Landlord won't file TM30, may compromise my visa

2 hours ago, Boy Wonder said:

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Can someone recommend a good course of action for me? I'd like to take the path of least resistance and leave all extreme scenarios as a last resort.

File it ny yourself. The only thing it comes down to is that they want to know where you stay. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

No-one can take your passport, and it is technically illegal not to carry it with you 24/7 in Thaialnd

Many situations where passport can be withheld. One example is denied entry at airport. Many others. As for mentioned requirement year or so back about need to carry pp at all times, I can not show a report where it was issue. Perhaps needed to go to hotel or whatever to provide. Some folk have screenshot or hardcopy print out. Really not necessary. 

• Confused 2

Suppose the owner of a condo is a foreigner, and he rents it to a tenant who is another foreigner. Does the foreign owner get a yellow book instead of a blue book, and would the tenant take that to immigration, maybe with the owner's passport or pink ID instead of a Thai citizen ID? What happens to the tenant's TM30 made by a Thai owner, if the Thai owner sells the condo to a foreigner in the middle of the lease? For that matter, is the new foreign owner bound by the existing lease?

10 minutes ago, dave s said:

Suppose the owner of a condo is a foreigner, and he rents it to a tenant who is another foreigner. Does the foreign owner get a yellow book instead of a blue book, and would the tenant take that to immigration, maybe with the owner's passport or pink ID instead of a Thai citizen ID? What happens to the tenant's TM30 made by a Thai owner, if the Thai owner sells the condo to a foreigner in the middle of the lease? For that matter, is the new foreign owner bound by the existing lease?

What happens if your Auntie is actually your Uncle. Work around it. Many people are in very many various situations. The fall back position is file TM30 yourself as possessor. Job done. 

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, wgdanson said:

No-one can take your passport, and it is technically illegal not to carry it with you 24/7 in Thaialnd

I have always worried about that happening in immigration. One day they may demand one of their no receipt fines, and my thought was, for example, I will just go to Singapore or KL for a few days and sod the 90 day report. If they have my passport and refuse to return it, that would be difficult.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

you should not be staying with someone who does not comply with Thailand's rules about foreigners and gives excuses about taxes etc.  the 'this is Thailand' excuse or 'I am a poor Thai person'.

not just immigration, you yourself should also be concerned. 

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

you should not be staying with someone who does not comply with Thailand's rules about foreigners and gives excuses about taxes etc.  the 'this is Thailand' excuse or 'I am a poor Thai person'.

not just immigration, you yourself should also be concerned. 

That is a very narrow minded post. Assuming "staying with someone" means renting somewhere. There are so so many examples in all these tm30 threads where its not straight forward. I'm thinking the people on tourist visas are typing stuff like ....just move.... report owner..

List goes on. Xpats on extensions etc don't want to move over a tm30 nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

My friend wants to change his address, the immigration asked him to fill TM 28, the land lord filled it up in Thai language and signed it, and gave photocopy of his ID but refused to give copy of the house registration. My friend explained that to the officer who also insisted in getting the copy of house registration. What he should do next. for further details he had a retirement visa issued in Chonburi, where he used to spend several months a year and the rest in Bangkok. He left during covid-19 back home for two years, then came back to apply for non-o visa. His money still in the bank untouched and now can't change his address to Bangkok where he has a long term house rent contract. Any body faced similar problem ?

On 8/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, wgdanson said:

I was told by an Immigration official that a copy of my passport was acceptable.. Who’s right?

23 minutes ago, bjhabal said:

,the land lord filled it up in Thai language and signed it, and gave photocopy of his ID but refused to give copy of the house registration. 

Why does Immigration allow a landlord to be so cavalier in breaking the rules? Isn’t a landlord REQUIRED to comply??

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, Boy Wonder said:

I asked my visa representation this and they specifically told me that it must be done by the landlord...can you please refer me to where I can file this myself?

What they told you is utter rubbish.

Can be done with an application named SECTION 38, check on App/Google store.

I have done thru the application several times, never a problem.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Could OP try registering the apartment in the Section 38 app using his ID, the lease, and the owner's ID?

If he gets through the system he can file his own TM30 with the app.

If it doesn't register, he's only wasted ten minutes.

I have successfully done several times, the app works like a charm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

I have successfully done several times, the app works like a charm.

And the app does not require a TM6 or an ending date.  We left both blanks blank and were successful.

I read somewhere the online version still needs the TM6 but can't say from personal experience.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, Boy Wonder said:

I asked my visa representation this and they specifically told me that it must be done by the landlord...can you please refer me to where I can file this myself?

Your "visa representation" is not very bright. As offered earlier, a tenant can self-file a TM30 as 'Possessor' of the property.

Also, since you already have copies of the landlords ID and the Tibian Bahn, you can submit the TM 30 and either you or your useless "visa representation" can sign it, copying the landlords signature. The IO doesn't really care to check that signature anyway. It's simply a bureaucratic box checking exercise.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Your "visa representation" is not very bright. As offered earlier, a tenant can self-file a TM30 as 'Possessor' of the property.

Also, since you already have copies of the landlords ID and the Tibian Bahn, you can submit the TM 30 and either you or your useless "visa representation" can sign it, copying the landlords signature. The IO doesn't really care to check that signature anyway. It's simply a bureaucratic box checking exercise.

Are you aware that he asked the question three years ago ?

• Haha 2

Well, the officer wrote a note to the landlord and ask him to deliver it, however the landlord insisted of refusing to comply. He only agreed to give a photocopy of his army ID (Major General). After a short conversation with the immigration officer, which seems unhappy with the result, she asked him why he did not notify his return to the immigration next day he arrived and demanded him to pay 800 baht fine. My friend agreed to pay (though he entered in exempt 30 days visa as his retirement visa was cancelled due to his absence for 2 years). Finally the officer accept to change the address and the problem solved. Thanks to everyone who replied trying to help.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, Tanoshi said:

Completed TM30.

Copy of passport photo page.

Copy of current Visa

Copy of TM6

Copy of entry stamp

Copy of Lease

Date the TM30 the same day as posting.

Send EMS, with a pre paid EMS return envelope for the receipt.

Foreigners can register online, by mail, or in person as the owner,tenant or possessor.

I've been doing it myself for the last 6 year and recently registered for the online reporting.

Many people say you also need a signed copy of the owner’s ID and housebook as well.  Is that not the case? Also, if you need to show a lease (e.g. for retirement extension) how will it work to just check into a hotel for a night or two to get them to register a TM30? Where will you get a lease for that address?