ID card and yellow house book.

Here in Udon province, immigration and police are not remotely interested in a TM30.

Afer 16 years of living here, i don't even know what one looks like.

The Bank account?

That was simplicity personified too...

Edit, along with the pink ID card, also useful for registering with your local hospital and/or health clinic, so everything detail wise is on their computers.

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/21/2019 at 8:49 PM, Neeranam said:

How much do you save every 5 years by having it? The letter of residence is free.

Er, saving the time and my mental health in having to visit an immigration office.

Is that ok with you?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I pulled my ID card out and showed it to the person (lady) selling the tickets to get the discounted Thai fee of 40 baht, she immediately said no

The pink card says your not thai on the front, the lady was correct. 

Out of interest, what language did you speak to her in?

I would rather  show my ID card from my work, to show  iam paying taxes.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

All i need for a 5 year DL renewal is a 50 Baht note from the local quack,

These days a medical certificate is not required, you wasted a trip and the associated stress.

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

All i need for a 5 year DL renewal is a 50 Baht note from the local quack,

These days a medical certificate is not required, you wasted a trip and the associated stress.

When renewing my DL last year I was told that I didn't need the Medical Certificate (by the person manning a front desk)...  when submitting my documentation I was asked for......  a Medical Certificated... I of course questioned this, but was told it was a requirement (this was DLT in Bangkok, Sukhumvit).

In this case, I wasted the Trip and associated stress of not have everything I needed and more !

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When renewing my DL last year I was told that I didn't need the Medical Certificate (by the person manning a front desk)...  when submitting my documentation I was asked for......  a Medical Certificated... I of course questioned this, but was told it was a requirement (this was DLT in Bangkok, Sukhumvit).

In this case, I wasted the Trip and associated stress of not have everything I needed and more !

For renewing the 5 year one?

Strange. Are you over 60?

19 hours ago, sumrit said:

Your yellow book is permanently valid with no expiry date (must be changed if you move house permanently of course, the same as Thai nationals do).

Your Thai DL doesn't have your address on it, so it can't be used as proof of address for starters. That means a time consuming trip to your Immigration Office to apply for a Residence Certificate every time you need proof of address and, although it should be free, usually costs between 200-500 baht at most Immigration Offices and is only valid for a short period of time and for specified reasons. 

To name just a few:

You can use your yellow book to prove your address when applying for an extension at Immigration, you can't with your DL.

With your yellow book you can register a sim card, you can't with a DL.

With your yellow book and ID Card combined you can renew your Thai DL, you can't with your old DL.

With your yellow book and ID Card combined you can open a bank account, with a DL you can't.

With your yellow book and ID Card combined can buy and register a car/motorcyle you can't with a DL.

Using your ID card you can send registered mail (EMS) worldwide through the postal service, you can't using your DL.

In fact, whenever you need to prove your address and/or ID you can use your yellow book and/or ID card. You can't using your DL, YOU MUST TAKE THE TIME AND COST to get a residence certificate from Immigration each and every time plus, when needed, carry your passport with you.

As I've said before, you can choose whatever method you want..........I personally prefer the CONVENIENCE of having a yellow book and pink ID card.

I am talking about the pink ID card. 

The yellow book has multiple worthwhile uses. I have never found a single guaranteed use case for the Pink ID card for anyone who has a Thai driving license and passport (most expats). 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And here's you, desperately seeking affirmation that something issued by Thai local government is 100% universally guaranteed to be accepted 100% of the time just so you can justify that something that has REPEATEDLY worked for hundreds, possibly thousands of others has never worked for you.

Diddums.

No just an actual reason over a Thai DL or passport. 

Thai DL is sometimes accepted at national parks and Thai rated attraction.. Passport checks into hotels.. That leaves.. er.. er.. hmmm.. er.. 

Its just another one of those badges of 'I am more expat than you' that some folks seem to go through. Jumping through hoops for no actual benefit only to claim they have been here longer or are more established (when how many of them could go get it without thier wives operating translation). Its the amulet effect for paperwork gatherers. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, sumrit said:

With your yellow book and ID Card combined you can renew your Thai DL, you can't with your old DL.

With your yellow book and ID Card combined you can open a bank account, with a DL you can't.

False. Change "can" to "may be able to". In fact, I suspect there are more cases of "can't" than "can" countrywide.

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Tough crowd.

Jeez you are hard work.

Ok, i'll rephrase that; 4 years and 10 months ago i got a note from the Doc's.

We'll see in 2 months time.

Oh, and nipping into the doc's receptionist for 2 mins and 30 seconds whilst she scribbles out a note is not stressful.

Better?

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

For renewing the 5 year one?

Strange. Are you over 60?

Different provinces, different strokes.

And no, neither am i 60, and have needed a note 3 times in the last 16 years.

You will find the TM30 palarva is not even on the radar in Udon province either by Expats or Immigration.

Nobody is interested.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

In my prior post, I forgot to mention the medical certificate. I did have one because I knew I needed one. it is in fact required (specified in written DLT requirements at the highest level -- it's in "the binder"). I think some folks here happen (luckily?) to be taken care of by a "formal process challenged" employee.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And more and more people are learning of double-pricing and more and more people are telling their friends and family, and less and less people are coming to Thailand. How long do you think it might be until they join the dots and realise that the overwhelming majority find that offensive and unwelcoming - even quite a number of Thais, who are embarrassed by the policy. Especially when you are told by a government official that you aren't fit to be there because of the damage you cause so you have to pay compensation in the form of a higher price. And, of course, by that being official government policy, everyone else thinks they have right to do the same.

I honestly thought they were working on solving that double pricing issue, guess was wrong, hope somebody up there in charge of the parks/tourist attractions will be clever sooner than later, this morning at breakfast with a group of 12 westerners, all complaining about the same double pricing issue and they decided not to visit the park,  our final comment and we all agreed, the issue at hand  was not the 300 baht fee but primarily the overall complain was about how their system works how unfair it is....., unfortunately and quite sure the usual TV "keyboard" warriors with their negative critics will come up with a good answer

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

No just an actual reason over a Thai DL or passport. 

Thai DL is sometimes accepted at national parks and Thai rated attraction.. Passport checks into hotels.. That leaves.. er.. er.. hmmm.. er.. 

Its just another one of those badges of 'I am more expat than you' that some folks seem to go through. Jumping through hoops for no actual benefit only to claim they have been here longer or are more established (when how many of them could go get it without thier wives operating translation). Its the amulet effect for paperwork gatherers. 

Great post@

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The pink card says your not thai on the front, the lady was correct. 

Out of interest, what language did you speak to her in?

I would rather  show my ID card from my work, to show  iam paying taxes.

the point was about using the card at other Thai national parks, whereby it was accepted, not being Thai and my wife and the other couple's wife, their kids and their relatives all spoke in Thai, no language barrier and/or misunderstandings and I can't show my work ID because I can't work