Is there any advantage in having a yellow book?

7 minutes ago, Carolina Reaper said:

In my prior post, I forgot to mention the medical certificate. I did have one because I knew I needed one. it is in fact required (specified in written DLT requirements at the highest level -- it's in "the binder"). I think some folks here happen (luckily?) to be taken care of by a "formal process challenged" employee.

Do you have a link? The one I  read said that only the renewing the 2 year to 5 year needed the medical. The same happened to my wife recently, she never needed a medical. 

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

the point was about using the card at other Thai national parks, whereby it was accepted, not being Thai and my wife and the other couple's wife, their kids and their relatives all spoke in Thai, no language barrier and/or misunderstandings and I can't show my work ID because I can't work

Well be grateful that you got the resident discount rather than focus on the one you didn't.  Recently, iplayed golf in Melbourne and had to pay more, being a foreigner. They actually had a 3 tier system, more also for guests  from other states. 

If you are resident and pay taxes, you should get local discount, imho,  like in Scotland for many castles etc and at Disney world,  in Florida, for example.

I suggest speaking to them yourself, making the conversation  light hearted, only once didn't work for me, in many years.

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you are resident and pay taxes, you should get local discount, imho,

Well that excludes most Thais from this discounted entrance price.

Actually it is better still, at some attractions the Thais pocket a commission for bringing the foreign tourists who pay the inflated fees!

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well that excludes most Thais from this discounted entrance price.

Actually it is better still, at some attractions the Thais pocket a commission for bringing the foreign tourists who pay the inflated fees!

I've never seen this happen and it is not an inflated price, it is the normal  price.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I've never seen this happen and it is not an inflated price, it is the normal  price.

I have.

It is a price specific to and only for foreigners, you regard that as normal?

• Like 2

If you are married to a Thai then I don't see any advantage of having a yellow book.

Proof of residency : For what reason do you need this? Driving licence every 5 years???

To get an Id Card : Don't need one.

Register a vehicle : All vehicles registered in wife' name. Easier when selling too.

Open a bank account : I have 2 bank accounts. Just needed passport.

Register for paying Elec on line : Registered via wife's ID.

Register for TM30 online : Wife does it.

When or if I ever visit national parks I speak to the people on the gate in Thai. Explain how long I have been here, my family etc. It usually works and I get local entry price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I have.

It is a price specific to and only for foreigners, you regard that as normal?

agree, seen it happen on a regular basis, usually the guys wanting the job (either car, boat or other) they ask you to give them the cash/money, they go to the booth to buy the tickets and never pay the full fee, always get a "referral" fee cash back or charge us the foreign fee and they paid the Thai fee, seen it 3 days ago and 2 times on same day, yesterday it was "almost" ready to happen as the guy wanting to take us on the boat ride offered to buy the tickets for us at a discounted fee of 200 baht instead of the posted 300 baht foreign fee, all we had to do was to move to the side and avoid be seen

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

If you are married to a Thai then I don't see any advantage of having a yellow book.

Proof of residency : For what reason do you need this? Driving licence every 5 years???

To get an Id Card : Don't need one.

Register a vehicle : All vehicles registered in wife' name. Easier when selling too.

Open a bank account : I have 2 bank accounts. Just needed passport.

Register for paying Elec on line : Registered via wife's ID.

Register for TM30 online : Wife does it.

When or if I ever visit national parks I speak to the people on the gate in Thai. Explain how long I have been here, my family etc. It usually works and I get local entry price.

Exactly right. 

I've talked to some ticket sellers and they say they give me the thsi price because I can speak and the ones who can only say " mail sanook" and " poom pui" don't get discounted local price. 

Can you imagine someone at Disney world trying to ask for local discount in thai!

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:
16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Different provinces, different strokes...

When renewing my DL last year I was told that I didn't need the Medical Certificate (by the person manning a front desk)...  when submitting my documentation I was asked for......  a Medical Certificated... I of course questioned this, but was told it was a requirement (this was DLT in Bangkok, Sukhumvit).

In this case, I wasted the Trip and associated stress of not have everything I needed and more !

For renewing the 5 year one?

Strange. Are you over 60?

Nowhere near 60...  

It may have just been the person I was dealing with who just expected to see the Medical Cert.

Or, it may perhaps have been because I was attempting to renew 5 year DL, but because I was not on a Non-Imm Visa I was only able to renew to a 2 year temp DL. 

Others (on a Thai Elite Visa) have been able to renew a 5 year to another 5 year... 

Again... the point made was that Different Provinces have a different interpretation of the regulations / rules / requirements - its best to be prepared for this. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Nowhere near 60...  

It may have just been the person I was dealing with who just expected to see the Medical Cert.

Or, it may perhaps have been because I was attempting to renew 5 year DL, but because I was not on a Non-Imm Visa I was only able to renew to a 2 year temp DL. 

Others (on a Thai Elite Visa) have been able to renew a 5 year to another 5 year... 

Again... the point made was that Different Provinces have a different interpretation of the regulations / rules / requirements - its best to be prepared for this. 

There's the reason, it's  only when renewing a 5/6 year for another 5/6 years that a medical is not required. This is national and the same for Thai citizens.

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There's the reason, it's  only when renewing a 5/6 year for another 5/6 years that a medical is not required. This is national and the same for Thai citizens.

Not correct for all areas. I renewed my 5 year and needed a medical certificate.

My wife renewed hers 4 days ago and she also needed a medical certificate.

So always check your province. In fact my advise as they only cost 100bht is get one anyway.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:20 AM, Issannative said:

You need med for the 2 to 5 after that no need for med

every time I have renewed my 5 year licence I have had to produce a medical certificate, last time was only  a few months ago, it is actually listed on their requirements list 

On 8/24/2019 at 6:39 PM, Fairynuff said:

Its just another one of those badges of 'I am more expat than you'

Pathetic! You don’t want one fine don’t have one but why not spend your day doing something other than trying to put down those of us who KNOW that we have found it useful. 

Primarily you're right. Just one of those badges.

However, my wife was getting her ID card changed and I went along with her. It was a spur of the moment thing for me. All took less than an hour which I would have spent there waiting for my wife anyway. No real time wasted and free. Broke the boredom up too.

However, I have to say it has proved useful (although not essential) several times since.

Pathetic? I would say thats's a troll comment. Up to the individual. Nobody's making you get one.

Edit. Realised that I should have quoted @LivinLOS's original post not yours. I do apologise. Can't alter it but assume that he'll get the message.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fourpack said:

Not correct for all areas. I renewed my 5 year and needed a medical certificate.

5 hours ago, seajae said:

every time I have renewed my 5 year licence I have had to produce a medical certificate, last time was only  a few months ago, it is actually listed on their requirements list 

I've renewed my licence three times now in Chonburi. I've never needed a medical certificate for a renewal. I also renew my licence using just my yellow book and pink ID card so my licence contains my Thai ID number instead of my passport number.

I realise it's not the same everywhere, for some it's not so straight forward BUT for those posting what documents are/aren't required for them, it would be beneficial to other readers on here to also post the area they are referring to so they can go prepared.  

• Like 1

Biggest problem I've had with my yellow book is trying to change the address in it , I've never managed to do it , my new province  say I need to go back to the province where the book was issued to get a confirmation paper confirming I've asked to change my address , but at the issuing office at my old province they want the same confirmation paper confirming I'm living in the new province so catch 22 .

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You are wrong. This get a reduced price. Try reading the signs.

Semantics, whatever language it is in. 

Fancy believing what signs say, in Thailand of all places. 

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, sumrit said:

I've renewed my licence three times now in Chonburi. I've never needed a medical certificate for a renewal. I also renew my licence using just my yellow book and pink ID card so my licence contains my Thai ID number instead of my passport number.

I realise it's not the same everywhere, for some it's not so straight forward BUT for those posting what documents are/aren't required for them, it would be beneficial to other readers on here to also post the area they are referring to so they can go prepared.  

Does it really matter 100bht for a medical cert is hardly breaking the bank.

Last two times I have had to change my 5 year due to it running out was  Chonburi they wanted a med cert 5yr to 5yr and the last time Khon Kaen they wanted a med 5 yr to 5yr.

As a postscript I used my yellow book but not on any licence has my Thai ID been put on always my passport number. But that's by the by really as it makes sod all difference in reality.

Plus as we have both said we use yellow book and both quoted Chomburi yet multitudes on different threads have been adament that they do not accept yellow books. So it could be as is the case most with most Thai government offices things may change from day to day.

Edited by fourpack

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

Does it really matter 100bht for a medical cert is hardly breaking the bank.

Last two times I have had to change my 5 year due to it running out was  Chonburi they wanted a med cert 5yr to 5yr and the last time Khon Kaen they wanted a med 5 yr to 5yr.

As a postscript I used my yellow book but not on any licence has my Thai ID been put on always my passport number. But that's by the by really as it makes sod all difference in reality.

Plus as we have both said we use yellow book and both quoted Chomburi yet multitudes on different threads have been adament that they do not accept yellow books. So it could be as is the case most with most Thai government offices things may change from day to day.

First of all, for me, it's CONVENIENCE. If I didn't use my yellow book for proof of residence every time I wanted one, I'd have to go all the way to Pattaya IO for a residence certificate. (that's half a day from where I live)

Which Chonburi licence office did you go to where your yellow book was refused? To the best of my knowledge, Muang Chonburi have always accepted them. I have heard stories of Pattaya  licencing office refusing the yellow book and insisting on people having a residence certificate from Jomtien IO. Rumour has it that they charge 500 Baht for the 'free' residence certificate at Jomtien and split the proceeds with the licencing office.

I go to the licencing office in Muang, Chonburi on the Sukumvit, not far from Amata and almost next to the IPE sports university/college. They have renewed my licence three times, using just my yellow book AND pink ID card each time. (twice for a normal renewal and once to replace a lost/stolen licence). Never needed a doctors medical certificate for those renewals. If you use your yellow book for proof of residence but your passport for ID they will put your passport number on your driving licence. If you use your yellow book for residence AND your PINK ID CARD for ID they will put your Thai ID number on your driving licence.

But each to his own.

Edited by sumrit