Driving from Bangkok to Roi Et (sightseeing advice?)

shootrrdave

Phimai is good for a look around, the old city and the musuem.

Depends on how much time you have but a half day is worthwhile.

Driving from Bangkok would see you in Phimai in the afternoon, stay the night and spend the next day sightseeing.

19 hours ago, shootrrdave said:

I want to sightsee a little bit. 2 days tops

Go via Khao Yai, stop off at the Imperial Khorat (was the Dusit; nice hotel), in the morning visit Phimai on the way to Roi-et [[about 8hrs 15mins total drive - busier roads].

Or,

Go via Chachoengsao (304), nice quiet road to Sa Kaew (359), up to Prasat Muang Tam then to Phanom Rung [5hr drive], then 1hr drive to sleep in Buriram (Amari & Best Western; good hotels), in the morning visit Football ground, racing stadium, etc, then on the way to Roi-et. [about 8hrs 15mins total drive - quieter roads]

Plotted from Bangna.

Having done both of the above several times, the latter is better in my opinion (and of Phimai, Phanom Rung and Prasat Muang Tam, i prefer the latter which i visited during restoration and after - lovely place)

Ayutthaya you can visit anytime if you live in BKK

Do let us know what you eventually did.

If you have time and you aren't templed out yet a stop at Wat Phra Phutthabat  near Saraburi is well worth a visit.. one of the most revered temples in Thailand.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Phra_Phutthabat

...I tried to locate with a Google map but Google wouldn't allow it.. easy to find though.. about 22 ks north of Saraburi..

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Khao Yai is worth a stop if you like nature.

He could even drive BKK to

Chachongsao get on the 319 to Nakhon Nayok then get on the 3077 (changes to 2090) and go in 

the southern entrance of Khao Yai, drive through KY stopping at a waterfall, view point and tourist  centre, out the northern entrance on to 2090 to the mittrapah highway (route 2) and then through Khorat to Phimai; stop off in Khao Yai area near Palio / Juldis, loads of hotels, continue to Phimai next morning. I sometimes come back from Khao Yai through the park (reverse of the above). Nice route avoiding most the traffic and driving through KY is great.

PM if the route isn't clear.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Learning towards Phimai just because of its logistical  advantage but the detour thru Khao Yai sounds interesting. 

I'll be picking up my sister and brother-in-law at BKK early AM on the 29th. Vegetate awhile at my apt at Saphan Sung then head out. They are due in Roi Et on the evening of the 30th. I'll let them make the final choice. 

Archived